Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Lilo was scratching her neck late last night and we noticed her skin was red and irritated... but it's gone so much worse overnight! She even has a bald patch that suddenly appeared in just a matter of hours. :sad: :sad: :sad: Weirdly it's not red anymore this morning though...

I'm taking her to the vet as soon as they open, but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone has had that happen? I'm thinking it's some kind of mange, but it was so sudden.

I wonder if it's related to her rolling in what we thought was fox pee yesterday morning?? It's right there on her neck where she rolled. I did wash it as soon as we came home though. :confused:

This is what it looks like right now :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
That looks like a dark spot; black? I will be interested to know what the vet said. Maybe it is a bite from an insect/spider that was in whatever she rolled in. Usually, when you see a fast developing red spot, if you search you may see a tick/insect attached. That certainly is a 'reaction'. Good luck, and let us know what happened.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks like a dark spot; black? I will be interested to know what the vet said. Maybe it is a bite from an insect/spider that was in whatever she rolled in. Usually, when you see a fast developing red spot, if you search you may see a tick/insect attached. That certainly is a 'reaction'. Good luck, and let us know what happened.
In the end the vet said it looks like eczema, but wasn't sure about what exactly caused it. She said it doesn't look like parasites and didn't mention it being a bite so I'm not sure. I thought it might be a bite too, but they had to shave more of the affected area to clean it all up and I can't seen anything that looks like a bite. It was quite crusty last night though and it looked like there was a bit of a wound... but by this morning she had scratched it all off so who knows! :confused:

She seems ok otherwise, eating and drinking normally, but she's not fully herself. She seems a bit lethargic compared to normal.

Either way, she's on a medicated cream for a week now so we'll see if it clears up. Hope it heals and her hair grows back quickly. :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have never heard of eczema in a dog. Usually (in humans) eczema is due to an irritation to the skin---allergies etc. Hopefully the creme will help to heal up this. Try to keep her from scratching, rolling to the neck area.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never heard of eczema in a dog. Usually (in humans) eczema is due to an irritation to the skin---allergies etc. Hopefully the creme will help to heal up this. Try to keep her from scratching, rolling to the neck area.
Yeah the vet said it can be caused by a lot of things. She's never had issues with allergies before, but maybe there was something dodgy in the grass where she rolled that irritated her. It was in a public park so who knows what was there.

I'm keeping her on or near me so I can stop her from scratching, even at night. I might get her a t-shirt that covers the neck so she can't scratch and also doesn't get a sun burn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That looks like a hot spot, also knows as moist dermatitis. I’ve also heard it called dog eczema.
My male golden retriever gets it if he doesn’t dry fully after a swim and goes to bed damp.
See if your vet offers laser treatment for it. If he does, consider it. I’ve had great results with my dog when he’s had the laser treatment, cuts healing time by half. I now have my dogs undergo laser therapy for wounds and hip or joint stiffness.
Keep your dog from scratching the area, put a baby T-shirt on if you can. It’s hard to see where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That looks like a hot spot, also knows as moist dermatitis. I’ve also heard it called dog eczema.
My male golden retriever gets it if he doesn’t dry fully after a swim and goes to bed damp.
See if your vet offers laser treatment for it. If he does, consider it. I’ve had great results with my dog when he’s had the laser treatment, cuts healing time by half. I now have my dogs undergo laser therapy for wounds and hip or joint stiffness.
Keep your dog from scratching the area, put a baby T-shirt on if you can. It’s hard to see where it is.
Yes that's what the vet said in the end, eczema. Not sure what caused it in her case though! I wish I knew so we could avoid it happening again! Does your golden retriever also get bald spots when this happens? How long does it usually take to heal and for the hair to regrow?

Good to know about the laser treatment, thanks. So far we've been given a medicated cream to put on it for about a week so we'll see how it goes after that. It stopped the itching so far at least!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes that's what the vet said in the end, eczema. Not sure what caused it in her case though! I wish I knew so we could avoid it happening again! Does your golden retriever also get bald spots when this happens? How long does it usually take to heal and for the hair to regrow?

Good to know about the laser treatment, thanks. So far we've been given a medicated cream to put on it for about a week so we'll see how it goes after that. It stopped the itching so far at least!

Without laser, it generally takes him about two weeks to heal. Since we start d doing laser treatment it takes seven to ten days to heal.

Yes, he gets bald spots, which te red, angry, and wet when they start out. As soon as the hair is clipped the air gets to it and healing begin.

The main thing is not to allow scratching as it’s healing. The last one my golden had was almost healed and I took the collar off because I felt sorry for him and he went at it. Back to waiting for the scab to form again.

Is your dog’s scabbing over yet? That’s the other reason I like the laser treatments, the scans are much thinner.

Edit: The hair grows back immediately.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Without laser, it generally takes him about two weeks to heal. Since we start d doing laser treatment it takes seven to ten days to heal.

Yes, he gets bald spots, which te red, angry, and wet when they start out. As soon as the hair is clipped the air gets to it and healing begin.

The main thing is not to allow scratching as it’s healing. The last one my golden had was almost healed and I took the collar off because I felt sorry for him and he went at it. Back to waiting for the scab to form again.

Is your dog’s scabbing over yet? That’s the other reason I like the laser treatments, the scans are much thinner.

Those two pictures are with laser treatment and they’re four days apart. The first is red and angry. The second is dry and the scab starting to flake off.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Lets hope she gets better fast. The creme has a cortisone type medicine and an antibiotic in it. Please use it until all the redness is gone, or the tube is empty. The cortisone in it will help the itchiness.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Edit: The hair grows back immediately.
Oh judging by those pictures it definitely looks like the same thing! There's no scab yet, but the cream has stopped the scratching thankfully so I'm hoping it'll heal fast enough. This is what it looks like right now after 3-4 days:

Good to hear the hair grows back easily. Dr. Google is a scary place sometimes, I had read some horror stories. :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh judging by those pictures it definitely looks like the same thing! There's no scab yet, but the cream has stopped the scratching thankfully so I'm hoping it'll heal fast enough. This is what it looks like right now after 3-4 days:

Good to hear the hair grows back easily. Dr. Google is a scary place sometimes, I had read some horror stories. :lol:

Oh that looks REALLY good. It’s healing very nicely.

The next challenge is to keep him from scratching. You remember when you were little how when your cuts began to heal they would itch? Well add to that the fact that hair is growing and pulling at the edges.

You can’t really use a collar there unless it’s a very soft fabric collar. That’s a rough spot to keep from scratching and damaging.

You might not get a bit scab if you’re using an ointment because an ointment keeps it moist. Different treatments give different results in the healing process. I’ve even heard people using the green bottle of Gold Bond Medicated powder.

What I’ve done is get a refill of the spray my vet prescribed and keep it on hand. First sign of it forming I clip the hair myself and start treating. But that’s because I’ve got a golden who gets them almost every summer if he doesn’t dry off fully after swimming. He’s got a ton of double coat.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh that looks REALLY good. It’s healing very nicely.

The next challenge is to keep him from scratching. You remember when you were little how when your cuts began to heal they would itch? Well add to that the fact that hair is growing and pulling at the edges.

You can’t really use a collar there unless it’s a very soft fabric collar. That’s a rough spot to keep from scratching and damaging.

You might not get a bit scab if you’re using an ointment because an ointment keeps it moist. Different treatments give different results in the healing process. I’ve even heard people using the green bottle of Gold Bond Medicated powder.

What I’ve done is get a refill of the spray my vet prescribed and keep it on hand. First sign of it forming I clip the hair myself and start treating. But that’s because I’ve got a golden who gets them almost every summer if he doesn’t dry off fully after swimming. He’s got a ton of double coat.
Eek yeah I can imagine with the hair growing as well it can get super itchy. lol That's the thing it's a bit of an awkward place so I can't put a collar and no top covers the area either. I could put a hoodie on her, but it's been quite warm here so she'd hate that. lol Thankfully the cream has worked well so far, she hasn't tried to scratch at all today. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. And I use a step in harness that doesn't touch her anywhere near it.

At least I know what it is now so if it happens again I'll know what to do right away! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Eek yeah I can imagine with the hair growing as well it can get super itchy. lol That's the thing it's a bit of an awkward place so I can't put a collar and no top covers the area either. I could put a hoodie on her, but it's been quite warm here so she'd hate that. lol Thankfully the cream has worked well so far, she hasn't tried to scratch at all today. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. And I use a step in harness that doesn't touch her anywhere near it.

At least I know what it is now so if it happens again I'll know what to do right away! :)

See if your vet will allow you to keep a spare tube on hand. After three instances with Max I requested a bottle of Betagen (his prescription) to begin immediate treatment as long as I brought him in right away.

With this condition, hours can matter. It can grow overnight and get HUGE. If hair is clipped early and treatment begins early, it can be contained.

The first time it happened I had no clue what it was and waited until the morning to call for an evening appointment. By the time I got Max in, his neck was covered in a raw, red, angry looking wound. I mean HIS ENTIRE NECK. I’d never heard of it and I’d never seen anything like it before. I felt so guilty.

Hope your baby continues to heal so well. It really looks good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts