Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think made teacup chis so popular?
I know,I know "teacups" do not exist but their always advertised and people who dont no much about chihuahuas always say teacup.

But for instance my 5 pound chi, someone once thought was a cross because its "big" I was wondering why do you think people assume they are all tiny tiny :S what made it so fashionable to be super small?

In the media for example "legally blonde's" bruiser isnt tiny and in beverlly hills chihuahua they arnt tiny, So I just dont understand why people assume their small and a 5 pound chi would be big when that looks how big bruiser is in Legally blonde,And papi would be much bigger!

The only chi I can think of that is small is Tinkerbell "paris hilton" but even she grew up be bigger at 4 pounds" It seems people who havent seen chis expect 2/3 pound tiny things or want them and thats why breeders online advertise as teacups and ask for silly amounts of money,but the question is why!The media shows more normal chis than 2/3 pound ones and I have seen way more big ones than I have small,so whats the deal??

Always been curious about were the term "teacup" came from?

Also does anyone know how big the chihuahua who plays bruiser is ?and how old was he in legally blonde? If not,no worries I'll google lol
Matt x

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I don't know but seems like a lot of people "guess" at weights based on looks. I had someone tell me this past weekend that no way did Mari & Maxie look to be 4.5lbs...they were way too small! Mari is actually 5lbs atm as she's still shedding a bit of puppy weight. I don't think the "teacup" size is as commonly thought of when speaking of Chi's as it once was. Maybe it's just my area I dunno...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say Mari & Maxie are shedding their puppy weight,what age are they? Its just Bruiser is 8 months old and im sure he is smaller now than he was a few months back lol he might just be thinner :S

And around here you dont really see chihuahuas but people still refer to them as teacups which drives me mad!But its more online like pets4homes and other sites advertising dogs,lots are advertised still as teaups :(

And thanks zoeys mum I'll check the thread out! xx

·
Registered
70 Posts
My take on “teacup” Chi’s is that somewhere along the way someone started using the term just to describe size only. I think people put way to much emphasis on the word, personally. If you own a Chi, most likely at some point you will find out that “teacup” isn’t a proper term. But people and breeders will probably always use it. I think the only time I would say that the term bothers me is when breeders use it as a way to make more money off their pups. Because 99.99% of the so called teacups are 5 lb. Chi’s. Breeders know that Chi’s under that weight full grown are very few and far between, and that Chi’s over 5 lbs. are very very common. So they can sell you a Chi that will end up a 5 lb. grown Chi and make some serious cash. They know once the pup is grown that you won’t likely be disappointed in the size of a 5 lber., because a 5 lber. is very small, and will be smaller than the average Chi these days. 2 to 3 lb. full grown Chi’s are very rare. Some will tell you that this isn’t true, but that’s where I add that you just have to do your own research. Breeders aren’t really breeding 3 lb. Moms, and 2 lb. Dad’s. You won’t find many even breeding 4 lb. Mom’s unless they are risk takers and don’t care about the Mom. Most use 5 to 6 lb. Mom’s, and even bigger. A 2 lb. male can’t even likely mount, and probably not even developed enough to produce a pup. My 2 lb., 2 year old female has had one heat cycle, and it was barely noticeable. My other females hardly ever cycle either. Anyway, you just have to take all the “weight, size, teacup” stuff with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think the appeal of the "teacup" chihuahua is that they kind of always look like little puppies, never seem to grow up.

Personally while I think they are all gorgeous I do prefer my chi's a bit bigger as I have young kids, if I had a tiny one I would be worried about them stepping on it & hurting it. My MIL has 2 tiny chi's (not sure on weights) and they are actually petrified of kids, it seems to be an instinct to stay away from them & not be hurt IYKWIM>

Teacups are always advertised here too

·
Registered
70 Posts
My MIL has 2 tiny chi's (not sure on weights) and they are actually petrified of kids, it seems to be an instinct to stay away from them & not be hurt IYKWIM>
All of my Wee's adore kids! My smallest is the most fond of them. She stays right at our heels constantly. So I think it depends on the pup. : )

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm some very intresting posts!:)
They really annoy me when they advertise as a teacup and say it will be 2 pounds grown its like how do you no that!The breeder I got bruiser from whos a friend once bred and kept this pup and it grew to be only 3 pounds and then another time using the same parents she bred and all the pups ended up being 5/6 pounds.

Also dont you think celebs should know their are no teacups lol Paris Hilton always refers to tink as a teacup lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmm some very intresting posts!:)
They really annoy me when they advertise as a teacup and say it will be 2 pounds grown its like how do you no that!The breeder I got bruiser from whos a friend once bred and kept this pup and it grew to be only 3 pounds and then another time using the same parents she bred and all the pups ended up being 5/6 pounds.

Also dont you think celebs should know their are no teacups lol Paris Hilton always refers to tink as a teacup lol
They don't really know how big they'll get until the pup is well over 16 weeks old. At that point if they are still small, chances are highly likely they'll stay small. But what is small to one, might be big to one, or tiny to one. I see pups that people refer to as tiny, that look big to me. And pups that people never comment on their size being smaller than average that look very small to me. It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Tinkerbell is what people refer to as a "teacup." She weighs just over 4 lbs. That is VERY small. Much smaller than average. PH probably uses the term just referring to size, maybe not saying it's a different breed of Chi. Of course I don't personally know her, so I can't say for sure. ; )

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Mine are not teeny tiny but Yoshi is around 3 1/2 lbs and Chibi is closer to 3lbs and Chibi loves children and Yoshi is not so fond of them. I definitely think it depends on the dog. I have seen some of the more tiny Chi's really afraid of nothing. The one's in the ring always do well when they have this attitude ;-)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You say Mari & Maxie are shedding their puppy weight,what age are they? Its just Bruiser is 8 months old and im sure he is smaller now than he was a few months back lol he might just be thinner :S
Maribelle is...she just had a litter of puppies just about 8 weeks ago. :) But saying that...depending on how the particular pup develops...they can seem to be smaller when they mature compared to when they are 4-6months. Marley was one that seemed he'd be an 8+lb adult (5.5lbs at 5mo) but he's 1 1/2 & 6lbs. So I get what you're saying... :)

And for the record...I care a great deal for Mari. ;) There is no "magic number" when it comes to weight & how breeders choose their bitches. It more has to do with the structure & pelvis size. As well as the genetics behind both the bitch & stud.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry got interrupted by the door when doing my last post & I didn't get to finish.

I didn't mean that all Wees (I like that term :) ) are afraid of kids, I just meant it seemed that way with MIL's. It is my personal preference not to have little ones cause I would be paranoid about my son hurting them more than anything as he has developmental delays & is not very gentle at times.

It's funny the ones you see advertised as "Teacup". There is one little 8 week old on our trading post website today being advertised as this & it actually looks the same size as my Yogi who is nearing 18 weeks & will be a lot bigger than the wees when fully grown.

Sometimes I wonder if people advertise them as Teacup because they are selling them much younger than they should be and don't want people to catch on...... I really don't think you can judge size at such a young age either, our Tinkerbell (my daughters named her, I promise it was not after PH's lol) was tiny & stocky when we got her but is quite a big girl now (4.4kg , I think that's about 9-10lb) & is more the shape of a whippet or italian greyhound!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry got interrupted by the door when doing my last post & I didn't get to finish.

I didn't mean that all Wees (I like that term :) ) are afraid of kids, I just meant it seemed that way with MIL's. It is my personal preference not to have little ones cause I would be paranoid about my son hurting them more than anything as he has developmental delays & is not very gentle at times.

It's funny the ones you see advertised as "Teacup". There is one little 8 week old on our trading post website today being advertised as this & it actually looks the same size as my Yogi who is nearing 18 weeks & will be a lot bigger than the wees when fully grown.

Sometimes I wonder if people advertise them as Teacup because they are selling them much younger than they should be and don't want people to catch on...... I really don't think you can judge size at such a young age either, our Tinkerbell (my daughters named her, I promise it was not after PH's lol) was tiny & stocky when we got her but is quite a big girl now (4.4kg , I think that's about 9-10lb) & is more the shape of a whippet or italian greyhound!
Yeah, you really have to watch those ads. Like I mentioned, breeders advertise "teacups" that will be no where near teacup size. You just really have to educate yourself not to be taken these days. As long as they can get away with it, they will continue. Mighty dollar speaks much louder than honesty. :lol:

Judging size/weight at a young age is similar to finding a needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think my scales are wrong lol I weighed my self and the picked them up and subtracted by weight but it saidd they were both exactly 5 and half lb:S Seems unlikely they would be exact same lol when bambi is smaller but fatter and bruiser is taller but thinner!

Just found this taken in dec its the dog who played bruiser :) He must be gettin old now,but still looks adorable :)
how big wouldd you guys say he is?

And yes I think alot of the people are advertising the pups as teacups when they are really young!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure how tall or what Reese weighs. But here I am holding Chance, he weighs 5 lbs. I'm 5'2.5" tall, and I weigh about 105 lbs.

So my guess to the pup Reese is holding is 7 to 8 lbs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love chance's jumper-pink :) very cute.
And I didnt realise he was so big,in the films he looks tiny doesnt he but either way hes cute size really doesnt mattter they look cute either way:)

I'm actually goin to see legally blonde the musical in london at the end of the month so very excited and will hope to get a tshirt with bruiser on :) ! x

·
Registered
70 Posts
Love chance's jumper-pink :) very cute.
And I didnt realise he was so big,in the films he looks tiny doesnt he but either way hes cute size really doesnt mattter they look cute either way:)

I'm actually goin to see legally blonde the musical in london at the end of the month so very excited and will hope to get a tshirt with bruiser on :) ! x
He was modeling an outfit that would only fit him. None of the girls could wear it (too big). :lol: Chance is as tiny (tinier actually) as he appears in pics. That's why I always say, "5 lbs. is NOT big!" My 5 lb. boy is no bigger than most everyone's 3 lbers.

And yes, I agree. Their size doesn't matter. I could tell you all of mines weights, and you'd never believe it according to their sizes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is Gia. Itty bitty girl. She weighs 3.5 lbs. No one guesses her over 2 lbs.!

My daughter is 5 foot tall. She weighs about 100 lbs.

My Dad holding her.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I am not quite sure where this whole "you don't care about your bitch if you breed her and she's 4 lbs" comes from, but I have seen and heard it many many places from people who don't breed, yet, I know many breeders that do so safely and successfully. Size is one of the smallest factors of whether or not a bitch is breeding quality. Leah probably will be LUCKY to hit 4 lbs, but her pelvis is like a bucket, and as long as she's healthy and passes her health tests, it is likely I will breed her. Even though Asia will be bigger than she is, Asia has a smaller pelvis and will be much more likely between the two to need a c-section if both are bred. So what if she's bigger...bigger isn't always better when it comes to breeding :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts