Chihuahua People Forum banner

Stuborn pup - any advice?

940 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Brodysmom 
#1 ·
Maisies not really interested in eating her food - She gets very very excited when I start preparing their food, but when I put it down she refuses to eat it. She was crated with it for over an hour this morning and still refused it, and shes had her dinner an hour now and is refusing that too! Shes not given any treats etc if she doesnt eat.

Sarahs given me some great advice, just wondering if anyone else has any!

#3 ·
Trust me, shes getting nothing else at all! Agghhh shes such a pain Lol!

#4 ·
Tough love!!!! Make her hungry also maybe walk her for long before hand so she works up an appetite!! But yeah she's not small at all so making her hungry isn't going to affect her at all

It seems mega busy in your house so I would deffo try just u and her too shell learn o like her food

#6 ·
Are you still crating her & Pippi together when they eat? Is Pippi more dominant? Maisie may think if she's eating--she's eating Pippi's food. Just a thought.

If you're not doing so I'd start feeding them seperate for a while & yeah...tough love it. I hope she comes around soon!!

#7 ·
Yeah TBH I don't think feeding them together is wise, they are dogs, they are not people and they are not reasonable. Give them their space when they eat, that might help. You said she waits til Pippi is done which to me says its at least partially a dominance thing. Oakley waits to eat til the other 3 have unless shes in a room by herself.

#8 ·
I agree with the others. Separate them at mealtimes. Put her food down for 15 minutes, if she hasn't started in on it - take it away, throw it in the fridge, and try again tomorrow. A healthy dog won't starve itself.

Are you still doing chicken? She may be getting a bit tired of it, but some dogs eat the same bowl of kibble day after day their entire lives so you may just have to do some tough love. Once you start introducing other proteins, she will hopefully get her appetite back.

Brody's not a fish fan. He likes everything else so I don't offer it very often. And when I do, I usually give it with something he loves - like tripe. You will learn your dogs preferences over time. You will still decide what they eat - but they have their favorite things to eat just like we do. :)

#9 ·
No - Pip eats by her bed which is the other end of the room or in the kitchen, while Maisies still in the crate. We're not doing Chicken now, no. Moved on a few days ago - She just was refusing the Lamb!

Maisies now eaten it, an hour and a half later!

#10 ·
Glad she ate finally! It's an ongoing process, learning your dogs and how their little systems work. It's not unusual for Brody to occasionally fast himself and refuse to eat breakfast. He probably does it a couple times a week. I don't stress over it. As long as he is still in good body condition, it doesn't hurt him at all to skip a meal. He will eat the next time food is offered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.