Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise if their chi likes swimming and if it is ok for them to do so? Sophie keeps running for the sea when I take her to the beach but I have read somewhere that it is dangerous to get their ears wet and have kept her away until I find out more.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Sure it's ok if they like it.
They shake their heads to get the water out of their ears just like other dogs.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My girl loves the water and she won't hesitate to jump in it or swim in her water bowl. :lol: She even tries to jump in the tub to get her water fix. :roll:

Leslie

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Swimming is great for chihuahuas if they like it. Its a great exercise! Dont get too worried about the ears, they can get them wet...you can dry them a little after they get out of the water. My one chi actually will dive under water...I dont know why but she loves to have her head under water and she hasnt had an ear problem yet.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
chi's are natural swimmers!! mine like to swim ( i wouldn't say love :D )

i just took them in the water and released them ,they could swim automatically ......

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper LOVES to swim. He's got his own swimming pool in the back yard (plastic) and any time there's water in it, he jumps right in and starts paddling around, even though his feet touch bottom.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was always wondering if swimming was ok for them to do. But does anyone know if its ok for them to go in the pool, one that has chlorine in it? My finace lets his labs swim in the pool and I have been wanting to let Peanut do it but im not sure if I should.

Yael

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i was wondering if its ok for chi's to swim too. thx for asking this cause now i know they can. well, we'll see how chico likes the pool tomorrow when i take him to his grandma's :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lucy likes to swim...atleast sometimes she does! She'll go swimming w/me in our pool sometimes and we take her and our maltese to the lake every weekend and they love it!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I wish Seiah liked water, I struggle enough to get him bathed. That would have been nice being that everybody in the family loves swimming.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
There isnt enough clorine in the pool to do any harm to them...just be sure they arent drinking a lot of the water :wink:

Keep an eye on your chi if they are in a swimming pool...maybe only let them swim for a couple minutes and take them out. Check their eyes and skin...see if they are turning red. If their skin and eyes are irritated then I would say dont let them swim in the pool.

This is what I did...i went and bought a plastic pool from Toys R Us...that way I can just fill it with regular water and the dogs have their own pool! They love it! Its not deep enough for them to swim in but I did that purposly...you can certanly buy one deep enough for them to swim in if you wanted just as long as you kept an eye on them :wink:

·
Registered
275 Posts
thats so funny! our chi's hated swimming-i always used to put them in our swimming pool when i was young and they hated it!!! you must be careful that they can get out or stop when theyre tired. i know in our pool they couldnt get out as the wall was higher than the water level-it can be very dangerous and they must be supervised always near water as they can go under very easily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts