Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a strange question, I am starting up doing my FLYLady routines again FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home worked on shining my sink (basically scrubbing it and then soaking it in bleach water for about an hour), and it's stained yellow. Was wondering if anyone knows anything that might get the staining off? I used Bar Keepers Friend to scrub it (that stuff is freaking amazing, it go rust off my countertops). I'm wondering if I soak it every day for a while if that will work? Dunno.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was a little stained when we moved in, but it's definitely getting worse :-( A white sink/countertop would NOT have been my choice...if we owned we'd be replacing both.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
If it's rust generally bleach will "set it" and make it a difficult removal - source: my mom, hater of white sinks.

You could try a low grit sandpaper.

P.S. Do you like FlyLady? I tried starting it, but I couldn't get into it.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's rust generally bleach will "set it" and make it a difficult removal - source: my mom, hater of white sinks.

You could try a low grit sandpaper.

P.S. Do you like FlyLady? I tried starting it, but I couldn't get into it.
I have tried & started FLYLady MANY times, but this time I'm going to make it stick lol, I HAVE to my house is in utter CHAOS (Can't have anyone over syndrome) and I'm tired of living in the clutter.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The problem w/ sanding it I'd think would be that it would open the pores of the sink material and give more yuckies the chance to set in.

I was looking at the fly lady thing, it seems interesting but I know I would suck at sticking with it lol.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I am so lucky that Miles helps me around the house...its embarrassing but I think he does more than me :-/ I do the fine tuning and heavy cleaning, but trash, laundry, vacuuming, light cleaning, dishes...he does those. He always gets to changing the sheets 1 day before I am finally motivated to do it, too...so I am really lucky, but I feel guilty I have to wait til something's bad to do it. I was not like this before starting the job I am in but I am just so drained I feel useless by the end of the day. But it would be nice to have more freedom to ojust invite friends to pop over :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I feel you on that one, I work 10 hour days and have a 35min-1 hour commute depending on traffic, I am so drained when I get home I don't want to do anything, which is why I like FLYLady as it's not doing EVERYTHING every day, it's steps and weekly zones and such. There are even tools and an app that has the zone lists for android phones (which helps me out tons). My problem is I get discouraged/overwhelmed with everything and give up before I start. Rob will do a load of dishes here and there, and sometimes help pick up but that's about it....it would be nice if he could/would do more though, it's a lot to do when you work Full Time.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh I feel you on that one, I work 10 hour days and have a 35min-1 hour commute depending on traffic, I am so drained when I get home I don't want to do anything, which is why I like FLYLady as it's not doing EVERYTHING every day, it's steps and weekly zones and such. There are even tools and an app that has the zone lists for android phones (which helps me out tons). My problem is I get discouraged/overwhelmed with everything and give up before I start. Rob will do a load of dishes here and there, and sometimes help pick up but that's about it....it would be nice if he could/would do more though, it's a lot to do when you work Full Time.
It is...but its amazing to me that hubby doesn't ever seem tired or exhausted b'c he likes his job and he doesn't feel taken advantage of. Your commute is killer...if you ask Rob to do stuff will he or is it like...uhhgghhhh why you ask me to do that?

Putting the house in zones sounds good...I just don't know if I'd go log in to a website every day to find out what was next...

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is...but its amazing to me that hubby doesn't ever seem tired or exhausted b'c he likes his job and he doesn't feel taken advantage of. Your commute is killer...if you ask Rob to do stuff will he or is it like...uhhgghhhh why you ask me to do that?

Putting the house in zones sounds good...I just don't know if I'd go log in to a website every day to find out what was next...
They send you emails each day reminding you of your 'daily' tasks, the Zones are a weekly thing and at the beginning of the week they send an email with an overview of the Zone & what needs to be done each day, they do have a 'control' journal you can buy, but each Zone repeats the same week each month, so 1st week is this....then the next month you do the same Zone the 1st week.

Rob will do things, and he has gotten a lot better about helping out since he's lost more weight, his joints bother him quite a bit sometimes so it's harder for him to do things, but he is pretty good about it. He works graves and always comes home in the mornings exhausted. Housework is hard when you both work fulltime. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like when we have kids.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've never heard of Flylady before, I was looking it over, is the second day really just getting dressed? also dry the sink everytime you use it? well o-k but I have teenagers who are up much later than I am and I am sure they won't wipe the sink, so I guess there is no way I'm gonna get up to a shiney sink.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
It was wintermint commercial spray cleaner

I can only think of one thing that whitens white enamel.
When I was a cleaning lady for my cousins firm we did
medical offices etc.We had a commercial mint scent spray
on cleaner we used in the sinks.I used to do my dads white
enamel sink at home and it gradually whitened it to new
looking after about a week.Do they use any product like this
in your dads vet practice? It was wintermint scent and
worked really well.It came in the commercial gallon size.
Sorry I cant be of more help.

Also my mom used Zud on her sink.
It was sorta abrasive though like Ajax.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
You can try white distilled vinegar and baking soda. Sometimes I use this as a natural cleaner and it gets white white like tiles and such that are stained.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts