Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH NO!! Now i'm finding all these posts on here about evo giving their dogs diarrhea. The whole reason i'm switching from raw is because Pepper has been haaving horrible diarrhea and i'm tired of having to wash her butt every time she poops, which is 10 times a day because of the diarrhea, it's hard to do because of all the fur the runny stuff gets stuck in it and i've even trimmed the hair around her anus. Help *cry*.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Diarrhea is a normal detox from kibble to raw for many dogs. Was she getting bone yet because I remember in the beginning she wasn't. Or did you go the premade route?

But if you aren't comfortable with raw the just go for whatever high quality kibble you like. You wont know how it works for her unless you try. My guys did ok on Evo a while back but their poo STANK. I love raw poops muuuch better.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
My pups have been eating EVO for about a year & have done great on it. Saying that, we're switching to raw this week. One of my pups had soft poo (not diarrhea) in the beginning when starting EVO but after a few weeks normalized & haven't had an issue since. If you switch slowly you souldn't have a problem. But if she's already having diarrhea I don't see why not make the switch immediately & maybe add a bit of pumpkin to her food? Usually if you switch abruptly the "upset" only lasts a few days. Hopefully you don't have any trouble with it but yes, I have read it is sometimes too "rich" for certain pups...but for us it's been great. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
OH NO!! Now i'm finding all these posts on here about evo giving their dogs diarrhea. The whole reason i'm switching from raw is because Pepper has been haaving horrible diarrhea and i'm tired of having to wash her butt every time she poops, which is 10 times a day because of the diarrhea, it's hard to do because of all the fur the runny stuff gets stuck in it and i've even trimmed the hair around her anus. Help *cry*.
If I recollect, you haven't had pepper for that long yet, 2ish weeks max, correct? How many different foods have you given her or tried out with her?

Dogs need consistency in their diet to be consistent in having solid poopies. You really should stop fooling around with what you are feeding her for the first few months you have her and just feed solid, high quality kibble (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com, 5 stars tend to be the best for chihuahua's...EVO is a 6 star, and I personally think it is just TOO MUCH protein for a dog that is relatively inactive. Only working dogs need that much protein.)

I use Innova. I have never had any problems, but I switched her to the food properly. I left her on the breeder's food for the first day or two then over 10 days transitioned her to her new food.

Keep in mind that a dog isn't like a human. A brilliant change in diet isn't going to be reflected immediately. It can take weeks or months. Be patient =)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Zoey just started EVO small bites with a very gradual switch and no diarrhea.
I'm hearing so much about EVO. I'm getting ready to order more Innova but holding off because something keeps telling me that I should switch to EVO...likes it's the best now. Mine don't like the red meat one but did seem to like the turkey and chicken formula and the salmon one.

As another member stated, it can be high in protein which might be too much for Chi dogs? Any more comments on that?

I'm not sure what to do. The Innova has been great so far so I don't know if switching is necessary. Am I trying to keep up with the Jones'? (lol)

BTW, this is a stupid question but what do you mean by the term *raw*?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
raw is just that, raw uncooked meat with bones and some organ :)

I think if the Innova is working great for you you should just stick with it.

Can anyone explain the pumpkin for loose stools to me? I might have to try it, how much and how often and do I mix with her food or what?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
raw is just that, raw uncooked meat with bones and some organ :)

I think if the Innova is working great for you you should just stick with it.

Can anyone explain the pumpkin for loose stools to me? I might have to try it, how much and how often and do I mix with her food or what?
1-2 teaspoons of 100% canned pureed pumpkin (NOT PIE FILLING!), either mixed with her food or just let her lap it up if she will. Do this 2-3 times a day and her poo should harden up ASAP =) Then slowly wean her off of it.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
In addition to what Kristi has already advised, pumpkin basically helps regulate the digestive system. Not only does it help clear up diarrhea but it also can be used to help with constipation. ;)

As for Evo, my mother in law feeds Evo red meat to her 3 adult chihuahuas and all three do wonderful on it and love it.

I feed Evo to my husky and he does amazing on it. I have also fed Evo Red meat to my chihuahua in the past and she also did well on it and loved it too.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Both mine are on Evo Innova Red Meat Small Bites....wow, what a mouthful lol! Their stool is consistently very small and firm, and there is hardly ANY odor, which are all the other reasons I have them on Evo, the primary reason being that it's a superior food.

When I first rescued Tango and wanted to switch him to a better food, I'd already done my homework and wanted to put him on Evo, but I wasn't sure which of the two flavors to choose, the Red Meat or the Chicken/Poultry or whatever that other flavor is. I got little sample bags for each, then at his next feeding time, I put 6 kibble of each flavor on a plate and offered them to him. They're slightly different colors so I could tell which was which. He nosed through the kibble, and then unerringly picked out the 6 Red Meat ones, and looked at me expectantly. So I put some more of each down, and again, he chose the Red Meat. Then I took all that kibble away, and gave him a new sampling, but this time it was all the Poultry kind, figuring I might trick him into eating it. He nosed through it, didn't eat any, then looked at me as if to say "Do you think I'm THAT stupid?" :D

When I rescued Jazz I had her on Merrick for a bit, then I started introducing the Evo, mixing it with the Merrick kibble. As soon as she realized there was a mix, she started pawing and nosing through the kibble, choosing and eating ONLY the Evo bits and leaving the rest.

As you can see, it's been a huge success with my dogs. They were both rescues and both very sick when they came to me. Along with some excellent Vet care, the Evo has returned them to excellent, robust health.

If you want to compare dog foods, go to dogfoodanalysis.com. It's an excellent resource.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts