Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been contemplating getting a tattoo for over a good year and a half. I've known for a long time that i want to get one, Ive just been taking my good sweet time figuring out exactly what and where. A lot of idea's Ive had I decided against, because I dont want to have something that will show easily, so as to inhibit me getting a good job, you know?
Soooo after much deliberation Ive decided on two.
I want to get a small little line of hearts on my inner left wrist, (I figure I can cover this up with a watch very easily)
and a little fairy on the back of my neck.
Both of these are actually from the video game Zelda, (I know, Im a huge nerd) but they mean a lot to me personally so I hope I wont regret them.
Has anyone else had a tattoo recently, or in similar areas to the ones Im getting? I think Im going to try and go tomorrow before I lose my nerve, but I would love to hear other people's experiences...

·
Registered
565 Posts
if you want something that can be covered easily at work i would suggest getting it somewhere on your back or on your ankle. it seems like neck and wrist would be harder to hide.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo as well, although I'm not sure where yet. I don't want it to show up in ballet but you're very limited in where you can put one so it wouldn't show up there :p I do know the back of the neck is kind of a painful place to get it though.

Also you won't be able to cover the wrist one with a watch until it's completely healed (over a month) ... and I wouldn't recommend covering it with a watch because that's pretty rough and it can rub off the skin, causing your tattoo to fade really quickly. Depending on what your work is though, a small tattoo might not even be a big deal ^_^

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I always wanted a tattoo like on my lower abdomen.
I was going to get something in honor of my father- I was thinking a star because he loooved looking at stars :love5:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Stars would be very nice ^_^ I'd reconsider the lower abdomen though if you ever intend on having children. It will stretch out and warp, and won't regain it's shape afterwards either.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I have a tattoo on the back of my neck and the front of my wrist. I really regret the one on my wrist because it's on the front and very noticeable. But the one on my neck can be hid easily since it's small and I have long hair. :)

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
I have 4 tats 1 on my inside wrist a really pretty cross I love it it's my fav tattoo. I got it a few yrs ago after I almost died I'm 40 now so I felt I wouldn't regret it at my age & I don't at all.

I'm also considering getting somthing large across my back sortof going from my shoulder & sortof swirling across to my waist on the other side. I really want something to represent my 3 kids.

I would really strongly sggest you fnd a good tattoo artist & just go talk to them about what you want have them draw something up you look at it for a time & decide. That's what I'll be doing soon. Once you find someone you trust & like stick with them for all your tats ;)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree with Alisha about finding a good artist and talking to them about your tattoo ideas first. It's important to find an artist that you feel comfortable with, because your tattoo is going to be permanent (obviously ;)). I don't know if I would ever want a tattoo on the back of my neck personally, but I do like it for other people. I would want to be able to wear my hair up without having to worry about it showing. But maybe for you that's not a problem. I have one small tattoo on my hip (it's just a couple of words), and I like the location of mine, even though it'll probably stretch there too if I ever have kids. But really, there are pros and cons for just about any part of the body, and you just have to decide what's best for you. I do like your ideas, I don't think that's nerdy at all, as long as it's something you like. :D

I thought long and hard before I finally got my first tattoo (over three years), but I'm glad I did because some of the ideas I had in the past and THOUGHT I would like, I hate now, lol. But I love the one I finally got, and I don't think I'll ever change my mind on it. And even if I do, I try to think of things this way: you shouldn't regret anything that ever made you smile, even if it was only once. And the tattoo will always be a link to your past and who you used to be, even if you change as you get older...and I kind of like that idea. :)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I loooove tattoos!! My bf is actually getting me one for my birthday next year instead of another puppy lol. I'm getting it on my lower abdomen, a baby duck holding a blue blankie sucking his thumb with my sons initials in a heart by the ducks head. I've been thinking about it forever. I would say that pretty much anywhere can be covered easily. I mean, on the back of your neck, let your hair cover it at work. And a couple friends of mine have tattoos on thier inner wrists and they just wear a watch or something to cover it. :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm curious. What is the least Painful place to get a tattoo? I have something In mind that I'd like to get, but i'm very much a wuss when it comes to pain (as well as terrified of needles), so I'm looking for suggestions as to where to put it. The other thing is that it has to be something that I can hide when I need to.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a large piece across my lower back. I have three sun signs intermingled. The center sign (virgo - virgin) represents my hubby and deceased dad. My sign (pisces - two fish) swimming around center sign and last, but not least, my childrens sign (both aquarius - waves) on both sides of the center piece. I absolutely love my tat! It means alot to me personally and it is also in a very descreet place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for everyone's imput. I agree with what a lot of people are saying about finding a reputable place to get it done. I looked up a lot of differen places in my area online, and found one that I not only think looks clean, but I like all of the artist's styles and work. I went down there the other day to 'do the deed' but for some reason it was closed. So now, after having a few more days to think about it, Im going to call ahead and try and set up an appointment for this weekend. Wish me luck, and Ill be sure to post pics as long as I dont loose my nerve, lol.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
You should ask to see your artist's portfolio before you let them do it as well ... all artists take pictures of their work when they're finished for this. If they don't have one, don't get it done there. And make sure it's *theirs*, with only their work, not the studio's.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Apparently the most painful place to get a tattoo is the sole of your foot (the soft part).

A tattoo parlour near me says if you can manage to have your full name tattooed across the bottom of your foot you can have any tattoo for free!

·
Registered
565 Posts
kipbug said:
I'm curious. What is the least Painful place to get a tattoo? I have something In mind that I'd like to get, but i'm very much a wuss when it comes to pain (as well as terrified of needles), so I'm looking for suggestions as to where to put it. The other thing is that it has to be something that I can hide when I need to.
It's kind of individual, but anywhere that has thicker skin or a nice fat layer will be less painful. Anywhere that's on top of a bone or where the skin is thinner and more delicate, like the underside of your arm, will hurt more. I have one on my lower back off to the side (in the love handle area) that wasn't terribly painful at all. I also have one on my foot that hurt like bloody murder. I've heard guys that have gotten the arm band tattoos say that it didn't hurt much on teh outside of the arm, but under the arm (closer to the body) hurt a lot more. If you're really afraid of pain (like i was both times!) I would consider getting something small that won't take very long, but can be added onto later if you so choose. hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
actually...it realy does depend on the person for one...
the rib cage is THE most painfull spot followed by the sole of the foot, then anywhere you are ticklish...
so if you have a ticklish thigh itll hurt more than the same spot on someone not ticklish there.

anywhere neer bone has a higher surface density of nerve endings so tends to be higher in terms of general pain, writs and back of neck...those will be tender because they also tedn to be ticklish areas.
have a freind run their fingernail gently over the spot...if it tickles or you feel it real easy..its gonnatwinge when the needle runs over that spot.

Generally the rule of thumb is: skin exposed to sun alot (harder fleshy skin) ie outer upper arms and chest will hurt the least
the higher the fat content the least sensetive the area (yup us chubby girls have the advantage in this case) so areas like your butt cheek, breast (avoid the nipple) and outer thigh (midway between the knee and the hip) would be the least sensitive
areas with alot of bone (ankle wrist spine ect) will feel like it scratches alot more than somewhere with padding...bone forces the nerves closer to the surface causeing more discomfort,
under exposed flesh iie inner thighs, inner arms, belly ect, will hurt more then the exposed flesh, but not usually as muh as over bone.
the ribcage due to it being BOTH under exposed flesh, generally close to surface (even on a chubby person) bone content AND is the area most prone to ticklishness, its intense.

youll also USUALLY find, outline hurts most, they use a narrower needle so the pain is more focused, if you can get rhough the outlining, the rest is pretty much in the bag...

my biggest usggestions:
find an artist you trust, do NOT go in there and expect to have the tat the same day, most GOOD artists will have prebooked apointments!
when you go to the parlour, dont just look and think oh its clean, REALY LOOK! check out the room in which thetats done, the equiptment, each needle shoudl be indivdually ackaged and left sealed untill the moment before the tat. ask them about their cleaning polocies, do they autoclvae their guns? whatdo they reccomend for aftercare, what do they do about fading or after healing touch ups...different people heal differently so sometimes touchups are needed.
check out their portfolio, see how they feel about custom work ect.
ask questions, they should feel comfortable answering them!

the other biggest part of getting a tat is being uber dilligent about the aftercare!

i currently have 3, a small on on my thigh, its up higher neer my groin so was a little tender, but only took an hour to do and the pain was nothig more than the equivalent of a cat scratch, mostly while doing the outlining.
my second is on my left side of my lower back, its not quite on my butt but close to. that one is a faily large peice, and took 3 hours to complete, it hurt more than my first, but again was bareable the worst parts after the outlline where doing where it wraps onto my hip/side a little bit...i twinged a few times. (the love handles are almost as sensitive as the ribs themselves!)

my last one is a considerably large peice too, hes about 10" tall by about 9 inches at his wing span. hes on my right shoulder blade, a generally tender spot, but im a big girl so had the extra padding. he has to have been my most painfull and involved to date, he took a good 5-6 hours to complete (in one sitting) and theres many parts of him that sits intotender spots, one of the wings is neer my spine (ouch) the other goes almost to my underarm (again ouch) there are other spots that go in those general areas too.
but he was worht it. i love him the most
he also healed the slowest becuse my brastrap comes right over him lol...

my other HUGE suggestion is go in there with some kind of image already i mind...eery single peice i have and will ever have are origional ideas drawn by me or sketched by me and redrawn by the artist, every one has extreem deep meaning and i dont regret any of them because of it...

if your dign this, rember the pain is worth it ONLY if the image means somehting deep down to you..because the surgery to remove it hurts 10000 times more...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Actually foxy, some of that is not correct ;) Fat has nothing to do with the nerve endings under your skin. I've studied a lot of neuroscience, and while it does vary person to person, nerve endings and their sensitivity is something that is embedded in your skin, not under your fat, so more fat won't affect their sensitivity at all. Pain sensors and "ticklish" sensors are also not the same type of nerve, so while it may affect the sensitivity of pain in some areas in some people, it's generally not like that. Sorry to be picky, I'm not trying to argue, it's just neuroscience is a field I studied quite extensively in my degree so I like to make sure people aren't misinformed about things ;)

Each part of your body, and the nerve endings embedded there, are mapped to a particular part of your brain. Generally, the more nerve endings and more area of brain used for that part, the more sensitive it is. And this ratio is consistent from person to person, provided the nerves weren't damaged due to some sort of accident or repeated exposure (burns, systematic desensitization). So while arms and chest typially are less sensitive, it is not because they are exposed to the sun, it is because they have fewer nerve endings ... simply because they don't need them. Each body part has a level of sensitivity specific to its level of functioning. So hands have a lot, because they require a lot of feedback given what they are used for.

To give you an idea, have you ever seen a homunculus? It's basically a picture to represent the sensitivity of our different body parts. So while the degree of sensitivity may vary person to person, the areas and their respective ratios remain in tact. Sorry to ramble ... hopefully at least someone found that interesting ;) haha, I could just go on about neuroscience, I love it :D

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
This is a visual representation of the areas of the brain are mapped as a representation of how sensitive each body part is ... generally, the bigger the area, the more sensitive it is)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Haha Krista that pic is cool, I found that really interesting!

Thinking about it, grazes on your hands are soo painful, compared to a graze on the leg. The tongue being big in the picture, does that mean it's one of the more painful parts?

I hope so, I've got my tongue pierced and I coped with that fine, so I like to think I'm quite a hardy (high pain threshold) kinda girl!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts