Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya everyone just a few questions really at what age do chis generally stop teething i thought jacob had finished but then all of a sudden one side of his mouth the row of teeth have fell out also it looks like he is growing two layers one from the top and one from another part of the gum is this right ?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No it isn't right if there are 2 teeth in the same space, he might have to have an extraction done. That's usually a baby tooth that didn't come out and an adult tooth that came through anyway. As to when they quit teething, I'm not sure, I've about decided it's endless.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I'm no expert, but have heard it is very important to get an extraction if his baby teeth won't fall out-but the adult teeth are growing in. :wave:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there, all decidous teeth should generally be out by around 9 months, but if they remain by the time you neuter Jacob (6-7 months) then they should be extracted since the longer you wait, if they are intent on not coming out, waiting longer will mean a second experience under anesthesia. If you are not planning on neutering him, ask your vet for advice. He/she may want to wait and see if they look like they are on their way out, or plan for extraction in the event that they don't.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
a chi can continue to teeth untill there around a year old, (aparently smaller breeds are notorious) i talked to my vet baout vixie, who has some of her adult teeth some of them are still along side her baby teeth (we call it shark teeth) he took a look and since im not spaying her untill shes finnished her showing and figure out if shes going to be bred, he said theres no problem, her gums arnt red, she eats her dry food no problme, shows no pain in the area and her adult teeth have/are growing in fine even along side the few remaining babyteeth, he also said if by the time shes a year they havent fallen out then hell pull them. double teeth can effect showing however, and i know your showing your little guy so you alos might want to talk to your vet about that too.
so far vixies done well showing even with the extra teeth but shes still in the puppy ring so...and once they enter the adult ring the impacted teeth (baby alongside adult) is definatly frowned majorly upon. you could prolly get them pulled easily now without any ill effects (and since your proly not neutering because of the showring it will cost less to just have him under for the teeth pulling and is usually very quick. talk to your vet and see what he/she says.

·
Registered
76 Posts
how do i give my puppy the mesage that it not me it chews for teething but his toys. :roll: ouch!!!!. he forgets alot and chews me and it can hurt. :shock: :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts