Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK....Bailey has always been a barky dog...very unfriendly to strangers. He has never bitten anyone but will nip at male stangers heels if they are in our house.

Well...since our older male dog passed away last month....Bailey has become a totally different dog. Its so strange because none of the dogs really bark anymore. If someone rings the doorbell....not a peep. Use to be a barking freenzy.

My sister was here for 2 weeks and she was totally expecting Bailey to take 4 days to warm up to her and stop barking at her. He loved on her the minute she walked into the house:confused: She was commenting to me today at how he is a completely different dog from her last visit.

So I think Ive come to the conclusion that our dog that passed was the instigator of barking ....and somehow made Bailey aggressive:confused:

Does anyone know if this is normal behavior when you have more than one male and one of the males is no longer in the pack?

Im deeply saddened by the passing of our fur baby but at the same time...I am happy with the change.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That wouldn't surprise me at all especially b'c they are both male--its really likely they were always in competition. A dog can very likely seem aggressive because he's got to be bigger, tougher, something like that, than the other male. NO ONE barks when Laurel is gone. But she is a yackity yappity yapper and barks at EVERYTHING and gets everyone else going. Ugh, ... drives me nuts, but anyway, when she's gone, no barking at all, and everyone becomes more friendly because they don't sense reason to be on edge.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I find dogs can really play off each others behavior, especially with something like barking. I'm glad Pip and Roo aren't barkers. haha.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That wouldn't surprise me at all especially b'c they are both male--its really likely they were always in competition. A dog can very likely seem aggressive because he's got to be bigger, tougher, something like that, than the other male. NO ONE barks when Laurel is gone. But she is a yackity yappity yapper and barks at EVERYTHING and gets everyone else going. Ugh, ... drives me nuts, but anyway, when she's gone, no barking at all, and everyone becomes more friendly because they don't sense reason to be on edge.
That's what my house was like!! I never realized it was because of the older male. I swear...Im totally clueless some times:rolleyes: Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Nope, same way here. They play off one another, Gretel was my first fur-kid but Godric is alpha and she typically "falls into rank" but every now and then she acts out toward him and the tension between them is unmistakable.

You probably never noticed because you had become accustomed to it as the norm, I guess I am just sensitive to it because it seems like Gretel gets bullied and he's so much bigger than she is.

I can only imagine how it would be with two males, pfft.

**edited! I forgot to make my point!
If Gretel even pays attention to something Godric has to be first on scene and he'll yack at it till she quits paying attention.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!!! Im just happy Im seeing my sweet boy for who he really is:)

And to think....we had a dog trainer tell us to return him to the breeder when he was 5 mos old. She said there was no way he would get better and he was going to bite someone some day :rolleyes: But I knew there was sweetness in there......besides under all that bark.....was a big chicken :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Just make sure you are praising him for his good behaviours--it will reinforce them incase some of the old bad habits decide they want to rear their ugly head :) treats when no barking at someone new, all that good stuff :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just make sure you are praising him for his good behaviours--it will reinforce them incase some of the old bad habits decide they want to rear their ugly head :) treats when no barking at someone new, all that good stuff :)
Ahhh...thanks Kristi:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts