Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Just wondering if any of your chi's chase their tails!!?? Lola is 5 months old and she has started to do this more and more it seems as her tail got longer she noticed it more!! I read somewhere that this could be because of stress in a dog but Lola is not stressed at all!! Neither does she have any medical problems! She doesn't do it constantly but when she starts she'll continue for about 5 mins! I was hoping this is somewhat normal or maybe she does have mental health issues!! :D :D

Thanks
Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel chases her tail although not as often as she used to. She would spin around so fast she would make herself dizzy. LOL! And I agree... it doesn't always have to do with stress. Angel does it when she is extra playful. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan, says that excessive tail-chasing is a sign of boredom in most cases. I'm sure everyone that watches the show saw the episode with the little dog that just kept twirling around and around and around... it was funny to watch but very sad to see the little dog so obsessed with it. Of course, that was an extreme case, but you may try what he did to see if it helps.

He always suggests walking the dog for a long period of time (depending on size and energy level) at least once a day. That always seems to help immensely, no matter what the dog's problems are. Also, try not to encourage the behavior by talking to the dog, laughing, watching the behavior, etc. I can't remember exactly what he did with the little dog in the show, but he probably just snapped his fingers and said "shh" when she started.

His show is on the National Geographic channel... the website is http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/index.html. I haven't looked to see if there are tips, etc but I thought I'd throw the link in.

Be sure, if you go, to check out the "preview" at the bottom of the page with Nuno, the Demon Chihuahua! LOL... his behavior might ring true for some of us out there. They don't show what happened when Cesar arrived but I saw the show and little Nuno did great. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wiz chases and bites his tail at least once a day. I think it's because he is so young and I pretty much ignore it. It usually starts when he's licking himself after going potty, and I guess he remembers it's there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts