Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My José was neutered today and I've never had a dog go through it so maybe I am just paranoid, but, I am noticing tonight that his scrotal sack is swollen and there appears to be fresh bruising appearing. There is no active bleeding, but it is tender to the touch to him so I am concerned. I have given him a baby aspirin for pain/inflammation control but I will be calling the vet in the morning to check on it. Anyone noticed this before after a neuter?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it is morning and he doesn't look a whole lot better. Thanks Nate for replying, I was hoping you would... I am a human medical person.... so I am familiar with hematomas and he definitely has one... I can feel free fluid in the scrotal sack... so something is bleeding into it. Yesterday I watched the neutering and saw that his little sac was empty and loose and now it looks like he wasn't even neutered, the reason for my concern. It is tender to my touch and I can palpate some fluid inside of it... until he yelps and doesn't want me to touch it anymore. Phoned the vet this morning and spoke with the vet tech, she told me some swelling is common, but I explained I don't think a hematoma like this is common after a neuter so she said I could come back in and get some pain medication, but I have a feeling there will be more involved in that... My poor baby... a simple neuter and he looks just pitiful. I will let you guys know how it goes after I take him back in this morning.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, thanks for your reply Nate. You're a great source of advice. I just returned home from the vet. He took a quick look at him and said that it just looks edematous and it usually only happens to large breed dogs and its not common on little dogs. He gave me Clavamox 62.5mg to give q12 hours to prevent an infection and Rimadyl 25mg to give q12 hours for the pain. I asked him if it needed to be drained and he said no that it would only fill back up and that the pressure inside the scrotum will prevent any further bleeding and it will resolve on its own within 1-2 weeks. I watched the entire procedure being done yesterday, they weren't extremely rough with the clippers, just did a quick shave, and it looked to me like he made a single ligature around the cords and then cut off the testicles. José is ok otherwise, he is just REALLY sore... I would be too if I had a huge hematoma hanging between my legs!! I just gave him the Rimadyl and Clavamox... I hope it helps with his pain, I know he is hurting. Do you think what the vet said is proper or should I consider taking him to another vet for a 2nd opinion??

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks again Nate. He is acting fine other than his scrotum being sore... He kinda waddles a little bit... otherwise he is acting ok... he's eating and drinking, peeing and pooping just fine... no vomiting or diarrhea or blood in his urine. Hopefully he will be better.... and it was a low cost neuter clinic :oops: I don't think I will do that again. Although my sister's dog was neutered by the same vet, and didn't have this problem. I'll post an update soon and let you guys know how he's doing. Thanks for all the well wishes. :wave:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
José is doing much better today. The swelling is starting to come down a bit and he was actually in the mood to play wrestle with Chiquita so he is going to be ok I think :) Thanks again for all the well wishes... José soaks up the attention like a little sponge!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
He is doing MUCH better now... the swelling is almost gone in his scrotum and the bruising is starting to fade. The vet really isn't a bad guy... I've known lots of people to use their clinic.... and they do care about the animals and making sure they are taken care of... They offer low cost shot clinics every other Saturday to make sure everyone is able to have their pets vaccinated, even if money is a concern, and they participate in a low cost spay/neuter program to help control unwanted pups that end up in shelters. So I believe that they are good people. They didn't send me home with any pain medication because he received a shot of pain meds before we left. They didn't charge me for having to take him back, or for the 2 prescriptions I was given for the antibiotics and the pain pills. I trust the vet did the right thing now that I see José getting better and he is actually starting to be a much sweeter dog already!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.