Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realised Runy's skin and nose gets a little more red every time we come back from our walk. after taking him to the vet today he told me that i should put him sunscreen cause his skin can get burned too.
He told me about a specific and special sunscreen made for dogs but i can't find any of them in local stores. :( buying and having it shipped is not an option for me, i would have to pay twice or almost three times it's prince.
Is humans sunscreen secure for him? if so, which brand should i use? should i use for kids or can i use adult's sunscreen? thanks :)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Some human sunscreens are poisonous to dogs if ingested. Since dogs like to lick their skin especially if something is on it would be very leery of applying human sunscreen on dogs. I know you said it would be more expensive to buy online but perhaps your vet or local pet shop could order dog sunscreen for you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I agree. Some human sunscreens are filled with junk too that isn't even good for humans to use, nevermind a dog who would be ingesting it.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
i have always used baby sunscreen on my hound Sadie. She will get a sunburn on her belly. I have used over the counter and holistic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We use a children's sunscreen on Mollie but only in places she can't lick, don't quite like the idea of her ingesting it. Just had a look on amazon and they have loads of sunscreens for dogs.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've been having similar thoughts. Basil is white with very pink skin so I am keen to get him some decent protection. Looking though I see a lot of supposedly doggie safe sunscreens have zinc oxide in them which is the very reason human sunscreen isn't recommended for them, so please do read the ingredients. Also most of them seem to top out at SPF 15 and I was certainly looking for something with more protection.

Here are a list of the top ingredients to check that your doggie sunscreen is completely clear of, they are all dangerous to Dogs

Cinnamates......................Cinoxate, ethylhexyl, Octyl & p-methoxycinnamate
PABA esters.....................Padimate-O, Octyl Dimethyl PABA
Salicylates........................Ethylhexyl salicylate, homosalate, octyl salicylate
Propylene Glycol..............As a humectant in sunscreens to extend activity time
Zinc oxide........................Physically blocks UVA and UVB

In the end I found this Dermoscent Sunfree -http://www.dermoscent.com/acheter-Ecran-solaire-hydratant-pour-chien-et-pour-chat_19.htm

I have it on order so can't comment on it just yet but it is zinc oxide free, it's sunblocking agents are titanium dioxide and aluminium (So you'd still want to be warey of excessive licking of it but it's much less harmful). It's also SPF 30 and It's non chemical and made from minerals so all in all it was the best I personally could find.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been using baby sunscreen, just near places he can't lick of course, after all his health is the most important thing. Buying it online is definitely a no go. As much as I love my chi I can't pay three times it's real price so I guess I'm gonna try with the coconut oil or the dermoscent sunscreen. Hopefully it will work :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts