Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks again Nate. He is acting fine other than his scrotum being sore... He kinda waddles a little bit... otherwise he is acting ok... he's eating and drinking, peeing and pooping just fine... no vomiting or diarrhea or blood in his urine. Hopefully he will be better.... and it was a low cost neuter clinic :oops: I don't think I will do that again. Although my sister's dog was neutered by the same vet, and didn't have this problem. I'll post an update soon and let you guys know how he's doing. Thanks for all the well wishes. :wave:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
ilovesadie said:
SunnyFLMum said:
I actually have a question....??

When my toy poodle got neutered 10 years ago, he was castrated, so he has no sack or anything left. But now I see dogs with their little sack still there? Is this how they do it now? Becuase if so is ot something that needs to be requested, I would like Gizmo to keep some of his little manhood ya know?! :lol:
When a young dog is first neutered, the skin from the scrotum is loose, and just looks like an extra flap of skin. The skin loses its elasticity over time and the area becomes flat. Older dogs that are neutered often retain this extra flap of skin. Any dog that has visible "full" scrotum either is not neutered, or paid extra for neuticlel implants.

SunnyFLMum, very very few vets implant "neuticles" after the neuter to simulate testicles. It's a cosmetic insert, and that is allt. Forgive me for saying this, but having neuticals is not going to give Gizmo any part of his manhood back =( In fact, there are very few vets that use neuticles because there have recently been reports of allergic reaction to the synthetic material causing dogs to chew them off themselves (how's that for manhood?), and cancerous masses that have grown adjacent to the neuticles. My opinion is that neuticals are unecessary, and there is no medical reason to insert them, and there is medical reason not to.

Just my 2 cents! =) Hope it helps your decision.
-Nate
Ok that is gross, why on earth would someone stick an implant in there?? No Gizmo is definately getting neutered, I just wondered if there was a new procedure going around that I didn't know about since I see so many doggies who are neutered with little sacks...not full testicles, but just the little sack. My little poodle got neutered at 8 months and he has nothing in that area now...but thanks for letting me know what that is, I had no idea people went to such extreme measures to create a "testicle" look...totally bizarre..

Thanks alot for that info, your awesome!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
José is doing much better today. The swelling is starting to come down a bit and he was actually in the mood to play wrestle with Chiquita so he is going to be ok I think :) Thanks again for all the well wishes... José soaks up the attention like a little sponge!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Glad to hear he's doing better. I almost lost Zeus due to a botch neuter job. I made a bad decision to take him to the vet who had been seeing him since his birth rather then my vet that I've used for years. After Zeus' neuter job, the following day I had to take Zeus back to the vet because Zeus couldn't urinate on his own and the vet had to resedate Zeus to correct the problem. He claimed the sutures were too tight, causing massive swelling and not allowing him to urinate. Zeus had a 1 inch incision that couldn't be closed up to allow draining. It was awful. Twice a day, I had to put antibiotic ointment in the hole. I had taken Zeus for a follow up to my vet as I told the other vet he won't be seeing my dog again. Zeus was still not urinating correctly. I took him to my vet and he had drained about 50cc of urine from Zeus. He said 1 of 2 things had happened. The other vet either pierced his urethra and sutured the urethra or completely went around the urethra and clamped the urethra shut with the suture. I had to re-pottytrain Zeus all over again and it took a good 2 weeks for him to completly recover. I remember sleeping next to Zeus on his bed on the floor during the night just to comfort and watch over him. I couldn't keep him in my bed while he was still leaking.

I thank God that I took Zeus back to the vet when I did. The vet said had I not brought him in when I did (even though they still wanted me to wait alittle while longer to see if he'd urinate on his own), his bladder would have ruptured and I could have lost Zeus.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
NoahFL said:
Glad to hear he's doing better. I almost lost Zeus due to a botch neuter job. I made a bad decision to take him to the vet who had been seeing him since his birth rather then my vet that I've used for years. After Zeus' neuter job, the following day I had to take Zeus back to the vet because Zeus couldn't urinate on his own and the vet had to resedate Zeus to correct the problem. He claimed the sutures were too tight, causing massive swelling and not allowing him to urinate. Zeus had a 1 inch incision that couldn't be closed up to allow draining. It was awful. Twice a day, I had to put antibiotic ointment in the hole. I had taken Zeus for a follow up to my vet as I told the other vet he won't be seeing my dog again. Zeus was still not urinating correctly. I took him to my vet and he had drained about 50cc of urine from Zeus. He said 1 of 2 things had happened. The other vet either pierced his urethra and sutured the urethra or completely went around the urethra and clamped the urethra shut with the suture. I had to re-pottytrain Zeus all over again and it took a good 2 weeks for him to completly recover. I remember sleeping next to Zeus on his bed on the floor during the night just to comfort and watch over him. I couldn't keep him in my bed while he was still leaking.

I thank God that I took Zeus back to the vet when I did. The vet said had I not brought him in when I did (even though they still wanted me to wait alittle while longer to see if he'd urinate on his own), his bladder would have ruptured and I could have lost Zeus.
oh gosh! poor baby!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
NoahFL said:

My God, what a horrible situation! Thank goodness your other vet was able to turn things around. I understand that mistakes happen but apparently that first guy either wouldn't admit his error or he failed to recognize it. Either way, bad vet. :evil:

·
Registered
336 Posts
omgosh I looked at one of the pics. Poor baby. Besides pain, he must have been feeling scared and confused. I'm glad he's feeling better now.

I'm moving to your town and I'd be very interested who the vet was. Was it your regular doctor or the low cost clinic that actually did it?

If you're comfortable telling me, then please PM the info. I promise to be discreet with it.

The thing that bugs me, even if the job was done okay is that he didn't send you home with pain meds.

And by the way.. what a super pup to let you take those pics!! I could never get Frasier to be that cooperative. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
He is doing MUCH better now... the swelling is almost gone in his scrotum and the bruising is starting to fade. The vet really isn't a bad guy... I've known lots of people to use their clinic.... and they do care about the animals and making sure they are taken care of... They offer low cost shot clinics every other Saturday to make sure everyone is able to have their pets vaccinated, even if money is a concern, and they participate in a low cost spay/neuter program to help control unwanted pups that end up in shelters. So I believe that they are good people. They didn't send me home with any pain medication because he received a shot of pain meds before we left. They didn't charge me for having to take him back, or for the 2 prescriptions I was given for the antibiotics and the pain pills. I trust the vet did the right thing now that I see José getting better and he is actually starting to be a much sweeter dog already!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am soooo glad José is getting better! He must have been in a lot of pain going by the pics and what youve said. I dont blame you going to that vets as you sister had taken her dog there with no problem. And now hopefully José is over the worst.
When i get my little one neutered im going to take her to the same vet that the breeder uses, as there experienced with Chi`s. :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.