Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that this topic has come up quite a few times in the last few years. After reading through some old threads, I'm still searching for the perfect dog backpack.

I took Odie for a hike today (her first one on a real trail), and we were really motoring along and went quite far. My legs already hurt! She let me know when she was done walking by putting her front paws on my legs like "pick me up!".

I brought our Outward Hound backpack with us, suspecting that she might not make it the whole way. Anyway, it's not very sturdy. She likes being in it at home, but I think it's more because it's like a little nest she can curl up in. It served it's purpose on this hike, but I could tell that she was uneasy in it. The bottom is nice and sturdy, but the design is horrible and it tilts.

So, has anyone out there bought a backpack that they just love, and is comfortable for the human as well? I'd like one that I could actually put on my back.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I use the Outward Hound front back for Finn. I don't like the Outward Hound (not sturdy), but I do like a front pack because it's safer from flying things with talons and big beaks (if flying things are an issue where you live) and it offers more contact than a backpack.

Hershey's Mom had some really nice backpacks they used to transport Hershey and Nilla in the airport.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan, hopefully someone will chime in!

I use the Outward Hound front back for Finn. I don't like the Outward Hound (not sturdy), but I do like a front pack because it's safer from flying things with talons and big beaks (if flying things are an issue where you live) and it offers more contact than a backpack.

Hershey's Mom had some really nice backpacks they used to transport Hershey and Nilla in the airport.
I tried wearing the outward hound pack on my back, and like you said, it's just not sturdy enough. I moved it around to the front, and I think she likes it better that way because she can look up and see me, but it wasn't very comfortable to have something on my chest while hiking. We do have a lot of raptors here, and I never let her outside anywhere alone. I would hope they wouldn't be gutsy enough to go after her while she was in a backpack, but it would be nice to have something with a zippered mesh top. That way I wouldn't mind having her on my back so much. The one I have now does have a clip to attach to her harness, but I still think she'd be more comfortable if she didn't think she could fall out.

make that times 3

I was looking at getting something like this but was not sure if it was good. Depending on what website you look at it has different reviews :confused:

Amazon.com: Pet Gear I-GO2 Traveler Roller Backpack for cats and dogs up to 20-pounds, Ocean Blue: Pet Supplies
That's along the lines of what I'd want. It's just so sketchy buying one without a good recommendation, because who knows how comfortable it is!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Wish I could help, but I actually don't have one and never even tried one.
You know what though? You are making me want one! haha ;)

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Wish I could help, but I actually don't have one and never even tried one.
You know what though? You are making me want one! haha ;)
It is just a large bag that fits everything in and is better for you as it delivers the weight evenly across your shoulders LOL

Did that help you?

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
It is just a large bag that fits everything in and is better for you as it delivers the weight evenly across your shoulders LOL

Did that help you?

Oh thanks a lot Christie, now I know I can always count on you to stop me from buying yet another bag! ;) LOL

Since I last posted I've been looking online...oh brother! :rolleyes:

...self control....must have self control!!!! :lol:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
ROFL, oh my I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts! :lol:

...sounds like a great idea...I'm just missing one tiny thing...MONEY! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.