Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it’s been since August 26 that Taquito came home. I don’t know anything about his history prior to that but I do know he didn’t know how to interact with other dogs. For example, all he did was jump my other dogs and he didn’t know what to do about play bows.

He’s gained two pounds so I no longer feel his spine. I still feel his ribs but I don’t see them anymore, or his vertebrae.

He’s improved tremendously.

He’s now going to doggy day care and he loves playing with the mellow dogs. He’s made great friends with a husky, and he seems to prefer the bigger dogs over the littles. No wonder, since he lives with two golden retrievers and had a German Shepherd as a friend from next door.

Some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
That's great! What big ears he has (at least in the pictures). I'm so glad you took the time and patience to bring this little boy back to the chihuahua he was meant to be.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great! What big ears he has (at least in the pictures). I'm so glad you took the time and patience to bring this little boy back to the chihuahua he was meant to be.

Thank you!!!! He’s actually super friendly and open to new experiences. LOVES LOVES LOVES car rides. He’s now no longer afraid of the windshield wipers.

And HE. LOVES. RAW. CHICKEN. WINGS!!!!!

He’s not treat motivated and he’s not too keen on training. I still haven’t been able to put a “come,” “sit,” or “lie down” on him. Luckily he responds to his name and to “no.”

I really want to get some proper training on him. He loves people so much and he’s so outgoing and open that I think he would make an AWESOME therapy dog.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And yeah on the ears.....I’ve got no clue what he might be mixed with. They’re ENORMOUS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can see here how his ribs are no longer visible.

This is right now, having dinner.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here he is with a marrow bone. He wouldn’t touch them when he first got home. His mouth hurt too much.

And those are his golden retriever “siblings” Max and Emma.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
could you use some tiny morsels of frozen chicken for treats in training? Cut them up in pinky fingernail size, and freeze on an open sheet of paper you can get them off of. Training a chihuahua is the same as Goldens! Maybe you can get down on the floor, or pick him up on the couch for 'sit' and 'down' training?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
could you use some tiny morsels of frozen chicken for treats in training? Cut them up in pinky fingernail size, and freeze on an open sheet of paper you can get them off of. Training a chihuahua is the same as Goldens! Maybe you can get down on the floor, or pick him up on the couch for 'sit' and 'down' training?

Oh he loves chicken. The thing is he’s not really made the connection yet. He’s eight and I have no idea what he might have learned, or not, in the past. He’s also noise sensitive so clickers are not something he responds positively to.

He seems to have lived all his life with two words: Taquito and no.

I want to expand his world. It will take time. The penny hasn’t dropped yet.

But you’ve hit on something. The size. I’m used to puppies who were bigger than he is!!! So it’s odd for me to kneel rather than stand when I work to train the sit. And body position makes a huge impact when training.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS: you could wear some gloves if you don't want to handle raw chicken, or just remember to wash your hands well afterwards.

Oh that’s not a problem!!!🤪

I LIVE with chicken and cheese in my fingers. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no. I think when you live with dogs or cats or any pet you have to realize that a sterile environment isn’t going
to happen.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm so glad he's doing great!!
He's living the life he deserves :)

Your goldens are soo cute! Honestly I'm considering a golden or lab down the line.
A big happy go lucky dog :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm so glad he's doing great!!
He's living the life he deserves

Your goldens are soo cute! Honestly I'm considering a golden or lab down the line.
A big happy go lucky dog :)

Thank you!!!

He’s a super cool little dude. So much fun. And he’s starting to lean into me and snuggle into me. I think he’s accepted this is his new life. I’m so happy I brought him home.

And yeah.....Goldens are my breed. I definitely recommend them as a family or companion dog. But you have to be ready for lots of shedding and groomers once a month. They’re honestly my breed.

I mean look at this face. ❤❤❤

1 - 15 of 15 Posts