Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! Juliet (6 months) has recently begun shedding her puppy teeth. The poor little thing has one tooth on the bottom between her canines and two on the top. She has also lost a lot of her molars (I think that's the correct term) within the last two weeks. No big deal (but the front teeth or lack thereof is kind of funny to look at!!)

The problem?? Her bottom canines. The permanent ones are coming in sharklike inside of the baby ones, which don't seem to be loose (they might be the slightest bit wiggly but not much.) Do I give them a couple of more weeks to loosen up and fall out or do I need to take her to the vet for a look-see? She was spayed at the end of last month to avoid going into heat but she had no loose teeth or newly emerging teeth at that point.

If I can avoid heading to the vet, I would like to (bc the human kids need dental work before the dog does but I will if I have to...) Anyway, just hoping someone has some wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Benny 5 months has lost 3 of his canines. And most of his other teeth that are in now are his permanent ones. He chews a lot on bully sticks which I think helps loosen them. If they haven't come out by the time she gets spayed, they will remove them at that time. I wouldn't have her put under twice, I would just wait and see.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
teeth

Hi. I have 2 chi's and both of them needed their baby teeth pulled. I waited until a year to finally have them pulled. Some came out on their own with some big bones to chew, but the others had to be pulled. They were both spayed at 6 months, and the puppy teeth were the only ones there! Slow teethers I think! Sue

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The princess has finally decided to chew on the elk antler I got her (thanks Karen for all the advice on how to get her to like it.) so hopefully that will help loosen up the canines. I don't want to have to put her under again (even though the vet said she did beautifully, it still scares the heck out of me, not to mention the expense!!). Most every other tooth is falling out left and right. I mean, she seriously could star in the dentasticks commercial where the dogs have doggie dentures! I guess I will just wait and see if the two problem teeth (that I know of) will cooperate and fall out naturally. If I could have waited a month on the spay, they could have been handled at the same time but I really, really didn't want her to go into heat and she was on the verge of it. I guess timing is everything, huh?

Thanks so much.

Amy

ps - Mary, Bennie is stinking adorable. I want a light colored one next!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thank you Amy :) that was so sweet! Here is a pic I took of him earlier chewing on his bully stick! Keeping fingers crosses he gets that last canine out today!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could eat him up!! He is like the color opposite of Juliet. How much does he weigh? They have the same big ears but I think Jujube's legs are twice his size. She went through all her bully bones and when I figured out what they were made from, I switched to antlers (not that there is anything wrong with them, but since she is a kisser big time, I couldn't stomach the idea of her chewing on that and then kissing me.) Hopefully the antler will wiggle those suckers right out.

Oh, and sorry I misspelled his name. Short attention span theater at its best here!!
:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
LOL, took me a while to wrap my mind around my pups eating them... But, finally took the plunge. Benny and Jilly my Maltese loves them. Jack my yorkie, won't touch 'em, heheheh. Thanks again on the compliments :) last time I weighed him, he was slightly over 4 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts