Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I'm pretty new here. I posted in the newbie corner, and as I said in my post I am new to the "little dog" scene! We took molly to the vet last week and she commented on how it was cold and she needed a sweater. Now, I know tons of people dress there chihuahuas for fashion reasons, but is there a real NEED for sweaters? I live in the SF bay area, and it doesn't get too cold (low 50's during the day, mid 40's at night) I currently dont have any clothing for her but will certainly go buy some if she really needs them for warmth purposes!
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would think it's a good idea to get your chi a sweater. They are a small dog an need that extra layer for warmth. I figure if I need a light jacket or sweater so will my dog.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Most chis are cold-natured. If you taking them somewhere, it would be a good idea to put a little sweater on them. When I let my chi out to do her business, I don't put a sweater on her & I don't make her wear one around the house. Just if we go over my brothers or somewhere.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have been using cotton thermal and fleece baby blankets since mine flops around like a flounder out of water when I put any clothing on her. I keep trying hoping that she will get accustomed as people have suggested.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It's about the same here during cold season.

Four Your Paws Only: Soft Cotton Hoodies

I got these for our pups for our longer walks but for just quick outside trips I don't much bother.

Certainly if you keep it cold cold in your house, i'd say anything colder than say 72 and mine start to shiver.

Also leave blankets for them to burrow in if you have the capability.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My girls wear them in the winter to stay warm. We love going to the park a lot and we can stay there for hours and they need to stay nice and warm.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jesica, you're a neighbor! :) It's definitely cold here, especially with the crazy weather that we've been having recently. I put a sweater on mine if we go somewhere or to go outside when it's cold. If it's snowing or snow on the ground, the sweaters don't help much, since the can get wet, but that's where the waterproof jackets/coats really help. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I live in tx and its hot almost all year but my little Audrey still has to wear clothes because she gets cold. I figure well hot air rises and shes on the ground. Its cold down there especially on the tile or wood floors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts