Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I registered about two seconds ago so please don't mind the barren account.

I worked at a vet and one day a family turned over this absolutely adorable puppy, saying they'd bought two from a breeder in Florida but just couldn't handle both at once. I was one of those "oh they're just little yappy lap dog" people until I started interacting with Lucy. I played with her for a few hours and paid her adoption fee at the end of my shift, I could NOT bear to leave her. She's so strangely intelligent and I adore watching her hold bones with her paws! If she had opposable thumbs I think she'd be some real trouble.

But anyway, she looked like a pretty standard chihuahua as a puppy, she has a deer head (she's spayed), I never thought anything much of it. But she's a little over a year now and she's quite big, almost ten pounds, and she doesn't resemble a chi very much at all anymore! I suspect she might be a mix, but the family that bought her originally still brings the other dog in and she's a straight up apple head chi, no doubt about it!

So I was wondering if some experienced people would take a look at Lucy's pics. Maybe chis look like this sometimes? I don't personally care what she is but I am a curious person.

This, hilariously, is the youngest picture I have of her. She was six or seven months here.

I'm pretty sure she's smooth coated, sometimes she looks a little wiry when her beard grows in but as far as I'm aware there's no such thing as a wire haired chihuahua.

& here's a profile/back pic:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You work ata vets right why not get adna test done?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Defo jack russle cross chi.
She is a beauty really is cute.
Her fur on her face is that of a jack
Her size is that of a jack
Her fur being wiery is that of a jack.

But those ears are chi
Her eyes are chi
And that look in her eye says she is defo a cheeky chihuahua.
Ow and her tail is chi jacks have shorter and fatter tails
She really is so cute

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She looks a terrier mix to me.

It is possible for a female to mate with more than one male during her cycle and have puppies sired by different dads. That could be the case if the littermate looks really different.

·
Registered
236 Posts
She does look to be jrt x chi.

My LeStat is a jrt x chi but I've had chi breeders say he looks pure chi.
His mother is definitely a mini jrt though...his sister looks like a jrt and weighs 14lbs...he looks like a chi and weighs 2.5lbs but the mother was only ever mated once by a 5lb chi!

I've known breeders, with a few different breeds, sell puppies 'as what they look like' rather than admit to a mismate after a planned mating!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh wow! In all my picture searching online I never even thought about a jrt mix! She DOES look like a jrt! As of recently I no longer work at the vet, or I would use that employee discount and get the DNA test done. It was something like $170 with the discount so I can't imagine what they'd charge without one, and I'm just not THAT curious. x]

Is a litter by two different dads a common thing to have happen? Her littermate has the exact same coloring and markings, but longer very soft fur and she was only two or three pounds last time I saw her.

·
Registered
225 Posts
She's SO cute. My lily is a Chi / terrier mix ( I believe border terrier), and she has wirey fur and a scruffy beard. I definetly think your Lucy is a chi / terrier mix. Most likely a jack russel. She's so very cute!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The sibling could still be JRT cross with Chi but look like a 100% Chi. I had a JRT x Chi growing up and she had a real apple head, protruding eyes and was about 5lb max but the rest of her litter mates looked more like what you would expect a JRT x Chi to look like. We always had people telling us she was a Chihuahua but she was from our neighbour so we saw her with her mum who was 100% JRT.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The sibling could still be JRT cross with Chi but look like a 100% Chi. I had a JRT x Chi growing up and she had a real apple head, protruding eyes and was about 5lb max but the rest of her litter mates looked more like what you would expect a JRT x Chi to look like. We always had people telling us she was a Chihuahua but she was from our neighbour so we saw her with her mum who was 100% JRT.
We have this happen to us all the time.

We were at a train station a while back and a woman who said she was a chi breeder told us that we were wrong about LeStat and that he was a pure chi and only about 9 weeks old!.......he was 15 months at the time.
When she asked me how long I'd had him I told her only a few weeks as we'd only just got him from my daughter. She said the people I got him from had lied about his age so I told her I bought him in July 2010 for my daughter so had seen his mother who was a jrt and a pic of his father who was a chi....she went away muttering how stupid I was!:foxes15:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
She is a cutie I believe she is chi/terrier.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I agree with the terrier / Chi mix, but not absolutely that it's a Jack Russell...I tend to lean towards that because of her colouring, but it could be a Cairn or various other coarse haired terriers, and the colouring could have come from anywhere.

Pedro is a Chi / Cairn mix - you can see him in my siggy. His hair is very coarse, although it's not as coarse now as it was when we got him - he never had anything other than cat food until he came to live with us.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Our Pippin was to be a teacup chi LOL But we knew from the minute we saw him he wasnt.But we took him anyway. We ended up doing a DNA test ordered online for 80$. He turned out to be 30% chihuahua The rest of him 10 to 20% of Jack Russell, Corgi, Bichon Frise and a German shorthair pointer made up the rest.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Our Pippin was to be a teacup chi LOL But we knew from the minute we saw him he wasnt.But we took him anyway. We ended up doing a DNA test ordered online for 80$. He turned out to be 30% chihuahua The rest of him 10 to 20% of Jack Russell, Corgi, Bichon Frise and a German shorthair pointer made up the rest.
wow...what a combination !!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
This pup is adorable !! She is certainily showing her terrier side --what a lovely look she has !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts