Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Butters has suddenly stopped eating his food....at least the dry kibble (A few months ago we started adding a spoonful of canned Wellness dog food to their dry dogfood).

I'm thinking this is just a case of him becoming a picky eater as he isn't exhibiting any signs of illness. He's his usual self, and he'll eat treats no problem. But when we put his food down, he'll just lick off the wet food and won't touch the dry. I've stopped giving him wet completely and he is not getting any more treats. He's been on Wellness dogfood since he was a puppy. We switch flavors of Wellness whenever we buy a new bag so that we rotate varieties, and I've just switched flavors, could it be he's suddenly decided he doesn't like this flavor or is he just wanting to be fed wet entirely??

Is there anything else I can do to get him to eat? I don't want him to think he can get away this or get special food just because he turns his nose up at what we give him.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I went through that too with mine.
Try rubbing the bowl with cheese or chicken then put in the kibble.
Therese on here suggested that to me and it worked.
I also found that if i got a piece of chicken and squished it into the kibble then took it out it helped.
Like folk said to me here, they try to train you. lol
Sometimes zapping in the microwave for a very short time can bring out the flavour too.
My 2 eat all their Acana no probs, without havin to do that, because their is more variety for them.
But then your food has dif flavours so it cant be that.
They do just get bored at times though, and try to get something we are having.
It's hard not to give in, i know.
I also cut down on the amount of meals a day, and now they are hungry each meal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think chi's are notoriously picky eaters. You have to go through a trial and error period before you find a brand he truly loves. Mine used to pick at her food as well until I switched to Innova. I also used to keep a bowl of kibble out at all times, but I've since learned that my chi will eat everything if I give her 2-3 meals a day. She'll get hungry in between meals and will eat when I put the bowl down.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really want to switch foods as they've been on Wellness since puppies and they do very well on it. I don't know why all of a sudden he's gotten picky like this....he used to literally inhale his food so fast I doubt he even chewed it, to slowly eating one piece at a time to not eating at all. I just don't understand....I guess its possible they are bored of it, but we switch flavors every couple of months purposely to avoid them getting bored of just one flavor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts