Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m so torn as what to do about having my chi tooth cleaning because it’s so dangerous for him to be sedated, he will not let anyone into his mouth to do this,also have heard many stories about doing it at the Mobil that does it with no sedation also so very expensive..advise please..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Why do you say "its so dangerous for him to be sedated?" I have had my 4 pound chihuahua's teeth cleaned and she has a collapsed trachea and a severe overbite. She came through just fine. The cleaning cannot be done accurately with no sedation, and it would be extremely uncomfortable for him. There are 'doggy dentists' if you live near a multi specialty clinic. My chi was found to have impacted 'fangs' on the bottom when we had x-rays taken. Nothing to do---one fang is almost against the jaw bone, having gone down, instead of going up! Vet never seen that before in an x-ray!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply I’m going to see how expensive this is, we’re seniors and I know it’s very expensive but has to be done...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I feel your pain. I, too, am a senior, and have limited funds. My vet, whom I've known for years, lets me pay installments. I put some down and pay off the rest. Would your vet let you do this? I must say I have known this vet for 17 years, so we trust each other! Maybe put down so much for several months before the actual dental, and then you would not need that much at the actual dental?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just adopted an 8 year old Chihuahua.
For reference, he had sixteen teeth extracted right after I adopted him. It cost $850, and it was worth every penny. His quality of life has seriously improved. He’s eating everything I give him. He’s now chewing on hooves and even eating raw chicken wings.
My vet let me put down a down payment and pay 25% each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies to my questions I am going to figure a way to get this done as I think it’s really important for his health...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I made a appointment to get my chi Jax to have his teeth cleaned and I’m very nervous about the whole thing he also has to have his rabies shot which I also was so nervous to have done after reading so many negatives, it’s so hard for me to take my precious 4.5 lb rescue in fear of what could happen and just knowing how very hyper he is and so scared he is, I’m finding the whole procedure causes me much apprehension as he’s so small and the thoughts of anything happening to him would be devastating for me as I’m 76...I know the right thing for him is to have all this done so hope alls ok...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Please don't have the rabies done along with the dental. Have them done separately. If they won't do the dental without the rabies, postpone the dental for a week and give the rabies shot first. Probably nothing would happen, but for a tiny dog, I'd do them separately. The other thing you could do is to give the rabies after the dental, when he has woken up. Not while he is under the anesthesia though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The way this vet does the dental I bring Jax in the day before the cleaning where he gets exam and rabie booster then next day he goes back and has procedure done are you saying wait a week before cleaning after rabie shot?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
That would be ideal, just in case he gets a reaction, he'd hopefully be OK in time for the dental. If the vet doesn't want to do it that way, it would be OK. I just think that giving a little dog a vaccination just before general anesthetic is a little much. JMO!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The way this vet does the dental I bring Jax in the day before the cleaning where he gets exam and rabie booster then next day he goes back and has procedure done are you saying wait a week before cleaning after rabie shot?

Ok I have finally decided my Jax has to have his teeth cleaned and rabies, which will be given a week before having his cleaning.. I have a really deep fear that something might happen during all this procedure, he is the light of my life and worrying is my nature unfortunately..for his good it really has to be done...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Good for you! I know how easy it is for owners to worry themselves sick over anesthesia. However, saying that, anesthesia is so much better now a days than it was 10 years ago----. Gas inhalant anesthesia is easily reversed. Ask them to have IV access during the actual procedure. They can put in the IV after the induction of the gas. That way IF something goes wrong, they will already have access to a vein. I think everything will go smoothly. When is the date?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good for you! I know how easy it is for owners to worry themselves sick over anesthesia. However, saying that, anesthesia is so much better now a days than it was 10 years ago----. Gas inhalant anesthesia is easily reversed. Ask them to have IV access during the actual procedure. They can put in the IV after the induction of the gas. That way IF something goes wrong, they will already have access to a vein. I think everything will go smoothly. When is the date?

Tomorrow morning exam and lab work and shot, from there I can schedule..
So nervous but it must be done..
Will let you know how we come out...

Ok today we went to the pre-op visit for his rabies booster and blood work and exam went really well they take blood from his vugular vein and all went well after his blood work comes back he will go for the cleaning on Valentine’s Day, I feel much more confident now and the price was great because a grand opening of a new vet in our community...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Good! He may feel 'not him self' tomorrow from the shot, and then again he may show no signs at all from it! I'm so glad of the 'grand opening' price!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amazing no after effects at all so far, think my little guy is much tougher than I thought...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Great!! Many chihuahuas are related to lions, I think sometimes!!! They fool us all the time. Then of course there are chi's that react like real babies. I had a little chi girl that cried like a baby when given shots! I lived in an apartment, and everyone heard her when she had her first BM after being spayed!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great!! Many chihuahuas are related to lions, I think sometimes!!! They fool us all the time. Then of course there are chi's that react like real babies. I had a little chi girl that cried like a baby when given shots! I lived in an apartment, and everyone heard her when she had her first BM after being spayed!!!

Blood work came back normal so ready for cleaning next Wednesday...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today my Jax is going for his cleaning, nervous, be so glad when he's home and it's over..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts