Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jojo and Buddy Bear have "heavy/thick" tear stains I use eye/ear wipes. But just seems like I'm always seeing them with tear stains. Other than just using wipes what else could I possibly do? Do any of your Chi's get thick tear stains?
Occasionally I use an eye wash but that doesn't seem to help much.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Chihuahuas in general have kind of bulging eyes, which can cause them to get irritated easily and tear. Them being so low to the ground adds to the issue. Some dogs are more prone to it than others. My last dog was a pug/Jack Russell mix, and he always had goop in the corner of his eyes. My Chihuahua, Gobo, doesn't seem to have the issue as much, maybe because his hair is so short and smooth and the goo doesn't stick. Either way, if it isn't anything new, it probably isn't anything to worry about!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That definitely makes sense. But I just feel lately Jojo has been getting more than usual. I will just stick to eye wash and wipes.
I read the bottle of the eye wash and it says it can help with tear stains. I wonder if I did it more often I'd notice a bit of a difference. I use the eye wash like once or twice a month.
I originally bought because Jojo had a bit of redness, most likely because he was out and it was windy, so dirt. And it made his eye 100% better.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Some people with dogs like Maltese use eye wash daily, so for your pups once a week might be reasonable. The Maltese people sometimes use contact solution too, and that might be cheaper if you use quite a bit.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I just use a kleenex tissue to wipe away the goop in the corner of the eye. Zarita hates my doing that, but the others don't mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jojo and Buddy Bear have "heavy/thick" tear stains I use eye/ear wipes. But just seems like I'm always seeing them with tear stains. Other than just using wipes what else could I possibly do? Do any of your Chi's get thick tear stains?
Occasionally I use an eye wash but that doesn't seem to help much.
My Chi boy, Louis, gets heavy tear stains and I remembered my mom telling me about a powder to mix in their food called Angel Eyes. I purchased some at PetSmart (kinda pricey) and he wouldn't eat his food if this was sprinkled on it. Not one to give up easily, I mixed it with plain nonfat yogurt, keep it in a plastic bowl w/ lid in fridge. At meal time I give him his regular dry food with a small tsp. of yogurt mix and he loves it. I love it too because his tear stains have improved greatly! Hope this helps.🙂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts