Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i was approached by a breeder a couple months ago. she wanted to breed one of her females with my punky. i agreed and she came over yesterday. her female is beautiful and up to standard and has been bred two times. well, punky tried to tie with her a couple times but it only lasted a minute or so before they would jump away from each other. the breeder told me her girl might be a little nervous because she's only been bred with her other male. but i couldnt tell if it was punky or her female that was jumping away. she's going to bring her back in a couple days. i was wondering if anyone ever had this happen. i'm just worried that punky may not be good at studding. i'd really like this to happen as it would be great experience for me. i plan to breed my two once my female has gone into her second heat. thanks for any info :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
um, i'm not really sure what the eye rolling is about, but yes i am studding before breeding so i can work with an experienced chihuahua breeder first before breeding my own, just to get some hands on(so to speak) experience. anyway it worked out fine when she came backk the second time. i guess they were just a little nervous when they first met.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Sorry Mark but I dont have an answer to your question. I dont know that much about breeding but hopfully someone with the experience can answer your question :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
mark1010 said:
yes i am studding before breeding so i can work with an experienced chihuahua breeder first before breeding my own, just to get some hands on(so to speak) experience. anyway it worked out fine when she came backk the second time. i guess they were just a little nervous when they first met.
sounds like you are taking the right steps.....that way you can decide if its for you and gain knowledge and experience. I know your question has not been addressed hopefully some of the other breeders will have an answer for you :wave:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I dunno, what responsible breeder would run into someone on the street and not know pedigrees and such and want to breed? No testing done hoe do you know her female hasn't been bred with other dogs?I don't think this was thought out really.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Janiebabes, everyone doesn't go into breeding knowing everything. Even if you have done all the research it is still a learning experience. :)

People come here to learn and to get advice. You have the experience that perhaps some people lack. Don't you think it would be helpful to their learning if you tried to help them out rather than critisizing? :wave:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I was trying to help out by asking the questions i did. If the person didnt know then I would have responded to the answers. I am not critisizing just giving my PO

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You might not have purposely criticized but it came across that way. We all know you are very passionate about breeding so maybe if you did away with the rolly eyes it wouldn’t come across like you are being judgmental

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, i just came on and didnt know there were so many responses. sorry for taking so long to respond myself. thanks guys for the help. now, janiebabes, i really dont know where you are coming from with this. i asked a question that may seem a little silly to some but it wasnt to me.
QUOTE:"I dunno, what responsible breeder would run into someone on the street and not know pedigrees and such and want to breed? No testing done hoe do you know her female hasn't been bred with other dogs?I don't think this was thought out really."
This is the part I dont understand. I know a lot about her dogs. I've met with her several times before studding. she has paperwork for her female(OFA, recent health certificate, AKC, generation) She also showed me her picture books of past litters, who they went to, pictures with new family, pictures families have sent of them grown up, etc. I spent a lot of time asking her about her personal breeding habits like how long has she been doing it, how often does she breed her females, how much they weigh, any health problems with any pups in any litters, whether moms were free whelpers, etc. i did not just bump into her and say hey, lets make some babies, and i dont know why you assume i did. i did alot of research and wasnt going to just jump into anything with anyone. i just thought this would give me some very good experience before doing it on my own to help me build up a little confidence and see first hand if it's even something i want to still do. i would never jump into anything with my dogs. i'm sorry if coming out a bit rude, i'm just trying to explain myself. anyways, i hope i didn't ramble on too much. thanks for listening guys and for your help :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
i did not just bump into her and say hey, lets make some babies
LOL sorry but I love how you worded that.

I know how you feel...I have had a couple members jump to conclusions with some of my posts...try to take it with a grain of salt...in the end they are only concerned because they love the breed...it doesnt excuse the behavior but at least you know where it is coming from. It sounds like you have a good idea of where you need to start and who you need to talk to. Again I cannot be any help but I hope you learn lots here and update us on your progress.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hello,
The first time is probably because the female was not ready. It is the female who decides when to tie and how long to hold the tie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts