Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering how most Chi's felt about wearing shirts/sweaters in cooler months...this is my 1st fall/winter with my gang and even though we are in Florida I know the temperature change is shocking (I live in Ugg boots for 3 months--LOL). My guy's go to work with me and the floors are COLD starting November and it radiates up through rugs,beds etc... I am making a platform to put their bed on that should help, but I am thinking they will need clothing.

Do they mind:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It varies by dog. I have 2 that like sweaters/shirts and one that does not. The one that does not is convinced that no one should wear sweaters so she works to get theirs off of them.
They all do like fleecy blankets in which to burrow.

·
Registered
204 Posts
All 4 girls (sig only show 3) wear clothes even in the Summer and they don't mind at all. I started them very young, almost the first day they arrived to my home. The girls enjoy it and they think it's modelling time too (2 girls are doing some modelling / photo shot for shops etc).
My boy hates any clothes on him but he would put up with a winter coat in the cold winter outside.
I think it's all depending on individual dog feel.
May be you can try to get some cheaper tee on them and see if they like it first before invest for something expensive and might ended up just sitting in the wardrobe if they don't like it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tito LOVES to wear clothes.. I think that the would prefer to wear them alll the time but he usually only does when we go out..

·
Registered
376 Posts
My first chi, Coco, HATED any clothes. It didn't matter if it was 20 degrees in the house. She'd rather freeze. Any time I put clothes on her she would pout until I took them off. This could go on for days! So far, my new fellow doesn't seem to mind at all.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
3 of mine love wearing sweaters it's so cold in Canada my guys freeze but ninja despite being half bald from alopecia will not wear clothes he just spins in circles and rolls around trying to get it off lol

This is beaus first winter and we can't find anything to fit his tiny body he is freezing outside and we don't have snow yet :( hoping to find him a nice jacket soon

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Angel doesn't mind clothes at all, in fact, I am in the process of making him some shirts and jackets. If he is cold, he gets very nasty! He gets nippy! When I realize he's cold and put a sweater on him, he is a little nicer! lol.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have sweaters and fleece coats for my dogs.. I don't buy t-shirts for them or anything. I prefer the coats without hoods. My dogs don't mind wearing them, it keeps them cozy when we are out walking in the cold.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I knitted sweaters for everyone but Ami so far. The only reason he doesn't have one is because he is still growing pretty quickly. All of mine will wear clothes. It usually takes a little bit for Chloe to accept that she has to wear it and she gives us evil looks for a little bit but then just forgets about it. I wish they had more tee-shirts to wear but I haven't found enough of anything I like enough to spend money on. The first time we put clothes on Cali she was terrified but her fur is so thin and she seemed so cold that after a little while she seemed to appreciate the warmth and she was fine.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
It like with anything else, you need to start early getting them used to it.
Just start putting it on each day whether they need it or not to get them used to having something on.
Leila has been wearing stuff on occasion since i brought her home at 10 weeks. She helps put her head in stuff and holds very still.
Finn being a newbie to it all tries to get away but i just tell him.."If you're gonna live under my roof, you're gonna have to wear the clothes!" ;) lol He will learn that running is futile! Mwhahaha!!!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Minnie and Peyton love wearing clothes, especially to keep warm when we go out. Tootsie doesnt like it but she tolerates it. i sometimes make her wear something to keep warm when we go out, but seems she doesnt really get cold like the others

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
3 of mine love wearing sweaters it's so cold in Canada my guys freeze but ninja despite being half bald from alopecia will not wear clothes he just spins in circles and rolls around trying to get it off lol

This is beaus first winter and we can't find anything to fit his tiny body he is freezing outside and we don't have snow yet :( hoping to find him a nice jacket soon
You could always knit one or find some nice person to make you one ,here's the link,so easy to make

Knit a Chihuahua Sweater.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie doesn't particularly like having clothes put on her, but seems okay once they're on. She's not a fan of sweaters that go over her head, but we have a blanket style fleece she's been wearing while going outside. We live in Canada and once it starts dropping below zero, the fleece probably won't be enough. Maybe try a blanket style sweater and see how it works :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Odie doesn't particularly like having clothes put on her, but seems okay once they're on. She's not a fan of sweaters that go over her head, but we have a blanket style fleece she's been wearing while going outside. We live in Canada and once it starts dropping below zero, the fleece probably won't be enough. Maybe try a blanket style sweater and see how it works :)
Yes, the blanket type sweater sounds perfect...like a polartec material. Has anyone purchased one they love for the Chi's....fit can be so funny for them. I have purchased a couple Ts we really don't like, but then found a few we love! I live so far from shopping that it will need to be a special "trip" to buy or else order on the internet. Thx!!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts