Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it wrong/not okay to switch foods on your puppy?
bobo's breeder told me to keep him on iams puppy
because thats what he was on. i never knew this
til that day i picked bobo up. i just thought food was food.

whats the story?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
you can but do it slowly. Add new food to the old, increasing the new and adding less of the old in increments over a week or so.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The reason the breeder told you not to switch? Probably because that was his/her preference and they've had good results with that brand. The breeder I got Cooper from did the same thing but with regular Purina Dog Chow.
He did give me a puppy starter kit with a lot of Purina products in there so I wondered if he got a kickback from Purina in some form or another. One of the breeder folks on here might be able to answer that though.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Different brands contain different ingredients so if you switch out of the blue, it can really upset puppy's tummy. Best to switch slowly over a week's time as previously mentioned. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
food is not just food lol when you are looking at a dog food you want to see meat or meat meal and better yet both of these as the first 2 items listed. You don't want corn, wheat or soy or animal digest in any food you feed. The first three are known allergins to dogs and the animal digest is just nasty..( google it). You don't want a grain heavy food and you want a single protein.

There are several food I wont feed because they are low quality kibble..Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Hills, Anything Purina, anything bought in the grocery store or discount store iE: Kibbles and Bits, Beneful, Dog Chow, gravy train, Alpo..and the store brands. Read the back of the bags and you will soon realize what low quality food is being offered for your dogs..watch your treats as well..most of the treats are full of crap as well. Feed carrots as a treat..or frozen melon balls and give raw chicken wings or ox tails or marrow bones as a snack.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cooper said:
The reason the breeder told you not to switch? Probably because that was his/her preference and they've had good results with that brand. The breeder I got Cooper from did the same thing but with regular Purina Dog Chow.
He did give me a puppy starter kit with a lot of Purina products in there so I wondered if he got a kickback from Purina in some form or another. One of the breeder folks on here might be able to answer that though.
if your breeder or vet is pushing a food that they sell then yes they are getting kick back. Just about every food company out there has a breeders programs..they get free puppy packs and free food.

Dog chow is one of the worst foods on the market..followed by Ole Roy..how can ppl feed their dogs this stuff??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts