Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Question. How many of you take your Chihuahua(s) with you out of the house on a regular basis? If so, what sorts of gear do you have for this purpose? Doggie "purses", car seats, etc.

And on another note, Elvis Presley got a new crate yesterday that lasted all of one day. I decided to get him a softer crate with really plush lining. It had a mesh front, but since Elvis doesn't chew, I thought that he would be perfectly fine with that. We went to dinner, put him in his crate, zipped up the front, and fastened the zipper into the safety snap.

We come home to a very excited Elvis greeting us at the front door. Upon further inspection, he had chewed a medium sized hole through the mesh, and somehow managed to unsnap the zipper and climb out. He's a great dog, so he didn't get into anything or cause damage, but the crate is gonna have to go to the trash, and back to the ones with the metal "cage" fronts. LOL. I don't want my baby to feel like he's in jail but apparently he needs to!

Hope y'all had a great day with your Chi's. :)

· Registered
1,444 Posts
I take Rocky wherever possible. In the car he is buckled up but I am looking for a soft crate instead. Then I got a Sherpa Tote where he can get in, in case he couldn't walk because of too many people or when in a shop (non food shop). But he walks most of the time. I also got a Sherpa Delta Deluxe carrier so I can take him onto flights with me.
For me, there are places where I am defo not taking him though such as grocery shops (or any other places where food is sold, except restaurants which allow dogs), the doctors office or the hospital.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Hiya, I take Honey everywhere with me. She has a travel crate for the car - she loves it and just goes straight to sleep as soon as she gets in it, i love that she is such a good traveller. She did have a car seat, but didnt really relax in it, so back to the crate it was!
She has a few bags that she will sit in and be carried in if she has to, but she just loves to walk! As Sabine said, i wont take her to foody shops etc.

· Registered
237 Posts
About the crate like a "jail". I felt the same way. I've made mine all up inside and out. I wish I could get into it and sleep! It's the same size as a pillow (the ones we use on our beds) so I got one of them and a pretty pillow sham. Then I got baby crib bumpers and "re-invented" them to fit all the way around( except the front door of course). I got a fleece throw and put that in there too. Then I got a sheet and made a cover for the three sides and top. It got the "jail" thought out o my head. Now I wish I could fit in it and shut the door to escape the world every once in a while lol

This isn't the proper cover (we had just moved). And the cat decided to nap in it lol

· Registered
24 Posts
Wow thats a really good idea with the crate! it definatly looses the "jail" feel! I dont think my two like there crates that much because it is like a jail really isnt it!! That Looks sooooo comfy!!! I feel the same as u - i wudnt mind getting in ther either lol!! I think im going to do something like that now for my two! I think they will love it! Thanks for the idea!!i really think it will make them more at ease being in the crate when its all comfy like that =)

i dont think i could ever Put my two in a softer crate they would escape too!! Haha bless um

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

· Registered
78 Posts
For Ren, I have a hard plastic crate that I've been using for car rides. I bought the crate before I first went to pick him up, since I knew it would be a long car ride home. The top is removable, so I can put the crate on the passenger seat, and he can stand up, looking over the top and watching cars go by. He seems to like it. So far I have taken him out to obedience class, grooming, and a small dog playgroup.

I recently bought two other things for him:

Canvas Tote Pet Carrier from Lands End - it hasn't arrived yet, but I thought it would be a good way to carry him around for short excursions because the plastic crate can be heavy and cumbersome.

Pet Sling from Etsy - I haven't tried this yet, but will soon. I had been looking for a sling that looked both comfortable and strong, and this seemed like it fit.

· Registered
5,822 Posts
Toby has a carrier for the car. He crawls in on his own- he absolutely adores it! I just buckle the carrier in and he is all set. Sometimes I unzip the "viewing pocket" that the carrier has so he can see me. He just listens to the radio and hangs out when he isn't sleeping and he has taken some long trips.

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I take Lady everywhere I can. I sure wish she could come to work everyday. She does come on low key Fridays! I have a snoozer pet car seat for her and a tote bag (nothing fancy, I got it from Amazon). I gate her into the laundry room when we are at work. At first she whined when I put her in but now I think she knows we will be back. I know putting a dog in a crate is something many do but I just did not want to restrict her like that. She has a 6 by 12 laundy area to move around in during the day with the essentials (water, a blanket and a wee-wee pad which she rarely uses unless I am running late).

· Registered
102 Posts
I try to take my lucky out when I run errands or when we go for milk tea runs..,she behaves all the time. When inside the mall she stays in a pet carrier messenger style with uv mesh which I purchased from amazon...but when were in the open areas or courtyards I let her walk with a leash...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.