Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to put this in the breeding section, but I don't seem to have access to it. This is the list of things I will have gathered before Abby goes into labor, am I forgeting anything?

vet's number
nutracal
iodine wipes
scissors
heating pad
thermometer
hemostats (2)
scale
paper and pen
towels
paper towels
tums or ice cream
trash bag
warm place to put pups while mom finishes whelping
hot water bottle
something to munch (for me)
flask of coffee (for me)
book and laptop
phone

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Do you have dental floss, surgical gloves, vaseline, flashlight?
How about sugar, salt water, karo syrup, evaporated milk, syringes, etc. just in case? + emergency vet number

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have dental floss, surgical gloves, vaseline, flashlight?
How about sugar, salt water, karo syrup, evaporated milk, syringes, etc. just in case? + emergency vet number
Yeah. Instead of karo syrup, I will have nutrical and instead of evaporated milk I will have puppy formula. Why salt water? And the vet's number is already in my phone.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Way back (50 yrs ago!) I had a setter who gave birth to 9 puppies. We actually saved one with a spool of thread. She had a retained placenta, and we had to cut the umbilical cord. bled like a sieve. We were 16, but I held the puppy, and my twin brother managed to get the thread around the cord; which was really close to the pup. Worked like a charm!! Pup lived and survived.

I have since read that letting the pups nurse while the dam is still in labor helps the hormone that sustains contractions keep up the contractions. Ask the vet about this? Sue

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Pam for the puppy shower is there anything you need after the puppies are born? I'm in Canada and I'm not sure if it would do any good for me to send something pre-whelping.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Feeding tubes also might be a good idea :) 12 cc syringes, formula, etc. better to be prepared and not need this stuff than have to track it down at the last minute! Revival has great prices on both.
Thanks for the info. I've inserted tons of feeding tubes in people, not sure how to do it in a puppy. In people, it goes down the nose. :) I do have a stethoscope to test for placement. Just feed it down the back of the throat and then insert air slowy and listen for bubbling?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have since read that letting the pups nurse while the dam is still in labor helps the hormone that sustains contractions keep up the contractions. Ask the vet about this? Sue
That's interesting to know

I was going to put this in the breeding section, but I don't seem to have access to it. This is the list of things I will have gathered before Abby goes into labor, am I forgeting anything?
I pretty much think you have everything (and obviously others have mentioned syringes already)
You will do just fine (and the coffee will help too!);)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've inserted tons of feeding tubes in people, not sure how to do it in a puppy. In people, it goes down the nose. :) I do have a stethoscope to test for placement. Just feed it down the back of the throat and then insert air slowy and listen for bubbling?
If you google it on youtube there are some great videos. I have never done it yet myself but feel pretty comfortable with the concept after watching the videos. There are also good videos on removing dewclaws which you probably will want to do on the puppies too.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Some places say to have beer around and give some to the mom if her milk is delayed dropping down. Anyone do this?
Yes, you open a can when she starts to whelp and let it sit and get flat on the counter. A teaspoon or so. Dark beer is preferred to light beer as it is the hops I guess that help bring the milk down? It is nowhere near enough to harm the mum. I have heard some people worried they will get her drunk. They won't lol.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
pam i dont thnk i saw clamps on your list
a sterile hair clip will also do the trick, its just incase
the cord will bleed and you need to clamp it, also be prepared to cut the cord
it happened us with bianca she stood looking at her first pup fo ages, so we had to take over, but she got the hang after. seems so long ago now,
best of luckxxxx

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.