Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
See if your vet will allow you to keep a spare tube on hand. After three instances with Max I requested a bottle of Betagen (his prescription) to begin immediate treatment as long as I brought him in right away.

With this condition, hours can matter. It can grow overnight and get HUGE. If hair is clipped early and treatment begins early, it can be contained.

The first time it happened I had no clue what it was and waited until the morning to call for an evening appointment. By the time I got Max in, his neck was covered in a raw, red, angry looking wound. I mean HIS ENTIRE NECK. I’d never heard of it and I’d never seen anything like it before. I felt so guilty.

Hope your baby continues to heal so well. It really looks good.
That's what I realised. I planned to take her to the vet in the morning at the time and really didn't expect to wake up to a big bald spot!!

When did your dog start getting this? Did he always have that issue or did it crop up later on? My girl is 5 years old and never had this before. I was hoping this is just a one off, but who knows. I have a feeling the vet won't let me have extra of this cream, but it's worth asking I suppose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's what I realised. I planned to take her to the vet in the morning at the time and really didn't expect to wake up to a big bald spot!!

When did your dog start getting this? Did he always have that issue or did it crop up later on? My girl is 5 years old and never had this before. I was hoping this is just a one off, but who knows. I have a feeling the vet won't let me have extra of this cream, but it's worth asking I suppose.

He was two when it first happened. It was his first summer in full coat, and he’d gone swimming. It was late in the afternoon and he didn’t have time to dry off before bed. Next day when we got home I put my hand in his neck and he pulled away and I noticed there was a wet spot. I part d the hair and there was a small red area. So I decided to call Monday for a vet visit. By Monday morning the length of his neck was raw and wet and angry. By the time I got him to the vet (I didn’t consider it an emergency) whichbwas mid afternoon they shaved HIS. WHOLE. NECK.

That’s when I decided never again. Vet visit immediately.

He gets one almost every summer. I have to dry him and keep him out of the water (difficult to do with a golden) before late afternoon sets in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I sure would invest in a good clipper! Good for you in taking the necessary steps to prevent this from getting to a huge problem again!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
He was two when it first happened. It was his first summer in full coat, and he’d gone swimming. It was late in the afternoon and he didn’t have time to dry off before bed. Next day when we got home I put my hand in his neck and he pulled away and I noticed there was a wet spot. I part d the hair and there was a small red area. So I decided to call Monday for a vet visit. By Monday morning the length of his neck was raw and wet and angry. By the time I got him to the vet (I didn’t consider it an emergency) whichbwas mid afternoon they shaved HIS. WHOLE. NECK.

That’s when I decided never again. Vet visit immediately.

He gets one almost every summer. I have to dry him and keep him out of the water (difficult to do with a golden) before late afternoon sets in.
Aww poor thing, it must have been awful with it being his whole neck! And yeah I can imagine it's hard to keep a golden retriever out of water! haha My chis only swim occasionally and their fur is so short that it dries easily anyway. In my case Lilo didn't get wet that day so I guess we'll never know what caused it.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I sure would invest in a good clipper! Good for you in taking the necessary steps to prevent this from getting to a huge problem again!
Thankfully I already have one so next time (hopefully there won't be one though lol) I'll know to clean the area and clip the hair right away to let it breathe before we get to the vet.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just an update, in case this happens to anyone else and you're reading this wondering how long it takes to heal.

This is what it looks like today after nearly 10 days. The scab ended up falling naturally after 6-7 days and her hair is already growing back. We stopped the medicated cream after a week (as recommended by the vet) and there hasn't been any itching since stopping it either.

She's a happy girl again. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Gee whiz!! That certainly WAS a FAST growing 'hot spot'!! Such a big spot for just overnight to develop. So glad she is a 'happy girl' again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just an update, in case this happens to anyone else and you're reading this wondering how long it takes to heal.

This is what it looks like today after nearly 10 days. The scab ended up falling naturally after 6-7 days and her hair is already growing back. We stopped the medicated cream after a week (as recommended by the vet) and there hasn't been any itching since stopping it either.

She's a happy girl again. :)

That’s FANTASTIC!!! Much faster than my guys without laser. It used to take them two weeks.

That’s some awesome stuff they gave you!

Congrats on your baby being so well now, and so quickly healed!!!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That’s FANTASTIC!!! Much faster than my guys without laser. It used to take them two weeks.

That’s some awesome stuff they gave you!

Congrats on your baby being so well now, and so quickly healed!!!
Yeah I'm impressed with how fast it healed! So happy! The cream is called Isaderm gel if you're interested. I don't know if you have that over there or something similar. It has fusidic acid and betamethasone in it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah I'm impressed with how fast it healed! So happy! The cream is called Isaderm gel if you're interested. I don't know if you have that over there or something similar. It has fusidic acid and betamethasone in it.

I’ll check with my vet.

The Betagen Max has been prescribed has betamethasone, if I’m not mistaken.

Are you in the UK?

Edit: just checked, Betagen and Genone have Gentamicin Sulfate with Betamethasone Valerate.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’ll check with my vet.

The Betagen Max has been prescribed has betamethasone, if I’m not mistaken.

Are you in the UK?

Edit: just checked, Betagen and Genone have Gentamicin Sulfate with Betamethasone Valerate.
Hey sorry I took a while to reply, yes I'm in the UK. That sounds very much like the same thing as mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From your first picture i would have wondered about mites
Did the vet check a sample with a microscope ?

It’s most often seen in young and old because of weak immune system and it is very obvious in the case the dog peal around the eyes, but if not, lots of vet don’t check :/
So if it ever comes back, please do have the vet scratch and check with a microscope, it can’t be seen without it, and it is really damaging to the skin if it last
Years ago i had a dog go through 3vets before one country vet instantly figured it, but it was 3months after we discovered the symptoms and the dog skin was totally ruined, too many wrong treatment and the parasite damage, 2more month of very strong treatment, and the dog skin stank forever …

So i hope it will not happen again but if it does, please do check !

21 - 34 of 34 Posts