Chihuahua People Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
oh ok i keep forget there are people out there that are just trying to make easy money which is sad as it shows if you word the sale of a pup right there is always someone gulliable enouhg to believe it.. and as far as byb's are concerned i think i am one as i only breed to inlarge our family, because here in aus the breeders desex all dogs before sale and charge prices a lot of chi lovers can't afford.

·
Registered
29 Posts
because here in aus the breeders desex all dogs before sale and charge prices a lot of chi lovers can't afford.
Lordy ... so they only sell when their pups are about 6 months old (cos u can't de sex much earlier)? Imagine doing that with large breeds that have big litters ... they'd eat u out of house and home. If I kept pups from a litter that long, I'd bond with them and never sell them lol.

·
Registered
688 Posts
great post, i cant count the amount of times people would ask me is your dog a teacup...lord i have seen so many sellers on craigslist post them as micro tea cups...i think they will say anything 2 sell. Love your post!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for resurrecting this thread...I'd not seen it before!

I can only say that it p's me off as well when people ask me if LeStat is a 'teacup chihauhau, considering he's not even a pure chi, simply because he's so small. Much the same as whe people call him a jakahauhau....for gods sake he's a very small chihauhau x jack russell terrier not a 'teacup' anything or a jakahauhau either!

I agree with one or two posts, I've not read all the way through yet, saying how delicate they can be as well. Also how scary it is to realise how small your pup is going to be, he's around 2lbs 8ozs-2lbs 15ozs depending on his eating habits, he lives with a rottweiller and two other dog who are both bigger than him although still in the 'toy' bracket.
We have to prevent ay playing with LeStat just in case they get too rough....we even have to stop the damned cats playing with him as they have sent him reeling across the floor before now! It looks hilarious but we're frightened he could get hurt.
We expected him to be around 10lbs, adult weight, when I bought him for my daugher so him being so small came as a big surprise and in fact scared my daughter so much she actually asked us to have him back when he was a year old!

I'd never choose to have such a small dog again, I didn't choose to have him be so small, it gets me down how some breeders exploit the poor things.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thanks for resurrecting this thread...I'd not seen it before!

I can only say that it p's me off as well when people ask me if LeStat is a 'teacup chihauhau, considering he's not even a pure chi, simply because he's so small. Much the same as whe people call him a jakahauhau....for gods sake he's a very small chihauhau x jack russell terrier not a 'teacup' anything or a jakahauhau either!

I agree with one or two posts, I've not read all the way through yet, saying how delicate they can be as well. Also how scary it is to realise how small your pup is going to be, he's around 2lbs 8ozs-2lbs 15ozs depending on his eating habits, he lives with a rottweiller and two other dog who are both bigger than him although still in the 'toy' bracket.
We have to prevent ay playing with LeStat just in case they get too rough....we even have to stop the damned cats playing with him as they have sent him reeling across the floor before now! It looks hilarious but we're frightened he could get hurt.
We expected him to be around 10lbs, adult weight, when I bought him for my daugher so him being so small came as a big surprise and in fact scared my daughter so much she actually asked us to have him back when he was a year old!

I'd never choose to have such a small dog again, I didn't choose to have him be so small, it gets me down how some breeders exploit the poor things.
Hmm, my Twiggy is 2 pounds, 14 oz and she gets around on three legs and she plays with any other dog she likes. Right now she plays with Delilah, a little under 6 pounds and Babushka, the puppy and Billy, 6 pounds. She even plays tug-a-war with Marmalade and Isis, 13 and 18 pounds respectively, and holds her own. They are tougher than you think. :) She lets them know if they are getting too much, she is the diva of the pack. She even tries to keep up with all of them when they are outside doing zoomies. She doesn't like the lab/pit mix much, so she doesn't play with him, but she does bark at him as he leaves the dog room. She is fearless.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hmm, my Twiggy is 2 pounds, 14 oz and she is gets around on three legs and she plays with any other dog she likes. Right now she plays with Delilah, a little under 6 pounds and Babushka, the puppy and Billy, 6 pounds. She even plays tug-a-war with Marmalade and Isis, 13 and 18 pounds respectively, and holds her own. They are tougher than you think. :) She lets them know if they are getting too much, she is the diva of the pack. She even tries to keep up with all of them when they are outside doing zoomies. She doesn't like the lab/pit mix much, so she doesn't play with him, but she does bark at him as he leaves the dog room. She is fearless.
I agree Pam my Holly is still under a pound but she holds her ground to my 12 lb chi and my 13 and 15 pound cats lol..

·
Registered
236 Posts
LeStat will 'hold his ground' but we are worried that the bigger dogs will hurt him when they play roughly among themselves.

If they play 'just' with LeStat it's not so bad but we don't allow more than one to have a playtime with him at any one time and we do make sure it doesn't get too rough.
I think as we have never had such a small dog before, even though I've owned, rescued and cared for dogs for well over 30 years, we worry about him being hurt and would rather prevent it than cope with the aftermath.
None of my other dogs would purposefully hurt him but they run around like loonies at times and a 9 stone rottweiller running down the stairs chasing a jrt could easily kill LeStat if he fell over him! The jrt is sturdy enough to cope with the rottie but I doubt LeStat is!
Saxon, the rottie, will lay down and allow LeStat to play with his head or chew on his ears, he even pulls at his jowls, we don't allow him to 'play' with him as such though.
They go in the garden together, supervised, to do their toileting but again they don't run around or jump about.

We're probably being too protective but it's taken so long to stop worrying about him not eating I think it's going to take a good bit longer to let them play together.
We even worry when the cats do get to play with him because they bowl him across the floor!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I get so tired of ppl telling storys of their mom's teacup or their grandma standard size. I want to pull out my hair when they look at me like I'm so dumb for not knowing about the different types of chi's. I think I will Photo copy your post and hand it out to ppl.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It worked. I am really tired of boutique breeds and breeders. All these "oodle" dogs . . . and teacups for runts. Oh, I think little Chis are adorable, too, but bad breeders hold them up as something special when they're just little, little tykes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It worked. I am really tired of boutique breeds and breeders. All these "oodle" dogs . . . and teacups for runts. Oh, I think little Chis are adorable, too, but bad breeders hold them up as something special when they're just little, little tykes.
Usually with some sort of issues as well!

Be it temperament or eating there's usually something that 'makes' them so small!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the following statement on my website
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO SUCH BREED AS A TEACUP CHIHUAHUA IT IS WHAT IS OFTEN REFERRED TO AS A CHIHUAHUA UNDER 5LBS IN WEIGHT WHEN FULLY GROWN.

TEACUP CHIHUAHUAS IS A TERM OFTEN SEARCHED FOR ON THE INTERNET WHEN PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN SMALL CHIHUAHUAS.

THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF CHIHUAHUAS LONG COAT AND SHORT COAT. I AM A KENNEL CLUB ACCREDITED BREEDER OF LONG COAT CHIHUAHUAS

Yet I still get people phoning up enquiring about a TeaCup Chihuhua.
I use the terms "teacup and Chiwawa" simply because 30% of my website traffic comes from people putting these two phrases in the search engine box especially google and it increases Webpage optimisation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Awesome information. Our breeder brought it to our attention that there isn't technically a "teacup chihuahua" and that any full blooded chihuahua that is under 6lbs fully grown is simply an akc standard chihuahua. lol Although I can't count the number of times I've had to explain that to people since then.

·
Registered
483 Posts
someone asked me the other day if roxi was a tea cup chihuahua i said no theres no such thing. and they all seem to think im lying. but good post :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am SO glad that i'm not the only one who gets irritated when people ask if Cuervo is a teacup. It infuriates me especially when I explain that there's no such thing and people swear that someone they know had a "teacup" chihuahua.....no you just had a greedy, uneducated breeder!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ask them which orifice they would like to drink their tea from......when I said that the girl soon stopped asking if LeStat was a teacup.

I felt really bad though once I'd said it! Her chi weighs 7.5kgs and she thinks he's 'tiny'.

Mind you the groomer today asked me if the peke I rescued, Simon, was a 'sleeve peke' I've never heard that one before either! I didn't have an answer for that one other than 'A what?'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I am new on this site and just replying to the above topic.. i actually do have two teacup chihuahuas... they are quite small my female is nearly a yr old and is only about 1kg and my male teacup is nearly 2yrs and he's only 1.5kg..

Just wanted to find out about breeding chihuahuas and all the information you need to know.. i have picked up a lot of information about breeding chihuahuas and am wise on what can go wrong...
I love chihuahua and would love to experience the breeding process..
What does everybody think about breeding etc... if you could point out a couple of important steps that i would need to know..
i do also know that the female would have to be bigger than the male as to carry the litter properly without struggling..

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't breed from either of those as they seem too small to be used for breeding. You could well lose your bitch. There have been two chi bitches lost due to giving birth in the last wee or two and they were both a lot bigger than your two.
Just because our two are small does not mean they will have small pups...they are guaranteed to have bigger dogs in their ancestry and a 'throw-back' pup, one that is of normal size, could very well kill your bitch.
My LeSats mother was 9lbs, she was rt, his father was a 5lb chi but as I say he's only ust under 3lbs now at two years old. If he was used on a very small bitch she could well have huge puppies that she would not be able to give birth to.....it's just not worht the risk in my opinion.
If you wanted to breed you should really have found some chi's that were going to be to standard than buying 'very small' chis.

By the way you have two 'very small' chis not two teacups....that's almost a full tea set...lol...sorry just had to say that.

My male chi x is under 1.5kg and he's over 2 now but he's not a teacup he's just 'very small'.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts