Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if baby teeth are still there? Baxter is biting everything he can. He's 6 months old and destroying our house with his chewing. He has every kind of bone available but furniture tastes better. I have never seen any baby teeth laying around so I have no clue by looking in his mouth. His latest adventure is chewing corners of the wall to wall carpeting.Help!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
puppies that lose their baby teeth will commonly swallow them before you ever see them fall out... it's possible he's losing teeth or teething in general. I watched Cooper like a hawk and managed to grab up every one of his but it was difficult! :lol:

You might try getting a teething ring for a baby or now they make teething bones for dogs that you freeze and see if that keeps him from chewing on your couch. Also, if you need something in a pinch, get a sock or a small rope toy, get it damp and stick it in the freezer ... see if he'll chew on that instead.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
mann i'm haveing the same issue with jemini! she is a chewing machine!
i have 15 million rope toys in here ,raw hides etc. and she still chews on things i don't want her too :x

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think if you actually look inside his mouth you will be able to see if all of the baby teeth are gone. The very last ones to go are the canines (the vampire teeth). Sometimes the baby tooth and the adult tooth will both be there. I had this happen with one of my dogs and the vet wanted me to wait another week before we would go ahead and have them removed. Well, the pup was playing tug-o-war with my terrier and she managed to give a couple of good jerks on the toy they were playing with and popped out the remaining baby teeth :lol: . We thanked her profusely for saving poor Casey a surgery and saving us some bucks!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Filmore is 15 months old and still has one "vampire" baby tooth and the vet said not to worry unless it causes a problem...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nicole,

I would find another vet. Seriously. Look up "retained baby teeth" in puppies on the 'net and you will find out what can happen. And when a problem happens because of this, it's not always readily fixable. I'll go look for some links for you.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i never noticed mine chewing a lot when they were teething....probably because they are always chewing on pig's ears anyways :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have heard the whole washcloth in the freezer thing works wonders. Poor baby, I know Wiz is going to be a terror once his come in, I was looking at his baby teeth yesterday, knowing I will be wishing them farewell soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey :wave:

I didnt know that it could cause anything like that... I am definitely going to look into before Filmore gets any older. I dont want him to have any of those problems. I learn so much from all of you chi owners. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
pigs ears are great for teething but maybe you shouold try an x pen so that when you cant be there to make sure your walls arent being eaten your baby will be safe. Hopefully itll be over soon and you wont have to worry anymore. im not sure if that spray on stuff works but ive seen it at the store. you spray it on whatever you dont want them chewing. good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts