Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since about 2 months we have a problem with Richie: whenever somebody is coming home he becomes so excited that...well, he pees :lol: It's not much, but still is quite unpleasant for us and our guests. I read in the Internet that this is so-called "submissive wetting", but Richie is in no way submissive- I would say he tries to dominate :lol: What I wanted to ask is: does/did anyone have the same problem? If yes, what did you do? There is some advice in the Internet, such as not bending over, not talking loud and so on, but this is not really helping...

Richie's mom

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I think that can be quite common in chi's, other breeds as well. Fortunately mine have outgrown it. :wink: It can be embarrassing though. If they are excited to see you, then they are excited. I don't know if those suggestions would work or not.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Chiquita is the dominant dog in my house - the Alpha... but she does this... anytime I bend down to put on her leash, she squats and tinkles a little bit. She's always done it and trainers have told me to bend down to her level and try and put it on her, but nothing works... she is just like that. I've learned to quickly scoop her up and hold her before she wets.

·
Registered
570 Posts
my female chi bebe does that too..so nowadays I chose to ignore her and let her settle down first before I let her out of the playpen..which we usually put them in when we go to work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aha, so we are not trhe only ones with a problem :roll: Thanks for sharing your experience! Guess, we can just hope then that he'll grow out of it: Well, it became a bit better after we started to kind of ignore him in the first 5 minutes after we come home- is hard though when he runs to you and you can't pet your baby :cry: But if I just say "Good doggie"- he wets :lol:

Richie's mom

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Lily alos does this and and what i find works is as soon as I walk through the door I run straight outside with them and stand there until they have had a pee and then give them a fuss and she might still do a little dribble but usually not - so by the time she gets back in the house she is less excieted :D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You are not alone as you can see! Poppy did it at first when we first got her and we were told to ignore her when we first get home and only give her attention after the first 5 minutes.It helped and she stopped but I agree, it is SO HARD not to make a fuss of them when you have missed them all day. Good luck! :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
accident

my bf's mother malteser also does this.
when we visit her, snoopy gets so excited she rolls on her back and pees a little bit. i don't think you can do something about it, luckily it's not much..
i always thought it was because she's a little older, but that's not the case i believe now :wave:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[But its so much a pain when the dog runs to a carpet area!!!]

Right, this is where it always happens on our side! :cry:

Thanks for advice for all!

Richie's mom[/quote]

·
Registered
570 Posts
Tinker said:
A lot of puppies outgrow this too so maybe yours will. They can call it submissive wetting if they want to, personally I think it's just over excitement.
totally agree with you..it's the excitement that makes them lose control.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Camilla King said:
You are not alone as you can see! Poppy did it at first when we first got her and we were told to ignore her when we first get home and only give her attention after the first 5 minutes.It helped and she stopped but I agree, it is SO HARD not to make a fuss of them when you have missed them all day. Good luck! :wave: :wave:
:wink: That's GREAT advice, Camilla might be right on the target for your problem.. :wink: GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I first encountered this with my Arctic Timberwolf -- Tanke. Whenever I would praise him for something, he would squat and pee....it's just a sign of respect, lol. Chili only does it when we pick him up from the vet's after his bath, so I love on him while the tech is still holding him so he pees on the tech and then I take him, lol. He has still gotten me a few times, but at least a chi doesn't have as big a bladder as an arctic timberwolf!!
Unfortunately, this is one of the things that is really hard to break them of, since it is a sign of respect. Maybe one of those belly bands? I donno...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This cured itself on its own when Tucker got close to a year old. He still gets just as excited when company comes over, but the peeing has stopped! :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Theer is some improvement, like he does it only 50% of the time :lol: We just try not to touch him and make him excited the first 5 to 10 minutes, basically ignoring him. It works, but he looks so upset that we don't notice him :cry:

Richie's mom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts