Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sugar is now 15 weeks, still a very good pup but finding it hard to get her walking on the lead, she will go outside without a lead no problem and is not afraid of people or cars, she just doesnt like being on the lead and wont walk on it, any tips?? P.s shes not really food motivated, esp when shes nervous, soI dont think treats will work.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
She's so sweet. I had the same thing happen with Odie. I'm sure it's totally normal for puppies to not "get" walking on a leash. I think the most important thing is to be patient and set your sights on just walking a very short distance. To get Odie to take her first steps, my husband would go in front of us and call her, trying to get her excited so she'd run to him. Eventually she just understood what to do.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's so sweet. I had the same thing happen with Odie. I'm sure it's totally normal for puppies to not "get" walking on a leash. I think the most important thing is to be patient and set your sights on just walking a very short distance. To get Odie to take her first steps, my husband would go in front of us and call her, trying to get her excited so she'd run to him. Eventually she just understood what to do.
Thanks for ur reply :)
I know all puppies are like that but I just cant think of what to do in the situation for the best, its the only time Ive seen her get really stubborn and not want to come to me when Im calling her. When shes off the lead outside and inside she follows me happily, but not when her leads on. I walk her on my own so Ive no one to help me unfortunatly. But yes I think the key is patience so Im gonna make sure I have extra time to walk her next, I was in a bit of a rush today which obviously wouldnt help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sugar is adorable!! Bean is 18 weeks and I had problems with him walking on a lead. He would walk a few steps and then just suddenly stop. Offering a treat wasn't really helping. The other night I tried turning my back to him and ignoring him when he stopped. Once he started walking again I gave him a treat and lots of praise. It has been amazing how much better he has been, I really don't think he likes getting the cold shoulder lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you put her leash on and had her drag it around? Or taken a clothesline type cord or yarn extra long so it doesn't pull and tie it to your belt loop. Walk around the house, to get your paper/mail, out to potty... Shorten the distance of the leash a little at a time. Just thoughts that were given to me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sugar is a lovely name because she is really sweet!
Leash training just takes time and patience, you will get there eventually
My only advice is to hook on her leash and let her just walk around freely around the house with it to get used to it.
And if she isn't food motivated you might have not found the right treats yet, alternatively use her favorite chew/squeaky toy as motivation instead

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I will try putting her lead on in the house, Im guilty of not doing it cos she hates it but you are right, she needs to get used to it. She wears a harness too and doesnt seem to mind it at all, just the lead :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
When you go out, have some cooked chicken cut up in tiny pea sized peices. Throw a bit in front of her, when she walks to pick it up, praise! Keep walking just a little bit, then go home. Do this BEFORE a meal!! Good luck. Sue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts