Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to the forum and would fist like to say what nice people they are on this site. I am so lucky to have found it for Jessie and I!
I would love some advice...
Jessie will be 5 months old on Sunday. She weighs about 4 lbs. She is doing well with her training and socialization, but she will not attempt to jump on the sofa (our sofa is not high at all). She actually tries to crawl up it. I feel that she has the strength. She goes up and down the stairs and leaps over obstacles in the yard with ease. I have tried to coax her with her toys, but whenever I hold up the toy she sits (as she has been trained) and waits for me to play fetch with her.
I believe that it's just a matter of her realizing that she can do it. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
She is still young. I wish my chi didn't jump on and off furniture! It only makes me worry more! They are so small, they can get hurt very easily. So, in some ways, it's good she doesn't jump up there!

But, with mine after just bringing him up on my lap a few times, as he got older, he just decided it was time to get there on his own! So, just give her time, then you will wish she wouldn't jump up on it! lol.

She's cute;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
The experts say they really shouldn't jump up on furniture or beds until a year old. This is for the safety of the knees. They recommend using little doggie steps if you want them to jump up.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Lion wouldn't jump on anything until he was 6 months old. I just put a pillow on the ground to make a little step for him, and one day he decided to jump. Just keep encouraging her, she will learn :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
We built "pillow ramps" to all of the places they were allowed to go. We have moved on to actual steps to our bed, couch and guest bed where they like to hang out becasue it is a sunny, warm room.

I do not like mine jumping off of anything as the others have said. I have one who we call Rocky the Flying Squirrel. She makes me a wreck worrying about injury.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Timmy just learned how to jump up on the couch two months ago, he was two years and two months, a real late starter.

·
Registered
410 Posts
With Bandit it was an accident. I had a pillow down for him, it happened to be next to my craft storage box that is next to my chair. He wanted to get to me, and he figured it out on his own.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Axle is 6 1/2 months old and he only jumped on to he couch for the first time 2 days ago - kind of wish he hadn't worked that one out actually. he won't jump off though. I would go with the ramp or step to be safe for Jessie as her bones are still soft at her age. How about an upholstered footstool she can use? i'm sure you could get a cheao one at Target or somewhere like that.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I think it just depends on the pup. All three of mine will do it but my cousins Seth (Leah's littermate) still will sit at the edge of the couch and beg to be put on the couch.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie didn't jump on the couch at that age either, and our couch is low. I also wish she wouldn't jump on the couches. I don't mind her being on there with me, but a couple of times she's miscalculated the jump and fallen backwards. Not good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your are all so helpful! I will not rush it at all. She has been jumping off the sofa for some time now. I will also try the pillows and maybe a soft foot stool. THANK YOU for your advise and suggestions!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts