Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I did some research about them a few months back after seeing them at a pet expo. I found a number homemade diets as well as the fact that there are good prepared diets that you supplement with a little fresh food. I don't remember the names of the well-liked homemade diets, but they should be easy to find. I just remember there are lots of different opinions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I used to keep them, they are amazing animals.
I fed an entirely fresh diet; fruit, veg, eggs, insects, chicks, pinky mice. They also had nectar made with honey and vitamin supplements. They had bits of cooked meat and yoghurt or cottage cheese as treats

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have 2 females. 12-14 weeks old :) no names yet lol.

I am looking at the Wombaroo High Protein Supplement thoughts on it? I am currently feeding baby organic yogurt, spinach, carrots, cantaloupe, honey dew, organic baby chicken food, egg, and exotic nutrition HPW jar
HPW / Fruit & Veggie - HPW in Jars

Many don't know enough about the jar but don't think it is as good as the Wombaroo.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some research about them a few months back after seeing them at a pet expo. I found a number homemade diets as well as the fact that there are good prepared diets that you supplement with a little fresh food. I don't remember the names of the well-liked homemade diets, but they should be easy to find. I just remember there are lots of different opinions!

Oh and if you do decide to get a pair DO NOT go with Pocket Pets (they hang at expos) they are similar to a puppy mill with horrible info and sick gliders

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a little female named Tootsie. They're omnivores and I found their diet very complex. I occasionally fed her baby food if I was feeling lazy. She had quite the attitude with live pray. She always went for the head first. I can't really remember what I fed her on a daily basis. I know a lot of food was wasted on her because she had a fresh diet. Also make sure you have a sugar glider cage and NOT a bird cage. Someone bought me a beautiful bird cage for her and I learned the hard way. The paint covering on bird cages are toxic to sugar gliders.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have a sugar glider cage made by living world. I also have a critter nation that currently houses my rats. The gliders are babies and way too small for the CN now but eventually they will go there as my rats are more than halfway through their life span unfortunately they only live 2-3 years. The CN is also the double unit so I could easily split it if I need to also.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
We need pics!
Do they have names yet?
I love them, they make fascinating pets, but are definitely not easy regarding diet. The main issue is getting enough variety of insects. When I had Gliders i also had reptiles and other exotics, so had all types of bugs around.
In the wild their protein comes from mostly insects, plus baby birds and eggs, small lizards and mammals

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I think you need to add chicks and pinkies for calcium (can be bought frozen)
I fed around 25% insects, but I reared a lot myself. I fed crickets, locusts, mealworms, (and mealworm beetles) morio worms, waxworms and cockroaches. All insects were gut-loaded and dusted before feeding.
The other half of their proteins being chicks, mice (other pinkies when available) and eggs. The other half of the diet fresh fruit and veg. (So 50% protein sources and 50% fruit/veg roughly)
If you feed cooked meats for protein you will need to supplement calcium. I am not a fan of calcium supplements as the main source of minerals, it is too easy to get wrong, especially with growing animals.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the one I am looking at.

Original High Protein Wombaroo Diet (OHPW)

You will need:

~ 2 cups warm water

~ 1½ cups honey (never feed raw honey)

~ 1 Tablespoon Bee Pollen

~ ¼ cup Wombaroo High Protein Supplement (HPS)

~ 3 eggs - scrambled

To prepare:
1) Cook eggs, set aside.
2) In medium bowl, mix honey into warm water until dissolved. Add Wombaroo HPS and mix well.

3) In blender, mix eggs and bee pollen and ¼ cup of Wombaroo mix(from step 2). Blend for aprox. 2 minutes.

4) Add remaining mixture and blend an additional 3 minutes.

5) Pour into a freezer-safe bowl with an air tight lid and freeze.

Mixture when frozen will be the consistency of ice cream and very easy to serve.

Each glider will be served the following:
~ 1 teaspoon Original High Protein Wombaroo (OHPW) mixture

~ 1 Tablespoon fruits

~ 1 Tablespoon vegetables

The High Protein Wombaroo supplement is one of the best on the markets. It is as natural as possible as is used by most zoos etc. Can you tell I have been researching lol. Have you heard of it? I think it was based out of Australia

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Personally I think a mixed natural diet is better. Feeding this way they get the same protein day in day out.
The ones at work are fed a rubbish diet but they do ok. You know how I feel about commercial pet foods though, I just don't trust them.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Oh and if you do decide to get a pair DO NOT go with Pocket Pets (they hang at expos) they are similar to a puppy mill with horrible info and sick gliders

Yes, that is who was at the expo. Once I started reading their site, though, I realized what they were. I don't trust anyone who says that everyone else is wrong and only they are right. And they lie about USDA registration laws. I read the actual law because I know there are exemptions for those with small numbers of intact animals.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I think a mixed natural diet is better. Feeding this way they get the same protein day in day out.
The ones at work are fed a rubbish diet but they do ok. You know how I feel about commercial pet foods though, I just don't trust them.
Yeah this one isn't commercial you make the nectar using the supplement then rotate the other stuff. I was going to use this as a base then incorporate other items. I am still trying to figure out can they have raw chicken? I am looking into companies for safe bugs but I can't feed a pinky. I just cant do it since I love mice LOL.

Also I am trying to figure out grains like oats granolas etc. What are the ones at work fed?

Also should I use regular honey or raw honey?

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, that is who was at the expo. Once I started reading their site, though, I realized what they were. I don't trust anyone who says that everyone else is wrong and only they are right. And they lie about USDA registration laws. I read the actual law because I know there are exemptions for those with small numbers of intact animals.

The guy set me off when he went on about kibble! I shut him up quickly but also they sell their joeys way too young! I also heard their cages have been toxic in some situations.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Are there any reptile shows near you? Some people may have bugs they have raised, especially roaches and mealworms. You could find out what feed they use or if they mix their own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts