Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had to take my pup to get his shots and comprehensive exam yesterday-- they said he has some tartar.. i'm a bit shocked because i've given him lots of chewies that are said to stop it..

this boy won't let anyone touch his teeth so i *really* don't want to brush them..

any other suggestions??

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Have you tried him with the toothpaste?
It's a slow process but well worth the effort.
There are different flavors too incase he doesn't like the first kind you get.

Start by putting a little toothpaste on your finger and letting him lick it off.
Gradually over several days, start touching his teeth with toothpaste on your finger.

They also make fingertip toothbrushes. After he gets used to you putting your finger in his mouth, start using the toothbrush or fingertip toothbrush.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
speaking from experience, my pointer was not into having her teeth brushed (she was 8 when i rescues her and never had it done before) i talked to the dental tech where i worked for some help. he said wrap your finger in gauze and try that, sometimes they just don't like having an object stuffed in there. make it a positive experience (lots of goooood giiiiiiiirrrrrlllllll!!!)

wrap him up in a towel like a burrito have someone help you hold him and try the gauze (the toothpaste is optional if your dog hates it don't force it) you'll be surprised how that gauze can clean! also use the c.e.t dental chews. those are the only chew out there that i will back cause i've seen it with my own eyes how much of a difference they can be. my pointer was going to have to get a dental cleaning but i said give me a month to get her mouth into shape, all i used was gauze, my finger, lots of patience and persistence and those c.e.t chews and her teeth were excellent!they took before and after photos of her teeth to use in demonstrations that is how much it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts