Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to teach Jazz how to sit the last couple of days but had no luck with the methods mentioned on the net. I tried holding a treat in front of her head and move it towards her back, but instead of sitting she jumps or flips backwards. She's extremely energetic and i haven't seen her sit by herself since the day i got her. She either runs like crazy or sleep. :?

I also tried pushing her back down but this makes her spread her back legs and not sit properly. I guess the small size makes it difficult to train her using the conventional methods. Any other ideas that you guys have used to train your chi?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
We taught Bosco how to sit by standing right in front of him and getting his attention by calling his name, and then saying 'sit'. When we get his attention he looks up at us but since we are standing so much higher than he is, he has to sit down to look up at us properly. Maybe you could try that? It worked on Bosco. Just be sure when she finally does do it, you give her lots of praise and a treat right away - I heard that if you don't treat/praise them within 3 seconds it doesn't reinforce the right idea to the dog. Good luck!

Anna

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
This is gonna sound weird but Kemo never sat on his own until recently and when he did I would tap his butt and say SIT. Well this started shortly before I started training w/Petsmart. I laughed and told the trainerr I too tried the butt push, trying to fold his legs under him etc and he would do anything but sit......then one day he just started when I tapped his butt. Now I can get him too but he really just wants to do what HE wants!! Keep at it and good luck.......... :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I teach sit by telling people to do one of two things

1) Shape the behavior by waiting till they sit and then use a clicker, click it and give a treat...once they figure out that sitting is giving them the treat start naming it. It takes a long time at first, but once a dog understands shaping it goes really fast!!!! It does take a lot of patients at first

2) take a treat and hold it just over their head and say sit. Slowly move the treat back over their head and continue to say sit. They will eventually have to sit their butt down to look at the treat and thats when you praise them and say "good sit" and give them the treat. Much quicker way.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I used Kiwi's favorite treats. I would stand in front of her and get her attention and I would show her the treat and hold it to her nose and gently give her a push to sit. I did this while I said the word sit. Then I gave her a lot of praise. It didn't take very long. I find it is easier to train if you and the chi are in good moods. Don't make it to be work. Be as up beat as possible. She will be more eager to learn if it is more a game then work. Once she learns this command try to incorporate into your everyday routine. (example: when you feed her ask her to sit) but this can be used at any routine that fits best for you. Hope this might help. Good luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Awe heck just use hot dogs with a few pushes on a butt and he will have it within a day.

I have yet not to have hotdog pieces work right away for teaching sit

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did the butt push and *sit* with the treat method too. Worked great. Now Yohsi does *lie down* too. We are working on *up* My pit bull x will do all three before he get a treat, he knows them so well. (I also make him sit before he eats)

How does the Petsmart training go? I thought about using that for my Pit. He's good except won't come back when called if he gets out of the house or off his line in the yard (he's a great jumper, so must be on a line when he's out back) It's funny how Yoshi bosses him around, and the cat too!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I started to teach Beetle to sit the 2nd home he's home... (yeah, I'm a mean mommy... :p ) I taught him like 3 times a day, before I hand out his food bowl, I push down his bottom and say "SIT", he got it after a few tries.
:lol:
JJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for you replies. :wink: As i said before holding a treat in front of her and moving it over her head does not work cause she goes crazy when she smells the treat and jumps at my hand. I'll give the butt-push method a few more tries and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Bosco's obedience trainer said you should never do the butt-push because it can really damage their little hips...but I guess as long as you aren't too rough it would be OK. Just be careful! :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I guess I was lucky because Auggie picked up on sit very easy. He learned to shake in 2 evening session of about 10 mins. But he is so funny because for a long time after he learned to shake when I would say sit he would sit and stick out his little paw like the 2 things automatically went together. :lol: :lol: Now he does them separately. We never give him a treat until he sits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts