Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know from RAW feeders what type of supplements
you use and how often.

I am looking to add Fish Oil into Mimi and Jax's diet and was wondering
what everyone else uses.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I feed prey model raw and use the Plato brand salmon oil 4 times a week and the brand Nupro supplements about 4 times a week. I mainly just use it as a safety net to be sure, plus my dog doesn't always eat as much organs as she should and she gets no raw fish (she won't eat it).

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I use fish oil, krill oil, and coconut oil (the kind for people) and rotate them through the week. Usually with a 200iu vitamin E which is supposed to help absorption. I do Nupro (powder supplement) a couple times a week. Overkill? Probably! ;)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I currently do coconut oil at least once
a week. With the fish/Krill oil is there a certain brand/type that
you guys have found that you like better than others ?

Tracy - I found nupro online for about $10 for the small 1# container.
So I'm going to order some today.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's a good deal on the Nupro. :)

I have also used Missing Link (prescription strength) but I think the ingredients in Nupro are superior.

I just get the people fish oil and krill capsules. Mega Red is one brand for the krill oil, or you can find generics. In the past I have used Grizzly brand salmon oil for dogs. It comes in a pump that you keep in the fridge. I have heard that it oxidizes really fast and it can go rancid quickly, so that's when I went to the people fish oil pills. Better quality control than a dog product since it's for humans and you get a fresh gel cap each time. Cheaper too!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mine do well on the flax oil too ( in addition to what the others have listed). I also rotate in vitamin E oil and the salmon oil ( which I've had no problems with, but am using maybe quicker than others with more mouths to feed :)).

Also to be the over cautious one, I bake egg shells I save ( on baking sheet, 350* , for 5 min) and grind to a powder. It is the best calcium IMO for them. I give a couple times a week ( 1/8t).

I also mix 50/50 alfalfa & kelp powders ( organic from vitacost.com) & give an 1/8t couple times a week---great vitamin/ mineral source. :):):)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mel - What benefits do they receive from Flax oil ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mel - What benefits do they receive from Flax oil ?
Flax oil is a good source of omega's--especially omega 3s. I get the Barleans Flax Oil for animals @ either amazon or vitacost. In fact all my oils usually come from one of these sites as they have the best deals I've found. It is nice as it doesn't have a fishy smell ( I really find fish breath on a dog quite gross--lol)
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts