Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Paige is very nervous. he spends most if the time with her tail tucked between her legs. Shes getting better, slowly. She loves treats. But for the life of me I can not get her to play. She dosent really play with the other dogs, but she does interact with them. Esp Darcy, but she refuses to play with toys. I keep trying with all different kind of toys, but nope shes having none of it

Any ideas? Im completely stumped on this one.

Here is a pic of Billy trying to play with her.

And heres one of her trying to play with Poppy.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

We are starting to get there, shes completely submissive, but would appreciate some help or advice please. xx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It make me really sad her belly is so low to the ground :( poor baby she will get there but I think she is going to take a lot of time

Tbh I think all you can do is keep trying roll balls to her and if she shows interest give her a treat as she is so food orientated and keep going eventually she will show some interest!!

Shell get there rache I think she just needs to learn how to be a dog :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think time will be your friend. When we first got Lily we thought she was "broken" She NEVER played with anything or anyone. One day she picked up one of the many toys we bought for her and started playing. It was only for a quick min, but the times got longer and longer. Now she runs and fetches and plays with her toys and us. We/she is still working on her being comfortable playing with other dogs. On Saturday at the dog park she played one on one with a small dog nicely. She will run with and chase other dogs in groups. I'm hoping in time she will too like to play with other dogs and just venture out at the dog park and play.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
What about a stuffed kong????
Since she is food orientated you could roll on too her too see if she gets excited and maybe she will play with it!! She may take time too get adjusted too your home i have found this after bringing an older boy in he took his time although loved the rest of the gang but it took him a little time with us before his personality really came through now he is a total love bug!
She is beautiful though!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww the wee soul!
I agree, she will come round in time.
Some of them dont always play with toys, Daisy never really bothers with them, she prefers a warm lap and a bully stick.
Since adding Dillon though she will sometimes take a toy away for a very short time, or kick up a blanket. lol
I recently found she likes cat toys, the ones on string, she likes me to drag them and she will chase for a wee bit then get bored. haha!!
I just think she never really got a lot of attention or to play with toys before coming to me bless her, and being older it takes time.

If playing with balls, roll it away from her not towards her or she may get scared.
I found that with mine to start with.

She is adorable Rache, such a wee beauty! xx

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Terri. I did wonder if you had experienced the same kind of thing with Daisy. I got some of those kong mini balls today so I will see what happens tomorrow.

I was just putting them all to bed and she got all excited and silly with pixies pink blanket. She was trying to play I'm convinced!! She kept pawing at my hands and her tail was going mad, I kept talking to her in a silly high pitched voice and for a minute or so she was showing signs of playing! Then she started to clean pixies ears. Was so sweet! Lol

Will def get her a kong tomorrow and try the balls. Will update on how we get on xx

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I really hope it works Rachael!
I know it did with some of mine! But others it might not!
I really do think she will come round
If not food when greeting her might help and holding her and giving food like chicken will also help i know if they come from show homes they will do anything for food (mine would do the same) All i have too do is shake a bag and say stand and all eyes are on me! Then i give treats like i do and play with them with toys mine loves teddys and chews like kongs and kong balls !!
Fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Have you tried getting on the floor & playing with her yourself; kissing her & fooling with her. My chi don't play either, but most the time if I lay on the floor she'll come & kiss me & roll all over & play with me; only me.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
She'll come along honey. Don't worry. They all learn differently. She just needs to feel comfortable. My eight year old rescue will even grab a toy here and there and join in the fun but it took months and months. Good luck and she is truly an angel. You're a great momma.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It took months for Reggie to learn to play. Then one day, he grabbed the other end of a toy Gonzo was dragging around and slowly started playing more and more. Now he plays all the time. Twiggy won't play much, every once and a while she will grab a chew toy and munch on it a bit by herself or play with a blanket. She used to play with the puppies until they got to big. And she never plays with me, though she loves having her belly rubbed. But she still is a work in progress. Tico plays with Billy only. He never plays with toys.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I really hope it works Rachael!
I know it did with some of mine! But others it might not!
I really do think she will come round
If not food when greeting her might help and holding her and giving food like chicken will also help i know if they come from show homes they will do anything for food (mine would do the same) All i have too do is shake a bag and say stand and all eyes are on me! Then i give treats like i do and play with them with toys mine loves teddys and chews like kongs and kong balls !!
Fingers crossed for you!
She makes lotus look brave lol it's quite sad coz she walks with her tummy as low to the ground as possible :(

Tbh i think and I only met her for like an hour lol she needs to learn to become a dog i think rachels pack will help as they are really pesistant with other dogs!!

Rache I think her cleaning pixies ears and pixie letting her is a huge sign of acceptance!!'

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi Rache I am sure it will just take time, she has to adjust to alot of new things but I am sure you and your dogs will get help her. Teddy loves the little foam balls and ones that jingle too. Let us all know how she gets on xx

·
Registered
644 Posts
poor little sweetheart.

Stottie was just the same when he came to us.
his idea of a good time was to rub his back on the bottom stair :(
he'd yelp and hide or come scuttling to me if Dief was in a bouncy mood.

i took things slowly with him. i'd lay on the floor and call him over for cuddles, back scratchies and tickles.
then we moved on to wriggling my fingers near his paws and he started to pat at my hands and mouth at my fingers.
then onto a cat's kibble ball with some of his favourite orijen in it and he got the idea to roll it around with his nose and then to swat at it.

i discovered he was fascinated with paper so i'd slowly scrunch up a ball and roll it around or flick it. it's now his most favourite thing to play with so the house is constantly covered in "confetti" :)
i tied knots in both ends of one of my old long socks and dragged it around infront of Stottie until he got the idea to chase and tug on it.
we've progressed to small cat toys (an interesting observation here, both of my dogs prefer the toys that have catnip inside) and small, squeaky soft toys.

and here we are nearly ten months since he arrived and Stottie is playing like the best of them.
it gladdens my heart to see how different he is now, all sleek and shiney, plump and content. i almost cry with happiness to see him playing tug of war with Dief.

don't give up :)
slow and steady wins the race :D

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much everyone.

I have noticed a small improvement this morning. She jumped up at my legs this morning for the very first time and she let me rub her tummy. Right now all the pups are on the sofa playing, shes not really playing as such with them but shes not getting down and hiding so thats got to be a good thing! her tail is up but not quite her ears yet.

UPDATE!!! Shes jumping with them!!! hahaha Break thru!!!OMG SHES ACTUALLY PLAYING!

Im going to get her a kong in a bit when the baby wakes up.

Cant believe my camera is dead :-(

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww bless, that is really good news Rache!!
She is obviously starting to relax and feel part of the gang. x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts