Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sort of 'inherited" a senior chihuahua, Sam, who was having a terrible time with his back legs, both of which have LP to different degrees, the left worse than the right. He also has arthritis. Anti-inflammation prescription daily has improved his movement HUGELY and he has quite holding his left hind leg off the ground. I massage him a little, as well. I was wondering about getting him swimming? He does swim, but does it to get the heck OUT of the pool! Still, I was thinking that, if I could get him to swim a bit in a bathtub full of warm water, it would go even farther in strengthening those muscles.
He's kind of a long story, but I rescued him from the family he'd been dumped on by a crazy MIL and was being terrorized by a larger-than-him puppy. He also got yelled at a lot. He is a sweet, sweet little guy and had been a delightful addition to my little pack, so I just wish I had gotten him out of there sooner.
Nancy C, with Cedric, the Pap-mix, Daisy the Terrier-mix, Sam the Chi and the Katzes in Alabama

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome to chi ppl
How old is he? You said senior but I couldn't find an age

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is either 11 or 14 yrs. My vet falls somewhere in-between. (-; He's such a cuddle-bug. This is a HUGE change. When the rhymes-with-witch had him, he looked like a basketball with four legs (she fed him entirely on scraps and he lived in her bedroom 24/7 with very, very few trips outdoors!!!!!! He had a vicious temper. The family was yelling at him so much (not that they meant to, or are mean to animals, but he seems to have been getting in the way all the time, and it's a "yelling" family..as I said, not meaning anybody ill, they just yell a lot (-;) and the huge puppy so aggressive, he was walking around looking "cowed" all the time. It's a credit that they didn't follow this creepy grandmother's instructions to take the dog she had raised from a puppy "to the pound." I was "sitting" both dogs a couple of Thanksgivings ago and saw what was going on and asked if I could keep Sam. I am so happy to report what love, attention, playmates his own size, decent food, exercise and proper meds have done for this little guy! He is happy, frisky, friendly and cuddly now. Does my heart HUGE good! It's nice that my teenage protegée (mentée?) is one of his first family and gives Sam a "lot of sugar" when she visits here, so he gets hugs from his first family, still.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do, and the kids are often in there and have taken him in with them, but he still panics. Maybe it's just persisting?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think a bathtub with warm water would be great therapy...even just walking in it if he would do that is good. We have clinics here in Colorado that offer hydrotherapy for dogs that have had LP surgery. He might protest at first, but the warm water would probably feel good after a bit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think a bathtub with warm water would be great therapy...even just walking in it if he would do that is good. We have clinics here in Colorado that offer hydrotherapy for dogs that have had LP surgery. He might protest at first, but the warm water would probably feel good after a bit.

I was going to suggest that. We have a Pom Pom who has a hip / back leg problems. Have an operation and we run a warm bath for him to move around twice a day. Miracle, even the vet was surprised he recovered and be able to use his legs within a month after the operation. (It usually takes 3 - 6 months for most patients to walk about)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts