Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately zoey's rear end has been smelling pretty nasty. this from a dog who has never had an odor.

i'm wondering if maybe her anal sacs are full and that's what smells so bad. i really can't think of anything else. we even gave her rear end a bath!! :shock: she has only scooted once or twice in the past 2 weeks. will the sacs burst if they get too full?

anyone ever had this problem before? sometimes it's so bad i can't even have her sit on my lap!! :(

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
That's probably what it is. :shock: It is the most disgusting smell in the world. :shock: It's easy for the vet to express them and some people even do it themselves. :shock: I leave that nasty job for the vet! :D

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she only dragged her butt on the floor twice in the past 2 weeks. before when her sacs needed checking she was constantly dragging her butt. :shock:

she does seem to be licking herself a bit more than usual but she isn't constipated or anything. and her poops have been totally normal. out vet sort of showed us how to do it and my boyfriend tried and he said they didn't feel full and nothing came out on the tissue.

i think we might have to take her to the vet so they can do it. the problem is that the vet is 2 hours away!! maybe we can find a local one to do it for us this time.... :roll: i really cannot stand the smell....

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
groomers do it! You may have one closer and they usually are cheaper from what I have been told.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Go to your vet to get it done, or a local one, because groomers do NOT get all of it out and many people come to there vets complaining that the dog is still dragging there bum on the floor because groomers dont get it all out -- they do it from the outside, vets do it from inside. (found this out tonight)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kurrazie said:
Go to your vet to get it done, or a local one, because groomers do NOT get all of it out - they do it from the outside, vets do it from inside. (found this out tonight)
I beg to differ just a bit. people sucessfully do it themselves and I guarantee that most do it from the outside :shock: ......there are good groomers and bad as there are good vets and bad.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kemo's mamma said:
I beg to differ just a bit. people sucessfully do it themselves and I guarantee that most do it from the outside :shock: ......there are good groomers and bad as there are good vets and bad.

yeah, i agree- some just don't know how to do it right. but our appt w/ the groomer isnt till the end of this month and i don't want zoey to wait that long.

i would gladly do it --i just don't think we've got the hang of it yet. hopefully a vet can squeeze zoey in (LITERALLY! HAH!) in the next few days. :lol:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
Kurrazie said:
Go to your vet to get it done, or a local one, because groomers do NOT get all of it out - they do it from the outside, vets do it from inside. (found this out tonight)
I agree. My vet does it from outside also. It's not about who does it, it's about how good you are at doing it.....if you know what I mean.
It was hard to learn at the beginning but I think we can do a pretty good job now. At least we save some money. It is a little disgusting to do and it doesn stink a lot but there is worse. I wear gloves and believe me not THAT much comes out.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ok -- I'm just saying, alot of groomers on the average dont get it all out. Some probably do, and people who are not groomers or vets probably sucessfully do it fine outside as well. Don't take me wrong -- i'm just saying if you got it done by an exspericened vet or someone who knows how to do it.. It'd be fine.. Alot of employees these days dont know what they are doing.. I've stumbled accross alot of bad assistants.. I could list examples but i've gotta run! ttyl :wave:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we found a really great vet only 10 minutes from my apartment!! we are so pleased... my boyfriend took zoey in today and they expressed her sacs and the vet said that was for sure the problem. he did a complete physical and said she's perfect. our other vet didn't even take her temp when we took her in last time. grr....

it stinks because after i graduate i'll have to find yet another vet to take her to back home!

at least zoey won't smell anymore though!! yay! :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oh good! I'm sure Zoey is more comfortable and I know you are glad to get rid of that smell. :shock: :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hey Colleen, did your vet say anything about how often we should do this? I am asking, cuz we had Lola's done about a month ago and I just noticed a strange odor coming from her tonight, it is a weird smell, not really a "poopy" smell, just a real strong yucky one. So I wonder if she needs to have them done again?? :? Glad Zoe smells nice now and you found a new vet you like!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no, he didn't say-- but i'm guessing that if lola has a strange odor coming from her rear she has to have hers done again. :( isnt it the worst smell? it isnt like poop really-- more like musky i think. i think that some dogs need it done more often that others. and if you are needing to get them emptied very very often, sometimes as a last resort, vets will remove the sacs..

our vet said that if zoey needs to have it done more than 1x a month then he'll give us a seminar on how to do it correctly. :lol: hopefully we won't need that seminar....

·
Registered
16 Posts
colleen13 said:
no, he didn't say-- but i'm guessing that if lola has a strange odor coming from her rear she has to have hers done again. :( isnt it the worst smell? it isnt like poop really-- more like musky i think. i think that some dogs need it done more often that others. and if you are needing to get them emptied very very often, sometimes as a last resort, vets will remove the sacs..

our vet said that if zoey needs to have it done more than 1x a month then he'll give us a seminar on how to do it correctly. :lol: hopefully we won't need that seminar....
oh hey guys not you got me thinkin...Brain doesn't smell but when we first got him he'd drag alot so i thought he had worms but they gave him the dewormer at the shelter and never saw anything in his poop. He doesnt drag as often but He does lick his behind ALOT!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I have read that they also rub their backs on the ground too. Mr. Peepers does that every morning when he wakes up, he rubs his back on the ground and sometimes during the day. He doesn't drag his butt at all but does lick though. But no smell. I think I'll take him to the vet. They need to get some stuff done anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts