Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Southwest canceled our flight from Boston to Denver tonight. So we figured oh well we left a day's buffer anyway so we would be home in time for work Tuesday. Oh no...OH NO...

Come to find out they do not have a single seat open on a plane going to Denver until FRIDAY

a) that is an extra $100 in parking

b) that is an extra $300+ in boarding fees for Laurel & Trigger

c) 3 days lost work income so negative $400 for me, much more for hubby

I DONT WANT MY DOGS STUCK AT THE BOARDING FACILITY FOR AN EXTRA WEEK! I miss my dogs :(

I don't want to be stuck HERE for an extra week!

I just don't even kind of understand how they even remotely think its OK to cancel a bunch of flights for no real reason (other than there "might" be weather tonight, in our DEPARTURE city, not our DESTINATION, mind you!)...and then just say oh well not our fault!! You're on your own...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Is the airport closed or just the issue with SW booked solid? If it is a SW issue, I'd find a way for one of you to get out on any plane, any airline. Sure it will not be cheap, but that way at least one of you can claim your car and rescue your babies!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Awww I'm so sorry, hun. How awful. :( I heard about the blizzard coming that way. I can imagine how much you miss your furbabies. That just sucks all around. I hope you can get out of there soon. ((HUGS))

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the airport closed or just the issue with SW booked solid? If it is a SW issue, I'd find a way for one of you to get out on any plane, any airline. Sure it will not be cheap, but that way at least one of you can claim your car and rescue your babies!
The airport is not closed, SW is just booked solid. There are only a few seats available and they are all very expensive, and the airport WILL be closed tomorrow as there is 2+ feet of snow expected starting tonight through tomorrow...multiple connections on those seats...and likelihood we will get stuck somewhere other than our destination.

We have 2 of our dogs with us but still...I feel awful for the other 2. We don't really have friends who can get them, either. The town is full of crappy people you just can't and don't want to trust, which is why we boarded them in the 1st place :-/

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sucks...we've just been checking and the only seats we have found that even really available are Wednesday and are more than triple what we paid initially, and those are going fast too...I guess we are just flat out stuck here until Friday. I WILL throw a fit to Southwest about the extra costs we incurred because of all this. Its one thing to cancel a flight because there IS weather but another ENTIRELY to say "well there MIGHT be weather" so we are canceling your flight. I used to work for an airline & they know weather is the only way they can force all costs on customers so it is so deceitful to try to say its weather when its flat out not, & screw people over in every way possible.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Wow, that's incredible. So sorry Kristi! That's really a hit financially, not to mention the dogs being stuck in a kennel for that extra time. Hope you can find a way to get home, the news is reporting huge delays and up to 20 inches of snow predicted in some parts of the northeast!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
wow, i dont think they should charge you a fee if you they had to cancel your flight. they should just get you on whatever flight they can get you on... i cant believe they are charging you a fee.
i'm an hour west of boston. not looking forward to all this snow :(

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
O no that sucks! Getting stuck somewhere random due to delays and cancellations is the worst! Id be super pissed, there definitely shouldnt be a charge for getting you on a different flight when they canceled it. Im sure you know more about how to get them to reimburse you than I would since you worked for an airline, but one time an airline lost my luggage, they delivered it to the house the next day (which was nice bc we were 2 hrs away from the airport) but we were still mad. My Dad has always been really good at getting mad and getting them to make it right, they didnt offer anything but he knew they are supposed to reimburse you when your luggage is misplaced. I was coming home from school over break, so didnt need anything, but if they delay your baggage they will reimburse you up to $100 in toiletries. I spent it all at Clinique and Bath and Body works, we gave them the receipts and they paid us back. Id call and make a stink and see what they will give you. If they cant/wont get you on another flight there should be some kind of compensation for your extra expenses.
I thought you had free flights?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I do have free STANDBY flights. But we don't try to use them around holidays. So we shelled out the cash for flights that we bought. We know its hectic this time of year. We left ourselves a day buffer as well, knowing full well you can and do get stuck this time of year. We also let our bosses know worst comes to worst we might miss a day of work. So really we planned for 2 days...But...well...6 days? I just don't even think its reasonable to expect someone to expect or anticipate that. We might as well travel back home in a wagon drug by horses if we are to expect a 6 day delay.

:-/ We did find friends to pick Laurel and Trigger up tomorrow...I'm a little nervous about it so I am not sure ... we'll see I guess. They called and offered. I just am not even sure what to do at this point.

Not a SINGLE airline has a flight out that gets in before Wednesday around 10pm, and they are 12+ hour travel days. B'c we have the 2 dogs w/ us we don't want a day that long for them, & also don't want to get stranded somewhere ELSE. Even still, once we get to Denver, we have a 7 hour drive to get back home.

All in all we are just 100% screwed. Their customer service isn't open until tomorrow and believe me I WILL get something from them, b'c we figure all in all it will be around a $2k "oops" after its all said and done from lost income, extra fees & stuff. :-/

Just please tell me how on earth 6 days is acceptable? Get an extra few airplanes here, and get us where you said you'd get us, as soon as the snow stops! GOOD GRIEF! On more than 1 occaision when I was flying as a flight attendant, our airline did that, or bought people any available seat on any flight they could find to get them there as soon as possible.

This is just one reason why SW is so cheap -- when you're screwed, you're screwd :-/

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ugh so so sorry Kristi.

I'll do woosah's for you :(

Our last trip, 2 hr drive and a 2.5hr flight, turned into 3hr drive and 6.5hr flight because of "inclement weather" only we were circling over the gulf of Mexico for the extra 4 hours because our destination was getting rained out - that of course till we ran out of fuel and had to fly BACK to corpus to refuel, and when we landed in Houston - dry everywhere.

Flight mess is by far the worst, i'd be one nasty you-know-what when that customer service opens. That is unacceptable, SIX DAYS? You've got to be kidding me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What a horrible way to end the holidays. I am glad you have some friends who can get Laurel and Trigger, I am sure they will be ok for a few days. Now if you can find a miracle and a couple of seats open up early tomorrow. I know about the standby tickets, if you REALLY need or want to be someplace, you better buy a ticket. It just sucks when you buy the ticket and you STILL get stranded. Is the airport hundreds of miles away, or can you stay with your family while you wait for open seats.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are staying w/ family, but the airport is 1 hr away.

I can see how the standby flights for United look at its awful...like not even going to be worth a try. So...I guess we are just stuck here until Friday.

I am not someone that likes to be a rabid bitch when something goes wrong but 6 days in unacceptable IMO. Not even KIND of acceptable. 2 days is the max I think is reasonable unless you are getting dumped on snow wise.

The tickets were NOT cheap in the 1st place either b'c we had to wait awhile to buy them while my boss hemmed and hawed about whether or not I could have an extra day off :-/

·
Registered
609 Posts
How incredibly frustrating. I hope something opens up and you don't have to wait that long! Safe trip home...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Wow that IS frustrating! :( Bless your heart I know you just want to get home to your babies! So sorry this is happening hon! *Hugs* You would think they would take some responsibility for this just out of kindness and try their best to fix/help the passengers out. It's not like this sort of thing happens daily so it's not going to kill them with money....it's unreal how cheap they are getting too. My stepdad flies to Scotland and for just a bit of leg space they were charging $100..... Yikes!!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup we are just hangin out ha...indefinitely.

I keep trying to find another way home but one just doesn't exist. It's a 3.5+ day drive too even IF a rental car company would rent a car out for that long of a one-way trip (they won't).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Can you catch a flight to Raleigh NC or Atlanta Ga to connect up to Denver?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I see there's a pm flight available to Raleigh then a tomorrow am to Denver

1 - 20 of 27 Posts