Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay last night I noticed the left side of Bentlys butt was kind of red. Well all of a sudden its like a huge knot thats really red. Ive read stuff about the anal glands needing to be emptied out and that kind of stuff but its difficult cause its Christmas. Is there anything I can do for him until we can get him in on Tuesday. It doesnt seem to be bothering at all unless you touch it and even then hes fine (just growls) Im just sure its very uncomfortable for him. Anything that could help?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh boy, things always happen at the worst possible time, don't they! I hope you have a nearby emergency vet. I wish Bently a speedy recovery from whatever it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So we talked to the vet and they told us to just keep a warm wash cloth on it and it should come to a head and drain itself in the next few days. She seemed like it was no big deal and said if they do anything about it, it will just be cutting it to drain it which is the same thing but much more painful for him. So were just going to watch it these next couple days and hope that ot works. I hate this :( Hes such a sweet little boy. Hes being very good about it... I didnt even notice anything was wrong until a little bit ago cause hes acting like his normal happy self. So I just hope that it drains soon and the swelling goes down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The warm cloth helped and it did just what she said. It "emptied" this morning and its already going back to normal. Im soo happy it went so fast because I was getting worried. But it doesnt smell or anything like she said it would but Im just happy hes all better.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Glad its now emptied but you need to keep bathing it with salt boiled water as warm /hot as you can bare and quite often during the day, as its now an open wound and needs to heal up,the salt helps heal it pretty quick.Fynn has had this three times so far!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
How can you keep it from happening? So far, so good with Dolly and her anal glands, but I've read enough posts to be sort of worried about "taking care" of them. We have had her for a year and had nothing going on "back there". Is it just that it happens to some dogs and not to others, or should I be prepared for it to happen at some point?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Some dogs just have a propensity to it, especially the smaller breeds...but that being said, it's really an individual thing. So if Dolly has been fine thus far, then you might be one of the lucky ones who will never have to worry about it...but there are no guarantees and it can crop up unexpectedly if you aren't paying attention, so just watch for the usual signs: scooting, gas, licking, sniffing, etc. Basically any unusual or excessive attention back there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the anal glands can be aggravated by allergies, so if your dog has (or develops) allergies and then starts having problems with the anal glands, there is probably a link between the two, and addressing the allergies should hopefully resolve both problems.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Every three or four months, Buford will do a couple scoots on the carpet and then quit. Any idea what goes on there? I do keep an eye on him as he is one to have allergies. I've never seen any swelling or anything.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I dont know why one chi will get it and others not, Fynn is the only one out of my chis to get it, past and present.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
chis rule said:
Every three or four months, Buford will do a couple scoots on the carpet and then quit. Any idea what goes on there? I do keep an eye on him as he is one to have allergies. I've never seen any swelling or anything.
It may be that he needs his anal glands expressed, but ends up doing it the nexit time you take him out to potty. If he only scoots a couple of times, then stops, I wouldn't really worry about it. I wish Sammie would give me some kind of warning like that! She has a tendency just to do in the house somewhere! Yuck!!! Or maybe Bu just has an itch on his bottom! :D

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
rachel said:
Or maybe Bu just has an itch on his bottom! :D
Well that's what I was wondering, if it could just be an itch. I mean does every single time a dog scoots mean their glands need expressed, or are there other reasons for scooting? Know what I mean?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts