Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I just thought this might interest some people and newbies who come along and wonder what is a teacup chihuahua ? I hope this helps :wave:

The official A.K.C. Breed Standard describes the Chihuahua as a small dog that comes in two varieties or coat types. The difference in coat type (the Long Coat or the Smooth Coat) is the only official description used to identify a difference within this breed. Our Standard does not categorize the Chihuahua by size.

For the purpose of showing and record keeping, the American Kennel Club includes the Chihuahua (along with 16 other breeds) in the Toy Group. Therefore, irrespective of their weight or physical stature, ALL Chihuahuas registered with A.K.C. are considered to be a toy breed of dog.

As with all living things, there will be a size variance between individual dogs within this breed. Within the human family, brothers and sisters will differ in height and in weight, as well as other physical attributes. They are described as humans, male or female, and there is seldom if ever a need to break the description down further. The same holds true in regard to the Chihuahua; they are Chihuahuas-Long Coat/Smooth Coat, Male/Female.

Unfortunately, the additional adjectives used to describe the size difference and physical appearances are many; and have been misused for so long they now seem legitimate. Tea-cup, Pocket Size, Tiny Toy, Miniature or Standard - are just a few of the many tags and labels that have been attached to this breed over the years. The Chihuahua Club of America is concerned that these terms may be used to entice perspective buyers into thinking that puppies described in this way are of greater monetary value. They are not; and the use of these terms is incorrect and misleading.

Occasionally, within a litter, there may be a puppy that is unusually small. That puppy is a small Chihuahua and any other breakdown in description is not correct. To attach any of these additional labels to a particular pup is to misrepresent that animal as something that is rare or exceptional and causes a great deal of confusion among those fanciers who are looking for a Chihuahua.

The Chihuahua Club of America does not endorse or condone the use of any of these terms and would caution the perspective puppy buyer not to be misled by them.

We recognize that many Chihuahua fanciers do want the very small puppy. While they are adorable and can be perfectly healthy, the buyer should be cautioned as to the extra care that may be required with regard to their general health and well-being.

if anyone else has any info on the so called teacup chihuahuas please follow on from here :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am so glad you posted that, b/c so many people lately don't believe me when I tell them there really isn't such a thing as a teacup. I just learned that this year though, probably from the book "chihuahuas for dummies". One breeder also told me that the puppy size is determined from the father's size. The smaller the dad the smaller the pups, but even that doesn't always hold true. One thing about the small small chis I have heard, is they don't live as long and have more defects and aren't nearly as healthy. Anyone else hear that too?
well, thank you for sharing that, I didn't have the guts to.

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
mel said:
I am so glad you posted that, b/c so many people lately don't believe me when I tell them there really isn't such a thing as a teacup.
I know what you mean. I have basically told all of my family and friends the same thing but they have heard that stupid term for so long, they kinda think I don't know what I am talking about. That's o.k. though, I'm just glad I know better now. :wink:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
sklarsen said:
Thanks for the information but I'm still confused on how we know if it's a teacup or normal chihuahua.
There is NO TEACUP CHIHUAHUAS. The term 'teacup' is a scam! Bad breeders use it to put up the price on the runt of the litter...If your Chi only weights 2lbs...well, that only means you got a VERY SMALL chi..there is no such thing as teacup... :wave: hope that helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think my breeder has lied to me and we're hoping to get some money back because she told me Tia was a toy chihuahua meaning she's smaller than usual and won't grow to be over probably about 3 1/2 lbs. She does have a small body structure, but the breeder made us pay $1200 for her. She told me I could show her if I wanted. My breeder said that she has Tia's dad but went to another breeder for the mother and bought her for breeding but realized she was too small... Well I didn't think about it at the time, but if she's too small to breed how can I show her? And when I took her to the vets he mentioned the large hyrnia she had from her cord and that when I get her fixed we could remove it. He also said you can't show chihuahuas with one of those....

The breeder never mentioned to me the bump at all! She told me she was 2 lbs, I looked at the vet check papers when I got home and it says she was 3 lbs in november (I got her December 19). The breeder said she was 4 months and i think that's wrong but I'm not sure. She was born August 8.

So I think maybe I should get my mom to call her or send her an email. I'm worried. And her being 4 months (so the breeder says) for $1200? You'de pay that for a new puppy only a few weeks old!

EDIT:I held her on my scale and it says she's 2 1/2 pounds. It's a good scale, we got it some time last year. So maybe they said 3 lbs on the paper as just to round it off because it had little digits behind the 2 1/2. Who knows

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I to get aggravated with people advertizing "Teacup" or "Pocket Chis" :roll: then charging an enormous price!! My Chloe only weighs 3lbs and is 15months. Her parents were both 5lbs Chi's, she is simply a very tiny Chi. So far she has been extremely healthy...just a verypicky eater. :roll: But, we love her sooo much! I will try to post some of her baby pictures. They are just incredible! She looks like a little mouse :lol:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
yeah you were definatly cheated out of the money, but unfortunatly youll probably never see any of it back, show size by akc regognition is 3-6lbs, but theres alot of other things to consider other than weight, headshape bonestructure, stance, coat, ear position, lol, yeah it gets tedious lol.
just cause shes not of breeding size doesnt mean she cant be shown, but to find out about her show life youd have to try confimation and see where she placed in puppy show.

ive seen another thing going around other than the teacup issue, and thats the "Dearhead chihuahua" thing
so many people are now trying to sell there "RARE DEER HEAD CHIHUAHUAS" for upwards of 750-1500 and of course this is because of the taco bell and paris hilton chis bringing a popularity in this "brand new rare breed..."
what will people think of next, teacup greatdanes?!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Teacup Greatdanes.. yeah I want to see that... hehehehehhe good one foxy. :)

I think that all the celebs that have chihuahuas need to be correctly educated about them!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
I think that all the celebs that have chihuahuas need to be correctly educated about them!!!!!!!!
i read in a britney spears interview that her chi's a purebred teacup chihuahua.
wow isnt britney lucky :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
:wave: Hi, I just wanted to tell you all thank you! I am learning about Chis right now before i get one. I think it is great that you post information for people like, I , to read and get all the knowledge that we can. Thank you. :hello2:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts