Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a couple of questions about supplements etc.

Down her back, towards her tail, D has a patch of rough fur. The rest of her fur is lovely and soft, but this patch isn't. I only bathed her 2 weeks ago, so can't bath her again, since that's far too often. Is there a reason for her rough fur? Is there something I can give her to get rid of it?

Another thing, i was thinking about giving her cod liver oil to help her joints (I get paranoid about her skinny legs and LP). Can any UK people reccomending a place to get some suitable for her? And anyone else who could reccomending anything else they think I should be giving her?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't live in the UK so don't know what supplements are available to you. If you were here, I'd recommend a good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement such as Nupro, or the Missing Link (I like the prescription formula, which you can buy online). I'd also add in a fish oil at therapeutic doses (100mg per 10 pounds) until you see improvement. Then these supplements could be backed down to just a few times a week as a maintenance dose. I'd also ask what you are feeding and make sure that she is on a good quality grain free food, or raw if you prefer.

Edit: I'd skip the cod liver oil. Too high in vitamin A which can be detrimental. I'd use a human quality fish, krill, or salmon oil instead.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well, I do not know about the rough patch and I am not in U.K. but I can tell you what I give and then perhaps others who can help more than me will see and help!

My girls get Nupro mixed in their evening meal. They also get a pinch of Prozyme with every meal. Really only one of mine needs this but it does not hurt for the others to have it as well so they do!

About every other day they get Iceland Pure Anchovy/Sardine oil. This comes in a pump bottle and they each get just a few drops.

All this is mixed with warm water and their Ziwipeak and their fur is super soft and shiny.

I will attach links to each and perhaps there are great U.K. equivalents if these brands are not available to you.

Here are links to the products I happen to use:
Amazon.com: Nupro Supplement - Small Breed - 1 lb: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Trophy 200-Gram Prozyme Powder: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 8.75oz: Pet Supplies

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was only asking UK people. I was asking for general advice, and for UK people to say if they use products. Sorry!

I don't live in the UK so don't know what supplements are available to you. If you were here, I'd recommend a good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement such as Nupro, or the Missing Link (I like the prescription formula, which you can buy online). I'd also add in a fish oil at therapeutic doses (100mg per 10 pounds) until you see improvement. Then these supplements could be backed down to just a few times a week as a maintenance dose. I'd also ask what you are feeding and make sure that she is on a good quality grain free food, or raw if you prefer.

Edit: I'd skip the cod liver oil. Too high in vitamin A which can be detrimental. I'd use a human quality fish, krill, or salmon oil instead.
She is on the grain free versions of Acana with a small topper of chicken breast in the evenings.

I won't use the cod liver oil then, thanks for that.

I'll have a look at those suggestions though, thanks. Will they help her fur from being rough on her back?

Well, I do not know about the rough patch and I am not in U.K. but I can tell you what I give and then perhaps others who can help more than me will see and help!

My girls get Nupro mixed in their evening meal. They also get a pinch of Prozyme with every meal. Really only one of mine needs this but it does not hurt for the others to have it as well so they do!

About every other day they get Iceland Pure Anchovy/Sardine oil. This comes in a pump bottle and they each get just a few drops.

All this is mixed with warm water and their Ziwipeak and their fur is super soft and shiny.

I will attach links to each and perhaps there are great U.K. equivalents if these brands are not available to you.

Here are links to the products I happen to use:
Amazon.com: Nupro Supplement - Small Breed - 1 lb: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Trophy 200-Gram Prozyme Powder: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine Anchovy Oil For Dogs and Cats.Bottle Size 8.75oz: Pet Supplies
That's great, thanks for all the suggestions Karen. I'll have a look at which of those are available here in the UK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.