Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it is way to early to breed Mia but I was trying to get a price of a stud doesn't have to be papered I have a few offers but they all want pick of the litter but when I do breed Mia I want to keep a pup for mia to play with and i don't want them to take the pup i want... does anyone know of what a price would be...? I don't plan on breeding her until she is 2 years old sooo no need to hurry :) just pricing...

·
Registered
400 Posts
It really depends what area you live in.
If you don't want to pay then you really are going to have to give up the pick to the person to get a good stud

Just a note...... most breeders who advertise studs will not breed with you unless the pup is papered and also tested. if you chose to breed with any dog who comes along and is not tested or paperd you may be asking for trouble... although not saying you might not get a good one. Just saying good breeders who stud out will want testing especially. If you were just using a friends dog for a stud the price should be much lower then the going rate

·
Registered
549 Posts
In my area most studs range in price of $100 to pick of the litter. The breeder that I just had my female to charges $450. Which is better than pick of the litter which could be in the range of $450-600. When I was looking for a stud I had a lot of people call that had an unproven male and they wanted pick of the litter...I did not want to pay such a high price for an unproven stud. If you give pick of the litter, that is exactly what the stud dog owner gets is pick of the litter. It may be the same puppy that you want, but by contract, because a reputable breeder will ask for a signed contract(and so should you-before the breeding at any price) you will be required to give pick of the litter. It is a common practice. And the breeder, if you give pick of the litter, has a lot more control over your litter than maybe you want to give-because no puppies can be sold until the breeder makes their choice. Check around before you breed, see what is available. Most people with papered dogs will not even consider your female without papers...but plan ahead and do not wait until the last minute-with the first heat you should be able to figure out the subsequent heat cycle and arrange a breeding. But wait until your puppy is older-younger adult dogs sometimes do not know what to do with a litter of puppies and it can be time consuming and disastrous....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how old do u think she should be I was thinking 2 yrs old... ? maybe i migh thave to get the papers on her she has papers but the owner of her parents kind of made it a choice we can get the papers but it costed more. and more of a headache i wanted mia as a pet and i only want to breed her cuz i want to keep one of the pups i think it would be cute having a mom and baby...that is y i am not giving pick of the litter i perfur to pay...even 400 is about the price i would pay for a pup....thanks u guys for helping me and giving me some stuff to concider....and good ideas

·
Registered
549 Posts
If all you want is another chi, then I would recommend having your chi spayed and then buying another...Simply to breed because you want a pup is not a good idea. You should wait until the female is 2 years before her first litter and remember that she will probably not have just one. Then you have the added costs of making sure that mommy is fed well during pregnancy, that is, if she even takes the first time she is bred. The added time, expense of raising a litter of puppies-chi are one of the least expensive puppies to raise, but they do not leave mommy until 8-12 weeks depending on the puppy. Then there are the vet appointments-hopefully mommy can have the litter without complications, but there is the chance she might need a c-section and then the puppies need to be wormed and have a vet check with first shots before they go to new homes...and don't forget you have to advertise. You may be able to go thru all of this without a worry, but just wanted to let you know that sometimes the expense of the litter is more than just purchasing another pup... :shock: :wave: :D And there are those people that purchase a puppy and find they do not have room or want the puppy-do you give money back, do you take the puppy back-these are just a few of the questions and answers that a reputable breeder faces all the time...just to make you think...please do not read anything more into this than what is intended, but I just brought up the questions...to think about.... :D :D :D I purchased 4 female chis before I decided to breed one of them-the other 3 are spayed, they are pets only. I have had one litter of chis (have had other litters of other breeds)
chis were the smallest pups I have had...I learned a lot, but took lots of time...hope this helps..

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Quickdog, I think you gave really good advice and that's good for us all to read and think about if we ever think about breeding.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks those do give me alot to think about...I will have to see where I am in 2 years to decide for sure what i would like to do for sure but thanks I do hear that alot of chi's do have c-sections cuz there apple puppy heads can be hard to pass...I have had kittens before and i know how hard of work those r but very rewarding... but i kept the contract i got on mia just incase I do want to breed i will copy the same contract...but I don't know if i want to breed her or not yet just trying to get some ideas for now what studs go for and stuff i won't come to a decision until she is 2 years old...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Mia...LOL when my3sons showed me the sight I was like hey Mia is already posting here boy my dog is smart LOL no j/k :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I really don't know how big Blossom will be getting, 'if' she gets big enough to have pups I already have a dog in mind. I know it is early but I wanted to research many dogs and I really liked the dog I picked. He is a blue longhaird chi he weighs 2.5 lbs and is 4 generations small. He is proven and throws small pups. Blossom is 3 generations small so I hope everything would be ok BUT if I have any problems I have interviewed a vet as well lol.(He charges $100 for a c-section) I was told (doesn't mean it is true) by a breeder that she breeds her females young (first heat) because their bones are still tender, didn't really understand but can I get advice here? Oh I also questioned my aunt ALOT about Blossoms grandma and mommy and they have been free whelpers with no problems at all. Her grandma is 3.5 lbs and her mommy is right under 3 lbs. They have had 3 pups in their litters all the time.

Oh does anybody know when (age) a female should be tested to see if she can be bred?
Can anybody give me an estimate as to how much she will grow? She is going to be 5 months on the 20th of this month and weighs 2 lbs even.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I dont think blossom will reach the 4 plus pounds needed to breed as they have usually got most of their growing done by 6 months so i would hazard a guess she might just make it to 3 pounds fully grown and is way too small to be bred - your aunt was lucky her dogs didnt die by breeding them that small and that woman who said about breeding in the first cycle is talking absolute nonsense in my opinion - good luck though and this just means you can get another chi to use to breed :lol:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree, I would be surprised if she reaches the 3lb mark. Most of the small dogs have reached close to their adult size by 5-6 months and then they may fill out for another month or two. The little chi I have right now is my male-he is 8 months old and his weight has not varied for the last 3 months. He now weighes 3lb,13oz.
On the idea of breeding with the first heat..I question that. I have seen people do this before, but in my opinion the chi is still a pup. I know a person that has a puppy right now by her female chi-x. The pup was only 7 months old when she came in heat. Now at 9 months she has one puppy. She seems to be doing ok with the pup, but she is still a pup herself and she runs to greet people and leaves the puppy. Does not want to be with it when she could be playing. In my opinion, if you have to breed early-no before the second heat. Let the chi reach their adult size first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Actually I don't think it is just luck since she has 6 females and none are over 3.5 lbs. She just does her research on the stud before breeding them. If I don't see her getting a good size by the time she is 8 months old I am getting her spayed no matter what. But only time will tell, I might wait for her second heat if I see that her body structure is ok.
[/img]

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Not to be mean but I am sure Blossum is a wonderful pet and from what she weights now it looks like she is gonna be to tiny to be bred so Just love her as your wonderful pet. Never breed a female her frist heat I don't even try to breed my females till they are over a year close to 2 years old.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
your Aunti is defiantely wrong and most breeders will tell you that just ask and they will tell you - please dont breed blossom unless she gets to 4 pounds she is worth more than that surely :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got this from a yorkie chat group I am in. I agree with alot this lady had to say!!!

OK...I know that from previous experiences with this topic that it is a VERY touchy subject! I just wanted to kinda state a few of the obvious facts about dog breeding...

- In boxers it is preffered for a 50 lb female to be bred to a 70 lb male. Most breeds the male is much larger than the females.

- Many animals smaller than 3 lbs give birth in the US on a daily basis...you think yorkies are bad you should see how small chi's are in the show ring...I just saw them this weekend...smaller than show yorkies.

- It is believed that birth weight it dictated by the mother and litter size not by genetics. Genetics play a part in adult size. I have seen a 6 oz puppy at birth grow up to be 4 lbs. and I have seen a 4 oz. puppy grow up to be 6 lbs from the same mother...and believe it or not a smaller stud was used with the 6 oz. puppy.

- I have been known to say if before but...a dog's bone structure, overall quality and health are all more important than size when considering breeding.

- A 3 lb female could have an easier time delivering puppies than a 7 lb female. I have seen 7 lb females struggle to the point of a c-section. Yet heard of the smaller females simply deliver them in no time at all with such ease.

- C-sections have really come a long way. Most vets use very safe medications and perform them rather quickly. They are faster than dentals that is for sure...dentals are one of the longest procedures your pet will ever undergo.

- I have heard the show standard some people like to claim as "above 4 lbs"...well I know my yorkie sizes and at the show today there were plenty of small females, which I bet have never tipped the scale over 3.5 lbs. I am talking about females that have been bred or will be used for breeding.

I will say however that it sounds like this women has a lot to learn about breeding and yorkies in general. But I do think if you are going to breed a smaller female she should not be paired with an even smaller male...this would more than likely (but not neccassarily) produce more small yorkies. I personnally prefer the 5-6 lb range...there is just more there to squeeze...cuddle...and kiss!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts