Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have been reading up on all things "Chi" and have been thinking about this whole "Teacup" thing... After our consult at the vet today regarding having Button spayed, a woman approached us and did the whole "awwww what a sweet puppy!" Squeal lol.Ever the proud Mama I allowed her to gush on a minute or two. Naturally she asked how old Button is and she looked suitably stunned when I told her that Button is nearly Two and a half. "Ohhh you have a Teacup Chihuaha!You are so lucky...yada yada..." Being new to this Chihuahua parenting I felt it best not to say any more on the subject. It did get me thinking though.....I wondered....Is my Pocket Princess a Teacup Chi?? I love research so conducted some at home tests to ascertain whether or not she is indeed a Teacup Chi....

Test One (You gotz to be kidding!)

Hmmmm (You been a silly Chimom!)
Test Two:

Test Three (Mom deyz all laughing at me!)

Conclusion:
No, I do not have a Teacup Chihuahua :hello1:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ha Ha - I love it.

The sad thing is, we often see "teacup" chihuahua puppies advertised here with pictures if them sitting in tea-cups :confused:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
lol so sweet.But there is no such thing as a teacup chihuahua there is just runts of the litter.She is a very sweet girl.My smallest chi is 5pounds my biggest is 11pounds lol I have Gaint chis.lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know there is no such thing as a Teacup Chi, I was just being silly having a bit of fun after getting the whole "You have a Teacup Chihuahua" comment at the vet :)
I love my itty bitty runt lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
That is hillarious. I like how she just gives up. I have people ask me if my toy fox is a tea cup chi (she's like seven pounds) or if she is the mother of my other chis who look nothing like her or eachother lol. My husband has a big soup bowl shaped like a tea cup and it makes all my dogs look tiny.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for the lovely comments :)
I need a bigger teacup I think :D

She is such a delight that I cannot fathom how anyone could stick her in a cage for nearly 2 years???? She is sweet and gentle and loves snuggles and cuddles and would live in my arms if she could. I cannot imagine my life without her now :D

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi terry thanks for the cute pics your little buttons is always fun to read about you have another chih in your pic named max is a tiny also?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I get it all the time too! I originally informed every one that there is no such thing.... but its such a effort lol. I just tell them she is a normal Chihuahua, who is small for her age/was the runt of the litter. Which is true lol

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Love this thread. The pics are adorable. Love them!!!!

I too get the "Is he a teacup?" all the time. Sometimes I take the time to explain, most of the time I just say he is a tiny little fella isn't he? Then people say, either.... "OMG I want one, he is so cute". Or "I am not a little dog person" Quigley always gets attention either way. LOL. Sometimes we Chi lovers get a bit too sensitive about the use of the words. If the person saying it had 4 chihuahua's that were with them and bred them. Yes, we would have reason to be concerned. The average person admiring our dogs does not necessarly want a lesson in Chihuahua's they just want to make idle chit chat so they can oooh and awwwe over our precious babies. JMHO. And frankly, if someone asking if Quigley is a teacup is the worst thing that happens on an outing. It has been a pretty good outing! I'm just saying.....

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ha ha cute thread! She certainly is a cutie and I think you handled the situation perfectly. Like Quigley's mom said... sometimes people just wanna chat and don't want a lecture on 'there is no teacup chi' thing. Buttons is a perfect little ambassador of our breed. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Hahahahahaha!!! Toooooo cute!!! :lol: Very cute pics, and very cute captions! I'm going to agree that most could care less whether there is really such a thing as a "teacup" Chi. Unless they are a breeder trying to sell a pup using the word, then it's just a word. I wouldn't even bother trying to educate an admirer. : )

I've got 4 teacup Chi's. All ya gotta do is ask anyone around here that see's them. :D :lol: Joking of course since I know there is no such a thing. But I have yet to convince anyone that they are just Chi's. I quit trying after the first person looked at me like I had 2 heads. The oddest occurrence with the Wee’s was a lady and her husband in Petsmart. I walk in with 3 on leashes, lady makes a dead stop, and calls out to her husband on the next row and says, “honey, come look, REAL Chihuahua’s!” LOL I ended up talking to the couple for over an hour.

I don’t take mine in stores and stuff much anymore. I used too, but I always ended up being there for 2 hours with hands all over the place, and questions out the wazoo. I even had a lady stick her name and number that she wrote on a piece of paper down the front of my shirt. YES! In my shirt. She wanted to use Chance to breed to her Chi so she could have a litter of “teacups.” :lol: That was not long before he was neutered at 19 months old. The funniest most recent thing that happened was when I took Lexie inside of the store that I get my dog food from. They have a groomer in there, and I know the owner real well. I head back to the grooming area to get Lexie’s nails trimmed, and it took me 20 minutes to get back there with all the hands and questions. I told the lady that I would hold Lexie while she trimmed her nails. She said, “awwwwww, I don’t know if I can even get ahold of her tiny lil feet, I’m scared I’m going to hurt her.” One of the ladies that groomed had Chi’s, and she started telling me how horrible it was to have such a tiny Chi, she would never want one, etc. I just smiled and nodded. :lol: When she got done with her “speech,” I said, I have one outside in the car with my Mom that is almost half this one’s size and she‘s full grown too. Her response was, “absolutely no way!” She said, “I’d have to see that to believe it.” She came out to my Van, and she looked at Jade and said, “That is a young puppy, NOT a full grown Chi.” LMBO!!!!

With all that said, The Wee’s draw a lot of positive attention. People are amazed to see such tiny dogs. The Wee’s enjoy the attention, and people love to ooogle over them. The only down side is when The Wee’s are with me, I have no privacy. :lol: People even stick their heads in my car!!! It’s kinda nuts, actually.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I used to do the whole " Actually Chihuahuas are supposed to be anywhere between 2-6 pounds breed standard" when I got the whole " omg omg a teacup Chihuahua" (or in some cases papillion??!!)
I just smile and try to get the heck away from people these days...lol
It's annoying and I don't like people grabbing at my dog and I don't think he likes it either.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts