Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I have bought different tooth brushes and paste in an effort to clean my girl's teeth. It just does not seem to work. They freak out when I try to do it and it just does not seem to get off what I want it to get off. I was giving them dental treats but Bailey has stomach issues and can not have anything but her food now. I have found two possible options and was wondering what everyone thought. First is dental pads from Drs foster and smith. I thought these would be good because you are actually wiping the teeth. Second is petzlife gel, I have heard others say they use this product for their dogs. Any advice would really be appreciated. Also, I got a quote from the vet saying a dental will cost $500- $700 is this normal pricing?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I only paid $125 my Midgie's dental. I have the doggy toothpaste with the finger brush. She doesn't like it either & I don't do it as often as I should. I wouldn't do a dental unless they are in real need of it as they have to be sedated & that's risky.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Also, I got a quote from the vet saying a dental will cost $500- $700 is this normal pricing?
That's high. They are generally in the 200.00/300.00 range.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried toothbrushes and the finger thing. I thought $500 was a bit expensive and that is just for a cleaning, an extraction would cost about $700 or more. When I had them spayed, it was $400 each, I would think a dental would be less than a spay. Bailey and Pinky have good teeth, nice and clean but Oreo has issues and is probably going to need to have a dental soon.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Huh, I was quoted $40 for a dental for Twiggy if I did it with her spay, $181 all together for both, a little more for the one tooth extraction.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That's one high priced vet, I think I paid $140.00 for Paco's nueter and that included 2 tooth extractions, and they charge between $200 and $300 for a cleaning.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have tried toothbrushes and the finger thing. I thought $500 was a bit expensive and that is just for a cleaning, an extraction would cost about $700 or more. When I had them spayed, it was $400 each, I would think a dental would be less than a spay. Bailey and Pinky have good teeth, nice and clean but Oreo has issues and is probably going to need to have a dental soon.
Girl what vet are you going to?!

$400 for a spay is insane! I paid $90 for my female, and $85 for my male and it would have only been about $30 more if I did the full blood panel.

I'm not saying they aren't worth the care and the money, but perhaps you should quote around with reputable vets if it comes to having to get a dental because as has been said a dental is usually 200-300 ish.

I use tropiclean foam and if I use it everyday it keeps them fresh. Neither of mine have real bad tartar, but it's a good maintenance product. I did see good reviews for the petzlife when I was researching though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took me awhile to find a vet I actually like lol. I think NJ just has high prices for everything. When I had asked around, spays were $300 and up(one vet wanted $700 each). When I got the dental quote I was shocked, I expected it would be between $300-$400 but never $700. I have been looking at the petzlife and was going to order the gel from Amazon but after reading comments of people's dogs getting sick and it containing alcohol, I am debating what to do.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I have heard wonderful things about the Petzlife. I plan on using it myself

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Wow! That sounds like a ridiculously high price for a dental! I just got Jazz's dental done earlier in the week, and the total cost was $220.00. That did include a 20% discount as it's dental health month, but also included two extractions of retained baby teeth. Tango's dental was slightly more than that (without the discount when I got his done) though he had a couple of extractions too, but regardless they were both under $300.

If you haven't, I'd urge you to check around and make sure you aren't being ripped off. NJ prices could just be high, period, but I'd make CERTAIN it was that, and not just one Vet out to make a huge profit!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not checked around but think I will call some vets on Monday and see what the going price is. If I get Oreo's dental done next month, I will get a 10 percent discount. I am also going to call my vet and see if they give me a different price. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have heard wonderful things about the Petzlife. I plan on using it myself
I use petzlife and this foster rescue i volunteer at uses it and i've seen some Great results. it really works and i find it so much less invasive then gagging my puppies ;) I also use it more since its less of a battle. i'd look into it!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
That price for a dental sounds about right up here. That is about what I found as well. Yes, these prices are much high that many other regions . I like the pets life, I use the spray but also brush.

I have found that if I do the dental stuff up on the counter or the sink, he doesn't like it, but doesn't make much drama because he is up high. I once tried to so some tooth cleaning on a chair and I got injured with all the drama !!

I always go to the bathroom sink now. Rico has an Oral-B electric toothbrush with the head bristles trimmed down. It is very good at getting the insides of his molars, etc. I use petz life on the toothbrush. I also have some pet toothpaste. It isn't his favourite thing to do but he tolerates it okay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts