Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm struggling to get Ax and Chloe's poop consistent on raw.Not sure if this is because i'm still dealing with puppy's who go 3 and 4 times a day so its not forming into 1 bowel movement.

They're ending up with runny poop after eggs or organs even though I feed these with meat. When I feed bone they are pooping grey and chalky. They are only having decent poop on 100% muscle meat meals.

Should I try feeding bone and organ together as a meal? I did this last night but the bone I fed was chicken neck which is very boney and I fed only a tiny bit of organ so they had chalky poop again this morning.

How do you all do it? do you rotate seperate meals of meat, bone and organ or do you feed little bits of each at once? I'm thinking this might be the way to go but it would be time consuming up front to measure everything out. Plus I prefer that they eat their boney meals outside and i wash their faces and paws afterwards but I just don't have time for that in the morning.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Most dogs have runny poop after eating eggs and/or organs. If I feed those, I feed WITH a chicken wing segment so the bone helps to keep things firm. I keep a baggy of chicken wing tips in the freezer. Brody will eat them frozen, so I just throw him one if I see a loose stool. That firms him right up.

Puppies tend to poop more than adult dogs. Be careful not to overfeed as that can cause loose stools as well. Don't let them get roly poly, you want to keep them lean for healthy joints.

I tend to do a couple of meat only meals. Followed by a bony meal. Then a couple more meat only meals, then a bony meal with a bit or organ, etc. Brody needs a bony meal about 3 times a week, so that works for us. Some dogs need a bit more or a bit less. Chalky, dry poop that is crumbly indicates too much bone.

I also don't stress too much over poop, unless it is diarrhea (loose, watery and lots of it). Last night Brody had a chunk of lamb for dinner. Then David gave him two treats and they were both freeze dried liver (which I only give about once a week and in tiny, pea sized amounts). He gave him 2 whole chunks of it. I knew he'd be loose this morning. And he was. So for breakfast he got a chunk of pork, a teaspoon of tripe, and a chicken wing segment. I'm sure he'll be firm again tomorrow when he goes. What goes in - comes out. Just like people. ;)

Be sure not to overfeed bone. It's OK in the beginning but you will eventually be feeding mostly meat, a little bone, a smidge of organs. You might try the chicken wing tip trick, they are tiny so most dogs don't make a mess of eating them (Brody just crunches his a few times and down it goes), but they can work great for firming up the occasional loose stool.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, eggs & organs can make for a messy poop! I am a " casserole" type feeder....I give a little chicken neck ( I grind mine so no mess) with most all meals. I also mix my eggs with the meat always as well as the liver/kidney to avoid to much richness. A little teaspoon of ground necks with each feeding gives a good bone ratio, no mess and nice poops. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tiny its 5 moths, she has always have loose stools, and i dont know why, should i try chicken wings tips, or should i feed her a little less to see if it firms up a little??

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Tiny its 5 moths, she has always have loose stools, and i dont know why, should i try chicken wings tips, or should i feed her a little less to see if it firms up a little??
I'd try both.... a little less food and a chicken wing tip. She should firm right up. Sometimes it is a balancing act finding the right ratio of meat to bone.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to be busy on the weekend snipping the tips off my 2kg bag of chicken wings!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts