Chihuahua People Forum banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Teacups is just a saying"half-sized" of being small

:daisy:I do not know what to say to that one...but
most people that are looking for more smaller dog than a regular small-sized dog and that is why the term" TEACUP" comes from. but you are right that there are not small breeds that aren't called teacups, if that was that case then there should be dog shows that has titles showing that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
saddening

This made me cry. :*( How can anyone be so cruel? Many things have changed over the course of the last 6 1/2 years that I've been a Chi owner, but the care of my dogs are always a priority to me, and always will be. It pisses me off to no end how people look at pets as disposable when they no longer fit into their lifestyle. The abuse part is even worse! How do people do these things? It's sickening and saddening. It absolutely infuriates me, and breaks my heart at the same time.
**** yes it is and I agree on that. some individuals AREN'T thinking about the upmost health and welfare of the dog instead of either looking for another decent home for it. :foxes15: and for the must be a decent punishment for it but I know that the humane society and other non-profit organizations are already taking measures in handling this upcoming and reoccurring issue at hand.(If there is going to be a change in lifestyle and couldn't afford their little furbaby to be with you into living a new place at least think of finding a relative or a decent a promising future owner to take it). :daisy: all in all rest easy because justice will be served to the beloved fur-sweeties out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Chi's had babies and I kept them all (6 counting mom and dad all fixed). The four babies span from 2 pounds to 6 pounds in the same litter, they are all 2 years old. I was told that any babies 4 pounds or less are babies conceived later then the larger ones. Unscrupulous breeders will induce labor one to two weeks prior to due date. In my case not being a breeder I allowed my Chi's to mate till they were done. My 2 pounder was 2 wks behind everyone else opening eyes and cutting teeth. I am thankful she is healthy and fixed. The vet that fixed her said she had a full size uterus. If she had babies she would have died or had serious complications.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is a good post very imformative to people 😊😁 I have 4 really small chis from 1.2lbs to 2lbs and so bleassed they lived a very long happy life with me and my husband at the age of 20yrs no one wanted them so I took them all now I just have one depending on the day sometimes she's 2lbs and most of the time she is shy of 2ounces but she is one happy healthy girl going 4thos coming July 4 😊😁 can't wait to celebrate her upcoming bday all my babies came from the same hobby breeder next town to us and she cared so much about her chis now she's retired

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I have had people ask me if Preslee is a teacup and I always respond with "No shes a mug" They always stand there with a puzzled look on thier face which is great cause then I have time to walk away.

Hearing that word refering to a dog just irritates the you now what outta me. I have a hard time being nice when people ask me that.
Haha that's brilliant. :laughing5: I'm going to use that one if that's ok? I once had a woman with a huge Chi ooh and ahh over Chad (5 pounds) in the waiting room of the Vet. She said something about him " clearly being a teacup" and when I politely corrected her she got defensive telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about and she purchased hers as a teacup. <sigh>

·
Registered
479 Posts
This was a good read! When I first got Corona(unplanned) I tried to quickly educate myself on chis. Bought several books and got a lot of information right here in this forum. Now conIdering the size of some of your little boys and girls, Corona isn't even that small (3.5lbs)but when I have her out and about she gets plenty of attention and comments. the number one seems to be "is she a tea cup"
Or what even gets me more "is she a miniature" yeah like there would be such a thing as a mini chihuahua!!!!!! I usually go with the , I got her from the local pound and so I really don't know what she is, my vet feels she is a purebred chi. I had a lady tell me yesterday that this was not possible because her eyes weren't big enough. Everyone is an expert when it comes to chis it seems. I think here where I live there are so so many chi mixes in the pounds that are usually a bit larger and people have come to consinder that a normal size chi. I see plenty of clearly chi mixes at the dog parks and their owners are like oh you have a chi too. I would never think to question them though, what's it hurt if they want to think they're purebred. I can't even say for sure Corona is with no history. Although she does have a soft spot which I have heard means pure chi. Anyway that's not really the point, but it is funny all the tea cup nonsense. And if Corona had stayed at 2 pounds I would have loved her as much as if she had grown on to 10 pounds! So much emphasis on size... Clearly if you want to show, yeah it matters, but if not what's the deal....I'm so use Corona now she looks big to me!! But she remains right at her 3,5 pound self

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am always getting asked if Chewy is a teacup or toy. When I tell them no they will ask if he is a miniature. I just say no he's just a regular chihuahua rather than argue with people about the fact there are no such things as teacups, toys and miniatures in the chihuahua world. I wish people would quit using those words in advertisements. Very misleading to people who don't know the breed!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
It's not just in Chihuahuas. Anything to make a dishonest buck. My daughter and I visited a rescue last week and they had a bunch of pigs. Mostly regular size pigs. They told us that they had all been sold with a guarantee that they wouldn't get any larger than 30 lbs. Of course, folks without a farm can't very well keep a full size pig.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
People always ask if Doug is teacup...like no. I think he's actually 5 or 6 pounds now.

He used to be 4.7 but as he got older he gained, he is a healthy weight so I don't know where he put it all (some could be water weight from his meds).

People are strange. A lot of people also say, "Oh he is so cute for a chihuahua. They're usually ugly." How could anyone think such little angels were ugly, I will never know.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I get that a lot with Mickey, too and he's around 6 pounds! Now with tiny Piper, it's all the time. Even ones that know "teacup" doesn't really mean anything. LOL

·
Registered
479 Posts
I took Corona to an event today at a local park. Pet-a-palooza. Vendors, music, beer garden, obstical course. I saw a few dogs smaller than Corona, but not many. I found it amusing how many teacup comments I received. Either asking me or just in passing, the "oh look it's a teacup". Also a couple of the people with the smaller dogs, themselves telling me they had a pure bred teacup. One a chi and another a Pom. I just smile and nod and if asked say I'm not really sure of her breed, she is a rescue! I guess I could say "yeah! She is a teacup rescue!"lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think my breeder has lied to me and we're hoping to get some money back because she told me Tia was a toy chihuahua
---> this is true, all chihuahuas are in the "toy class" according to AKC
meaning she's smaller than usual and won't grow to be over probably about 3 1/2 lbs. She does have a small body structure,
---> but the breeder made us pay $1200 for her.
---> Breeder didn't make you pay, you chose to pay this price for this dog.
---> She told me I could show her if I wanted. My breeder said that she has Tia's dad but went to another breeder for the mother and bought her for breeding but realized she was too small... Well I didn't think about it at the time, but if she's too small to breed how can I show her?
---> Breeding isn't required for a show dog. There are plenty of people that compete just for fun with dogs they never breed.
---> And when I took her to the vets he mentioned the large hyrnia she had from her cord and that when I get her fixed we could remove it. He also said you can't show chihuahuas with one of those....
---> True, and hopefully you were able to have the breeder refund the additional $200 it normally costs to repair at the time you have her fixed.

---> The breeder never mentioned to me the bump at all! She told me she was 2 lbs, I looked at the vet check papers when I got home and it says she was 3 lbs in november (I got her December 19). The breeder said she was 4 months and i think that's wrong but I'm not sure. She was born on August 8.
---> Have you actually spoken to the breeder? They are human too and she could have accidentally handed you the wrong papers. As for the hernia, the breeder should have mentioned it and offered to pay whatever additional charge from the vet to repair it.

---> So I think maybe I should get my mom to call her or send her an email. I'm worried. And her being 4 months (so the breeder says) for $1200? You'de pay that for a new puppy only a few weeks old!
---> $1200 isn't an outrageous price for slightly older puppy. I haven't paid less than $2200, even for my Luna that was 8mo old when I brought her home.
---> EDIT:I held her on my scale and it says she's 2 1/2 pounds. It's a good scale, we got it sometime last year. So maybe they said 3 lbs on the paper as just to round it off because it had little digits behind the 2 1/2. Who knows
---> Scales can be off. The vet's scale is the most accurate and you should check with the weight recorded when you took her in for her first vet check, just days after getting her.

In the end, it doesn't sound like you picked the highest quality breeder (a good one would NOT have sold full papers on a dog too small to breed and no experience or interest in the show ring) but these are all great things to think about BEFORE you hand over any money.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Thanks for that informative post Ozzysmom....I have a feeling my little one is going to quite small.
:lol:
There are some charts online that estimate size based on weight of puppy and age. If your pup weights 2 lb. at 4 months (if I understood correctly) he/she will probably not end up as a smaller chi. She still has some growing to do. More of the average size range. Of course, most chis are tiny little dogs and we love them all. Enjoy and don't worry too much about size!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Yes! After while you just smile and nod. One of ours is only 2 1/2 lb. She was a stray. I just say she's a tiny chihuahua and keep smiling. A funny story. I was walking my 5 1/2 lb. guy in PetSmart and a man said to his wife, "That's the smallest dog I've ever seen." I said "No, it's not. This is." And pointed out my little ones head sticking out of my jacket pocket. We all got a good laugh.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts