Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, not posted for a while, but thought i would ask what your views are on teacups?

ive not long had my puppy, but from the start he was a tiny tiny pup. he has always been half the size of his brothers? weight and length. on his 5th gen pedigree certificate, it shows lines of champion bloodlines which his grandad was and teacups. just wondering if he has inherited the size of his ancestors? his mum was only small herself but a good 4 lb, where'as he isnt even a lb yet.

Thanks

x

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm sure someone else will jump in here and say the same thing but from what I've read in books and magazines, there's no such thing as a teacup chi. It's my understanding that "teacup" is a phrase coined by BYB to try and entice potential new owners that don't know any better. people like to call my 3# female a teacup but i just tell them there is no such thing as a teacup, she's just the runt of the litter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think so, it says te or ti infront of each of his ancestors names. only about 4 on there though and then 5 champions, and the rest are normal. x

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
How big is he now? How old is he? That will help get a better feel for his adult size.
All chihuahuas are in the toy breed category. Teacup, micro, etc. are just terms that people use to describe a very small chi. Breeders and sellers (not the best ones) will use this as a sales or marketing term to sell puppies. My favorites are those who tell me that they have a teacup chihuahua (like people at work) and then they send me a pic of a 5-6 lb. chi which is well within breed standard. AKC (here in the states) recognizes 2lbs. to 6 lbs. within the standard.

Oh, and you can search for chihuahua weight chart and that will help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure someone else will jump in here and say the same thing but from what I've read in books and magazines, there's no such thing as a teacup chi. It's my understanding that "teacup" is a phrase coined by BYB to try and entice potential new owners that don't know any better. people like to call my 3# female a teacup but i just tell them there is no such thing as a teacup, she's just the runt of the litter.

yes ive also heard that. however i thought runt of the litter would be the ugliest one for some reason lol,where as my boy was the best looking. his ears are up, small mussle and gorgeous build. maybe teacup is just a fancy name lol same as pick of the litter, but i do prefer it to runt :) x thanks for your input :) x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How big is he now? How old is he? That will help get a better feel for his adult size.
All chihuahuas are in the toy breed category. Teacup, micro, etc. are just terms that people use to describe a very small chi. Breeders and sellers (not the best ones) will use this as a sales or marketing term to sell puppies. My favorites are those who tell me that they have a teacup chihuahua (like people at work) and then they send me a pic of a 5-6 lb. chi which is well within breed standard. AKC (here in the states) recognizes 2lbs. to 6 lbs. within the standard.

Oh, and you can search for chihuahua weight chart and that will help!

well i was going by his size difference to his litter mates, he is half the size of them. he's 15 ounces, and fits in the palm of my hand. i will look up the chart. thanks :) x

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
A teacup is dishware not a dog. PERIOD. Your "Buddy" is a regular ol' chihuahua, and runt or not (not every litter has a runt), small or big, ugly or cute, chihuahua he is and nothing more or less :) Teacup is kind of an offensive word to people who truly have learned about the breed and studied it. While you may call him whatever you want, do not be surprised if some are offended by the use of the word 'teacup'.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
forgot to mention he's nearly 10 weeks x

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
My "Bryco" was almost 15 oz at 10 weeks and now is close to a 5 lb adult at 16 months old...so don't be too sure your fella will even stay super tiny :) He may not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay i have checked out growth charts for chihuahua's, and by going by his weight and age now, he is going to roughly between 1 1.2 - 2 lbs. so a very tiny boy. x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My "Bryco" was almost 15 oz at 10 weeks and now is close to a 5 lb adult at 16 months old...so don't be too sure your fella will even stay super tiny :) He may not.

well. it still doesnt explain why his brothers are double his size :)

and even the vet i take him to said he was going to be a small boy... x

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
okay i have checked out growth charts for chihuahua's, and by going by his weight and age now, he is going to roughly between 1 1.2 - 2 lbs. so a very tiny boy. x
You are reading the chart wrong, it charts him at 2 1/2 lbs, but as I said, my boy that was abt an ounce smaller than Buddy, is close to a 5 lb adult. The charts are not always right, especially if a dog does not come from a good breeder. If you want a tiny adult, buy a tiny adult. Puppies almost always grow.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts

Sure it does, his brothers had better uterine placement than he did, shoved him off when he was nursing, and now that he is away from them he has plenty of time to catch up! Bryco's mum was under 4 lbs, and dad was 4 lbs. He is bigger than both of them. Very few chis stay under the 3 lb mark as adults, and if they do, generally they are not healthy dogs. SOME are, but, generally, there are problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are reading the chart wrong, it charts him at 2 1/2 lbs, but as I said, my boy that was abt an ounce smaller than Buddy, is close to a 5 lb adult. The charts are not always right, especially if a dog does not come from a good breeder. If you want a tiny adult, buy a tiny adult. Puppies almost always grow.

well his breeder, has given me his papers, 5th gen cert, and hasent endorsed them. so i was very lucky there... she obviously knows whats what.

if you didnt read my other post, i mentioned that his brothers are double his size if not bigger!!!

time will tell if he is going to be small...or big as you say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure it does, his brothers had better uterine placement than he did, shoved him off when he was nursing, and now that he is away from them he has plenty of time to catch up! Bryco's mum was under 4 lbs, and dad was 4 lbs. He is bigger than both of them. Very few chis stay under the 3 lb mark as adults, and if they do, generally they are not healthy dogs. SOME are, but, generally, there are problems.
all the pups from the litter were taken from mum at the same time.

the breeder i got him from also has a bitch from a litter she previously bred, and she is just 2lbs. and full grown in good health. same as buddy, he has had all vet checks and is said to be perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He was aso the bully of the litter so no luck of him getting shoved off lol x

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts

I wouldn't count on him staying tiny. My youngest puppy, Penny, was charting at 2.5 lbs and now is a little over 3 pounds at 4 months. She will probably be 5-6 pounds as an adult like Lion. There are a lot of factors that contribute to adult weight. In the end how tiny he is really doesn't matter, as long as you love him. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
He looks lovely bless him. Whether he grows big or not. Strange how times of changed though. Years ago when I was young you couldn't give the runt away for love nor money Somewere over the years certain breeders have come up with a money spinner by calling the runt a Teacup. Lol no such thing but a great gag to get a few extra pounds for something you had to give away at one time. Beware any breeder saying they sell teacups are no better than puppy farmers.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree with the others, as said here there are no real "teacups"...it's just a description & one that is NOT recognized by any kennel club (meaning it wouldn't be on any sort of registration papers). Your pup may or may not be a "tiny" adult. Only time can tell. It's very common for some pups in litters to be smaller or bigger than their littermates. Even 1/2 the size. :) Mari & Maya (littermates) were about 1/2 the size of their brothers. I can't tell you the weight of their brothers but they themselves both are around 4.5lbs which is what they charted at about 8 weeks. But honestly that doesn't always happen--especially with tiny pups who are pushed out of the way by their littermates. You will soon see in the coming weeks if his growth rate will increase now since he won't have to fight over it. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.