Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need some advice from the ladies! My wife's birthday is coming up and I decided part of her gift would be another chi! But I am feeling a little guilty and need some advice.

First we have talked forever about getting another pup so Milo would have a friend to play with. She always jokes around asking me to steal other friends chihuahuas and bring them home. Lol. So I know she isn't against the idea. We even brought home a rescue once but the dog didn't like Milo so he went to a friend of ours. I have already put down a deposit with a breeder for an adorable long coat chi. And I'm scheduled to pick him up this weekend (while my wife is at work). I know she'll love him because she loves all dogs. Also I do most of the work in terms of feeding, vet visits, and the expenses etc.

But as the date gets closer I am having a little guilt/remorse about making the decision myself and springing it on her. For some reason I feel like I would need to be involved in picking our new pup if the situations were reversed. I'm also kinda feeling guilty that I was able to choose the dog I found the most adorable.

Question for the ladies here. Would you be secretly upset if your husband/boyfriend just brought home a chihuahua pup and surprised you? Would you immediately resent the fact you had no input into choosing him? All chihuahua pups are irresistible but i'm slightly worried that since it is such a big decision she might have a "fictional" perfect imaginary pup in mind that our new one can't compete with. Part of me thinks she'll instantly fall in love with him but part of me thinks that I might be ambushing her with "my choice" of pup.

Am I overthinking this? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
And I thought women over analized (sp) things!! lol

I think your wife would be over the moon with a surprise puppy I know I would be. And the fact that you went to all the trouble of keeping it a secret while you organised it all, I would be very happy!

Stop beating yourself up and stert being excited about your new addition! xx

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would be over the moon if my O/H bought me a chihuahua pup for my birthday!! i offen joke about things like that!!
I know that going to see the pup and choosing is such a exciting time but , for her to come home and see what u have got for her would be even more exciting!!
Keep your chin up, im sure ur gunna be in her good books for a longggg time :D

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I also go with the others,what a surprise it will be for her on the day.I also got a puppy for my last birthday,ok yes i chose her but if my hubby had come home with a puppy i would have been over the moon,and i think it will make it even more special.Do let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i think she'll be thrilled :)
if you're not sure, why not find some comparison between the new pup and Milo?
some trait that your wife loves about Milo and say that is why you chose it for her.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, I'd be thrilled to, but if on the off chance she's not quite happy you could always tell her she gets to pick the third one ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
You'll now have to have a chat with all of our husbands. That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard! I'm sure she'll be happy, and you know her best so I'm sure the one you picked is great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha - ok thanks all! I think I just had a moment of clarity - I don't think this is about the puppy. I remember the same weird/anxious feeling when planning her big 30th BDay Surprise Party! All the sneaking around, secret planning, late nights on the internet, white lies to keep her off track - haha - isn't it funny that planning an elaborate surprise makes you act the same way as someone who is having an affair? LOL.

Thanks for the reassurance! And good idea - I'll let her pick the third one! (As long as it 's a chi!) :)

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Anticipation is half the fun..... enjoy the moment(s)

your cup will be overflowing with brownie points for quite awhile after getting that puppy
-=^..^=-

:)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I personally would want to be part of the decision, but then again I like/want specific things ;)

So if your wife is one to typically want something very specific, PLEASE make her part of the decision. Of course she will think it's sweet initially...but after the fact, she will really wish she had been part of the decision. That's just my opinion, tho ;)

You could put a picture in an envelope or big box and wrap it up and have her unwrap that you guys are allowed to get a new chi :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw so very sweet of you. I'm sure everyone would love a hubby so thoughtful. :)

My personal feeling on the topic is that I would want to know and have input though. While it's an incredibly sweet and thoughtful gift, I am not a fan of giving pets as "surprise" presents unless the other person has already been specific and pointed out exactly what dog they want. I would want to be part of the decision, it's a big decision, and this chi will be a part of your family for many years, so you want to be sure. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think she'll be thrilled. My shar-pei dog was a present fom my mom and I was thrilled. The important part is tht you know she will want a chi which you do. My mom knew I wanted and was able to care for the dog.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would love the surprise of a chi puppy. My OH would never surprise me with one though he would be afraid of picking one I don't like too lol. Good Luck Can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Aww this is so sweet.

Whether it's a Chi pup or a diamond ring or just a cheap necklace, if my husband would spend that amount of time and thought to arrange this, I would be very happy. I would think you love her very much and hence what you did what you did. You know your wife better than anyone else, I think if you originally thought she would go mad, you wouldn't even go on that route trying to arrange this.

Just rest assure and look forward to her birthday and present her a lovely surprise.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
This is a great question! Here's my story: When my mixed breed dog died many years ago (medium size), I decided I wanted one of the small chi dogs that could be an inside dog. I wanted a White Female! I wasn't looking really hard for one because I think I was still grieving over my other dog. I knew what I wanted!
My birthday rolled around and my dad & brother pulled up in the driveway & asked me to come outside. I had no idea what they wanted & never would have imagined them finding me a chi. I looked inside the truck where my dad was still sitting, & at first didn't see anything, but there was this tiny, bright white little chi with pink ears and nose that blended in with the white bench seat. I melted and fell all to pieces.
They had made a deal with the breeder that if I didn't want her, they could bring her back. I held her and never let go. I never thought that someone would be able to pick a chi out for me, but the men in my life did!
I think your a very considerate, kind-hearted man for doing something like this & I applaud you! I know she'll love your choice!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I personally would want to be part of the decision, but then again I like/want specific things ;)

So if your wife is one to typically want something very specific, PLEASE make her part of the decision. Of course she will think it's sweet initially...but after the fact, she will really wish she had been part of the decision. That's just my opinion, tho ;)

You could put a picture in an envelope or big box and wrap it up and have her unwrap that you guys are allowed to get a new chi :)
Meeee tooo...:) but then hubby says I'm a bit of a control freak( I have to admit, I am very picky)...LOL I would be happy he'd want to add another chihuahua though!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts